NC750XD: Initial review ...

Thread starter
Django_imp said:
The left handlebar looks still weird to me without the clutch lever.
Strangely I don't find myself grabbing for the [would be] clutch lever as much as I expected. However, I have tapped the left toe a few times, but of course to no avail.
 
Thread starter
The evening was blowing rain and 21C. Couldn't resist. Took the Mule for a stormy 90 minute night ride up to Armpit, Ontario. I find stormy night rides therapeutic.

Pros:
[ul] [li]Torque control in blowing rain and slick roads was excellent. Better than expected. No surprises. No control issues, possibly control over-confidence.[/li] [li]Everything worked as hoped in stormy conditions.[/li] [li]For the most part, gusts mostly had no affect on the bike, or at least nothing that wasn't easily handled. In all cases, the CB1100 probably would have not budged.[/li] [li]Hardly used the brakes because the dual clutch system seemed to engine brake well. This was a bonus on painted roads and wet road snakes.
[/li][/ul]
Cons:
[ul] [li]The LED headlight is dismal at night. It is bright, but it seems overly dispersed, particularly on the wet surfaces. Can't see things like pot holes. The stock halogen headlamp on the CB is superior, I think.[/li] [li]Reaching for the high beam switch with gloved hand is impeded somewhat by the Torque Control switch. I find it takes a bit of extra effort.
[/li][/ul]
 
Not a fair weather rider I see. Good on ya GO!
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Not a fair weather rider I see. Good on ya GO!
Thanks Ferret. I don't mind riding in rain, as long as it is cool enough. I get something out of it, especially during thunderstorms, except when water starts entering the riding boot. I remember wringing my socks out on a ferry out of Burlington, VT. I was not happy.

Probably more importantly, I don't like cleaning chrome. The CB has much chrome. It looks wonderful, but it is something I rather not deal with, so the CB does not purposefully see heavy rain riding action.
 
Funny my wife and I washed the winter grit off of the FJR, which is normally my foul weather bike, day before yesterday so it is all shiny and clean. When rain was predicted all day today I was hesitant to take it out and get it dirty again right away. It rained last night so the roads were wet but it was only misting when I woke up, so I grabbed the CB which was due to be washed anyway, and got it dirtier again this morning. Not sure what I am going to ride tomorrow lol
 
Thread starter
Yeah, understood. When the labour is poured into something like washing/cleaning/polishing up something, I think it is natural to hold and enjoy it just a bit before messing it all up again. There is a real and genuine energy that is felt in the form of accomplishment that cannot be ignored, and even though it may seem at times materialistic, it is important that we feel good about it.
 
It could never be said that I rate among leading motorcycle cleaners. The whole business is tedious, time consuming and an intrusion into riding time. However ... nothing is more dispiriting than having gone to all the trouble of cleaning the beast and then having it rained on first time out.

I think I read earlier, Ferret, that rain is forecast for you for a few days? Ride the CB until it passes.
 
Thread starter
peterbaron_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
Stable Mates neck-and-neck ...
GO, I just spotted now, excellent set up: bikes, colour and arrangement...NC looks like new
GO, I just spotted now, excellent set up: bikes, colour and arrangement...NC looks like new
Thanks PB. :)

The NC was new in the photo, but is now a bit of a mud pie.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
Stable Mates neck-and-neck ...
GO, I just spotted now, excellent set up: bikes, colour and arrangement...NC looks like new
GO, I just spotted now, excellent set up: bikes, colour and arrangement...NC looks like new
Thanks PB. :)

The NC was new in the photo, but is now a bit of a mud pie.
GO, I just spotted now, excellent set up: bikes, colour and arrangement...NC looks like new
Thanks PB. :)

The NC was new in the photo, but is now a bit of a mud pie.
How many Kms on NC?
 
Thread starter
peterbaron_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
Stable Mates neck-and-neck ...
GO, I just spotted now, excellent set up: bikes, colour and arrangement...NC looks like new
GO, I just spotted now, excellent set up: bikes, colour and arrangement...NC looks like new
Thanks PB. :)

The NC was new in the photo, but is now a bit of a mud pie.
GO, I just spotted now, excellent set up: bikes, colour and arrangement...NC looks like new
Thanks PB. :)

The NC was new in the photo, but is now a bit of a mud pie.
How many Kms on NC?
It's new - still breaking it in, so less than 1000.
 
Thread starter
Range:

So far with the engine still new and tight, and the riding weather for the most part cold (between 3 and 15C), the following is the range based on mostly stretches of 85 to 130 km/h:

* Unleaded gasoline.
* 25% city, 75% highway.
* Average spirited riding.
* Tank range including reserve: 380 kms (based on 14L)
* If riding was more in line to 80 to 100 km/h, a 400 km range should be achievable.

I expect as the engine gets used and average temperatures rise, economy should improve.
 
