Never Say Never

redbirds_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
Well, I did this afternoon what I said I would never do back in 2014, I sold my CB1100. The buyer is a good friend who lives nearby so at least I'll get to see the old steed frequently and I did tell him he could come by and use the lift when servicing his "new" bike.

Now to find a new ride, lighter and a bit easier to move around in the garage like Sparky's NC700X. There are some unsold NC750X models around and I'm looking that way first. I'll stay with the forum as I can't imagine a finer group of motorcycle enthusiasts than those I've met here.
 
This may come out of left field but try to find yourself a triumph tiger 800....mine was only 462lbs (lighter than the nc750x) wet and extremely nimble and comfortable. Very easy to move around and youd lose no performance compared to your CB.
 
Crikey! That's a surprise. You're not to leave the forum redbirds. Who else, after all, could be such an effective Sith Lord?

I take it the weight of the CB1100 got a bit much? Good luck in your search for a new bike. Keep us posted.
 
Thread starter
misterprofessionality_imp said:
This may come out of left field but try to find yourself a triumph tiger 800....mine was only 462lbs (lighter than the nc750x) wet and extremely nimble and comfortable. Very easy to move around and youd lose no performance compared to your CB.
I had a 2007 Tiger 1050 that I really liked so the smaller Tiger models are on my list.
Cormanus_imp said:
Crikey! That's a surprise. You're not to leave the forum redbirds. Who else, after all, could be such an effective Sith Lord?

I take it the weight of the CB1100 got a bit much? Good luck in your search for a new bike. Keep us posted.
The weight is the main factor. Arthritis and old shoulder injury make handling the CB more difficult so time for something a bit easier to move around. Since I have been appointed Sith Lord, I will continue to be the force against the cursed RLET.
 
redbirds_imp said:
misterprofessionality_imp said:
This may come out of left field but try to find yourself a triumph tiger 800....mine was only 462lbs (lighter than the nc750x) wet and extremely nimble and comfortable. Very easy to move around and youd lose no performance compared to your CB.
I had a 2007 Tiger 1050 that I really liked so the smaller Tiger models are on my list.
Cormanus_imp said:
Crikey! That's a surprise. You're not to leave the forum redbirds. Who else, after all, could be such an effective Sith Lord?

I take it the weight of the CB1100 got a bit much? Good luck in your search for a new bike. Keep us posted.
The weight is the main factor. Arthritis and old shoulder injury make handling the CB more difficult so time for something a bit easier to move around. Since I have been appointed Sith Lord, I will continue to be the force against the cursed RLET.
You're a good man, redbirds. It's a tough gig being head heretic, but someone has to do it. By the way, you may have to redouble your efforts. See http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=2491&pid=275721#pid275721 and read on. Posts #1423-#1430 are not particularly necessary.
 
@redbirds,
Sorry to hear you let her go but at least she will be within your sight
...and as to RLETs you know how it is to be in the opposition... hard if not very hard :)

@Cormanus
Posts 1423-1430 :thumbsup:
 
Yea, that is a surprise redbirds. I understand the arthritis though.

my son's FIL just sold his ST 1300 to buy an NC 750X due to age and weight

e5257f2db2849aa64f4592d4cde4d53a.jpg


Hard for us under statured guys to find powerful enough bikes that don't weigh a lot and have low enough seat heights.

Glad you have decided to stick around.

When you make a new bike decision, let us know.
 
Congrats Redbirds!!

Before the CB1100 was sold here I looked hard at the NC700 but the price was way too high for what you got.

I understand the 750 is a much better bike. I’ve never seen one though. My dealer doesn’t have any.
 
I was going to suggest a Ninja 400. Ergos are not too far from the CB1100 (a little more forward lean) and it's 200 lbs lighter. But the NC750X gets a lot of good reviews, and the rider triangle is much more open. I guess it depends on the kind of riding you most often do. I'd take the Ninja for commuting, but definitely the NC for touring.
 
That was quick, redbirds. Nice looking bike and a known quantity in your family. I’ll look forward to hearing more about it.
 
Nice.. I like the red/silver. Congrats
 
I had a 2015 nc700x with DCT. Was great for commuting in LA traffic and having the frunk to hold things for a trip to the store or my helmet when parked. The dct really helps save on the wrist with heavy stop and go traffic and the upright seating position gave great visibility in heavy traffic while lane splitting as well. However, the bike didn't feel that light to me while moving it around in the garage, though definitely lighter than the cb1100 I now have.

The seat was absolutely killer for me on the NC after about 45 mins or so and many others have also complained about that so you may want to get a Russell Day Long or something to hopefully solve that problem. I was going to do that and bought some cheap donor seats, but I had to sell the NC when I left the country last year so I never got to try it out. I also opted for some highway pegs since you don't have to use your feet for gear changing with DCT you are free to move around for more comfort whenever you want. This helped keep me going for quite some time while trying to find some cheap donor seats for the day long.

The stock seat height was high for my tastes so I got some lowering links that easily solved that problem so I wouldn't worry too much about seat height if you sit on one and think you don't have enough control.

I tried a little 2up riding, but felt I needed more stopping power as well as a little more grunt, but it was adequate for short trips when necessary. Additionally, it was a bit cumbersome with the higher center of gravity telegraphing the passenger's movements. I have not tried 2up on the cb1100 yet so can't compare it, but hope to check that out soon.

The only downsides I found with the dct are:

1) the automated shifting in various modes might not align to where you feel comfortable so if you drive regularly in auto mode you will have to find the one that suits you best and shift where you want it early or just drive in "manual" all the time.

2) In stop and go traffic at the right speed, you can get hopping back and forth between gears that is pretty annoying. Since you can put it in "manual" mode at the press of a button I just learned to flip it ad hoc when I knew I needed to.

3) it can feel a bit unsettling to have it shift mid lean in a turn, but it didn't cause me any real problems just felt weird when it unexpectedly happens.

Overall, I highly recommend the NC as a daily commuter, but I would definitely go with the 750 if you have the option for a little more power. I sometimes wished they had a larger engine version like the Africa twin, but not so ridiculously tall. Especially when going from near dead stop to hauling a** to get in the carpool lane, but overall it usually had enough grunt to get me where I needed quickly. I never took it off road so can't comment on the "adventure" side of things I just saw it as a great daily commuter. However, in my opinion I would rather have a lighter bike for any off-road heavy trips, maybe the Royal Enfield Himalayan.
 
Thread starter
My wife has an NC700 X that I ride often. It's a manual shift model. Much like the two V-stroms we've owned in the past, it rides and feels like a larger displacement bike but is better than the V-strom in a few respects. The very smooth parallel twin of the NC seems to have more torque at lower revs. The brakes are world's better than the V-strom. The seat seems fine with me at least for a hundred miles or so, longest stint I've had on it. I also prefer the 17" wheels for the ease of finding replacement tires. Weight wise it's about the same but with the under seat tank the Honda feels much lighter than the V-strom and overall handling is better, even on dirt where the Suzuki would seem to have an advantage. I lowered her NC about 1" with adjustable links but may leave mine as is. The faux tank storage is a big plus also.
 
I hope you enjoy your new ride. I just got my cb1100 last week so I am still exploring my new ride as well. Funny that we are kinda trading places in that regard. I forgot to mention the NC didn't have rlets but my cb1100 does. When I first saw them I thought what are these sidewalk condoms... LOL
Just saw your pics. Those new tank strap mounts and the angled muffler are a really cool update from the model I had.
 
Back
Top