NC750XD: Initial review ...

Thread starter
Django_imp said:
Let me German ask: What do you mean by lugging in this context?
My interpretation of [engine] lugging is operating at an RPM low enough that it just provides enough torque to move under load (high gear). Forget horsepower as there is likely little to leverage. If the RPM drops even lower, then lugging can become problematic.

I suppose this is one of the strengths of Harleys, and in many cases, larger single thumpers given their engine configuration.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
I find lugging the CB better than many other rides in its class, but much less so than the NC. Lugging inline-4s is overall not a healthy practice.

- - -

Rboe: I am surprised to read lugging the Griso is problematic. That would be a show stopper for me. I would opt for a Triumph T120 in that case. Disappointing to hear.
VLJ_imp said:
GoldOxide Wrote:The NC loves to lug (50 ft-lbs max). You can lug all day if that is how you feel. Maybe you don't feel well or you are not at the top of your game. The NC will bring you home comfortably. For a 745 cc inline twin, the torque is there low and in the middle. Try lugging the CB all day. Yeah, I thought so.
Lugging the CB all day is not only easy as pie, it was designed from the start to do exactly that. As in, literally. That was its specific purpose for being. I have 40,000 miles on mine, and nearly every last one was spent below 3K rpm, in full-on Lugging It Mode.

Yep, I think one would be hard-pressed to find a better motorcycle for lugging than the CB.

Sincerely,
mickey
I would consider ~2K on the CB as a fair starting point for lugging.
I would consider ~2K on the CB as a fair starting point for lugging.
The CB is perfectly happy at or below 2K rpm. At any rpm the CB motor effortlessly, happily pulls, smoothly and without complaint. It basically cannot be made to bog. It won't do it.
 
Thread starter
VLJ_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
I find lugging the CB better than many other rides in its class, but much less so than the NC. Lugging inline-4s is overall not a healthy practice.

- - -

Rboe: I am surprised to read lugging the Griso is problematic. That would be a show stopper for me. I would opt for a Triumph T120 in that case. Disappointing to hear.
VLJ_imp said:
GoldOxide Wrote:The NC loves to lug (50 ft-lbs max). You can lug all day if that is how you feel. Maybe you don't feel well or you are not at the top of your game. The NC will bring you home comfortably. For a 745 cc inline twin, the torque is there low and in the middle. Try lugging the CB all day. Yeah, I thought so.
Lugging the CB all day is not only easy as pie, it was designed from the start to do exactly that. As in, literally. That was its specific purpose for being. I have 40,000 miles on mine, and nearly every last one was spent below 3K rpm, in full-on Lugging It Mode.

Yep, I think one would be hard-pressed to find a better motorcycle for lugging than the CB.

Sincerely,
mickey
I would consider ~2K on the CB as a fair starting point for lugging.
I would consider ~2K on the CB as a fair starting point for lugging.
The CB is perfectly happy at or below 2K rpm. At any rpm the CB motor effortlessly, happily pulls, smoothly and without complaint. It basically cannot be made to bog. It won't do it.
I don't disagree since I have riding the CB for five years. However, it would need to catch up to the NC in this situation.
 
Catch up, how? Having so much more torque down low, the CB always pulls harder than the NC, regardless of RPM. Also, its slipper-assist clutch doles out all that extra torque as smoothly as can be, right from tick-over.

Honestly, how could it do low-rpm lugging any better? If the motor is running, it pulls. You can't bog it, or find any spot on the tach at which point the motor complains in the slightest. It pulls so smoothly and evenly from the basement on up, it may as well be a good V8.

So, other than simply being lighter, albeit far less torquey and powerful, how does the NC lug any better than the CB?
 
Thread starter
VLJ_imp said:
Catch up, how? Having so much more torque down low, the CB always pulls harder than the NC, regardless of RPM. Also, its slipper-assist clutch doles out all that extra torque as smoothly as can be, right from tick-over.

Honestly, how could it do low-rpm lugging any better? If the motor is running, it pulls. You can't bog it, or find any spot on the tach at which point the motor complains in the slightest. It pulls so smoothly and evenly from the basement on up, it may as well be a good V8.

So, other than simply being lighter, albeit far less torquey and powerful, how does the NC lug any better than the CB?
Respectfully VLJ, keeping within the context of initial observation, I would be surprised if you ride in sixth at 50 km/h (31 mph?) all day, stop'n'go in traffic on the CB. The NC handles that effortlessly in and out - and that really is the point.

My CB has no slipper clutch, but it is pretty good without it. I didn't consider the effect of the slipper. Nevertheless, I know I would be revving a bit higher (lower gear) to keep ready for options on the CB. Heck, when not lugging, I do the exact same on the NC.
 
Even I shift down to 5 th at 35
 
Found out today my FJR will pull cleanly in 6th from 30 mph and uphill in 6th at 34 mph lol.
 
I think that there might be a difference what an engine CAN do and what is best for an engine (in bikes, cars and other gas powered equipment.
 
Yea that isn't how I normally ride, I would probably be in third or 4th in that situation, however like GO said "locomotive" and that's an admirable feature I find in big inline 4's. My 77 KZ1000, my 81 GS 1100E, my FZ 1000, my ST 1300... in fact all my liter plus 4 cyls were capable of pulling 30 mph in top gear without bucking or lugging the motors. I like that, but that doesn't mean I run around at 30 in 6th all the time.
 
Beautiful GO! :thumbsup:

I like the colors on that NC
 
Thread starter
Thanks y'all. I believe in the 2019 NC model, the silver is replaced with a more darker, pewter tone. Arguably, the 2019 model is less visible, but fashionably dark.
 
Back
Top