I don't know why, because I'd never ride it that far without getting off for a break, but I wish the CB1100 had a range nearer 400 kms.
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
I don't know why, because I'd never ride it that far without getting off for a break, but I wish the CB1100 had a range nearer 400 kms.
I suppose one could if they have the extra capacity tank (I don't), and drive at 80 km/h all day on flat Grade A road. Could be a fictional stretch, yes. Even if possible, would you? You'd fall asleep from boredom. Plus, a larger tank might give range, but not better economy. I would have to carry an extra Jerry can of maybe 4L, but that would turn the CB into a sort of mule bike.

I suppose the CB was marketed for simply pure enjoyment.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
I don't know why, because I'd never ride it that far without getting off for a break, but I wish the CB1100 had a range nearer 400 kms.
I suppose one could if they have the extra capacity tank (I don't), and drive at 80 km/h all day on flat Grade A road. Could be a fictional stretch, yes. Even if possible, would you? You'd fall asleep from boredom. Plus, a larger tank might give range, but not better economy. I would have to carry an extra Jerry can of maybe 4L, but that would turn the CB into a sort of mule bike.

I suppose the CB was marketed for simply pure enjoyment.
I suppose one could if they have the extra capacity tank (I don't), and drive at 80 km/h all day on flat Grade A road. Could be a fictional stretch, yes. Even if possible, would you? You'd fall asleep from boredom. Plus, a larger tank might give range, but not better economy. I would have to carry an extra Jerry can of maybe 4L, but that would turn the CB into a sort of mule bike.

I suppose the CB was marketed for simply pure enjoyment.
A 17 L tank is your salvation
 
exactly and a 6speed...

bcos with the tank of the DLX / 2017 Model.....you get your 400km bcos it needs 4l per 100km....(minimum in my hands)
The ferret_imp said:
Found out today my FJR will pull cleanly in 6th from 30 mph and uphill in 6th at 34 mph lol.
for something has a (big) engine torque......like the NC engine too.....use the force = torque or without force no move........power/rpm only if play the time a roll...rpms sucks only the tank empty for nothing.....

what lug ? nooo its force torque... ! .......self the NC engine turns round in 5tspeed with 50km/h- 30ml/h.....

and DCT by NC models accept by 60km/h already the 6speed....





hey peoples....

study one time the curves of a dynojet.(.performance test bench)..torque and power in relation to the gears (rpm) and speed (odo)
or
how much torque you have already if you stand only on place.. ..and 3/4 of max torque is in 99% of drivesituations already more as good


.
 
Thread starter
Manual Mode:

Took the NC750XD for a spirited ride today focusing exclusively on the Manual shift mode. This is the mode I would use for a spirited ride with a lot of curves. If you just wish to casually cruise twisties, then Drive or one of the Sport modes will do.

Gear switching in Manual mode is incredibly smooth and instant. If the engine and load reasonably mesh, you feel nothing during the gear transition. If they are somewhat not matched, it is still incredibly smooth, but you will feel a subtle change in torque. Acceleration is much better in Manual mode than Drive mode and it is surprisingly fun. In Manual mode, twisties felt great and was as one would expect from any bike. I was satisfied. Even the frame, suspension and tires agreed with me. I also like the option that I can dynamically slip in and out of Manual mode anytime.

I did notice that fuel economy dropped in Manual mode. This kind of shows how well Honda is at stretching the range in Drive mode.

It is bliss to have options.
 
Thread starter
July Update:

Well, there isn't much more to say than what has already been said. Previous remarks are still relevant now as they were before. Let me try and provide a pointed assessment:

Pros:
[ul] [li]Decent fuel economy even with very spirited rides. Current average is 3.5L/100 kms (67.2 mpg U.S.) for a range of about 400 kms. Stay 80 km/h (50 mph) all day, and the figure drops to 2.8L/100 kms. For comparison, spirited rides on the CB experience 6.0L/100 kms.[/li] [li]Really fun handling for my body frame and weight. Even two up in the saddle is very easy.[/li] [li]Excellent in-town commuter. Really easy to maneuver the machine.[/li] [li]Excellent highway commuter. Good candidate for a mid-sized tourer.[/li] [li]I really like the Manual Mode gear selection. It works incredibly well.[/li] [li]The suspension has nothing on the CB, but unexpectedly it works very well for me.[/li] [li]I like the behaviour of the factory tires. We'll see how long they'll last. So far no early surprises.[/li] [li]Built-in storage and power outlet gets used all the time.
[/li][/ul]
Cons:
[ul] [li]The stock LED headlight sucks, sucks, sucks.[/li] [li]Pretty well all the automatic modes (Drive, and Sport Modes) are yucky. I can't trust them in curves. The most useful auto mode might be Sport Mode S2 when feeling lazy. It is also useful in urban traffic.[/li] [li]The front fender is totally useless in wet weather. The feet get drenched.[/li] [li]You want acceleration punch at 100 km/h? Use the CB. Otherwise, accept at least two seconds behind.
[/li][/ul]
End of the initial review.
 
Back
Top