NC Deflector DX...

Got my NC Deflector DX today. Mounted it and went out for a test ride on the freeway. I've got it mounted so it just clears the headlight, and raked so it just clears the guages. I'm 6'3", and the wind hits me right under the bottom of my helmet, which is perfect.

I had ridden up to Jerome from Phoenix a couple of weeks ago, about 120 miles each way and mostly freeway, and the wind just beat the snot out of me at 70-90 MPH. On my test ride with the DX I ran the bike up to 90 and man what a difference! No more holding my body against the wind with my lower back tweaking out.

I really like the handlebar only mounting system, and the fact that the shield comes off so easily leaving only a couple of hardly noticeable brackets on the bars. It's a good compromise for me as I really love the look of the bike naked and prefer to ride it that way.
 
jodyz_imp said:
Flynrider_imp said:
Those look like they'll do the job.

I'm not crazy about the look, but they do look better than the solid ones adapted from dirt bikes and ATVs.

Since you didn't mention it, is it safe to assume that the installation was pretty easy?
Very simple to install, adjust the hand guards. The windscreen takes a bit more fiddling with to get it centered. I've got mine touching the top of the headlight housing and it's rock steady at 80+. Takes the high pressure wind off the chest but there's still plenty of air coming around to keep you cool. I may try raising the screen so it sits high like on NC's website to reduce the helmet buffeting, but I'm happy with it for now.
Very simple to install, adjust the hand guards. The windscreen takes a bit more fiddling with to get it centered. I've got mine touching the top of the headlight housing and it's rock steady at 80+. Takes the high pressure wind off the chest but there's still plenty of air coming around to keep you cool. I may try raising the screen so it sits high like on NC's website to reduce the helmet buffeting, but I'm happy with it for now.
best way to center it is to sit on the bike, you have vantage point. I find out wearing gloves will help to unscrew/screw the bolts
 
I mounted the NC Deflector Shield on mine last week. I have it mounted about as high as it will go (without looking rediculous), and I wish it was taller. I'm 6 FT. tall and the wind hits right at the top of my shoulders... not uncomfortable, but a bit more buffeting at speed than I expected.
 
Gheil, try dropping it down as low as it will go and see what the difference is. I believe we have found on this forum, that without a full coverage shield, the sweet spot seems to be about 8 1/2 to 10" from ignition switch to top edge of shield.
 
jodyz_imp said:
Flynrider_imp said:
Those look like they'll do the job.

I'm not crazy about the look, but they do look better than the solid ones adapted from dirt bikes and ATVs.

Since you didn't mention it, is it safe to assume that the installation was pretty easy?
Very simple to install, adjust the hand guards. The windscreen takes a bit more fiddling with to get it centered. I've got mine touching the top of the headlight housing and it's rock steady at 80+. Takes the high pressure wind off the chest but there's still plenty of air coming around to keep you cool. I may try raising the screen so it sits high like on NC's website to reduce the helmet buffeting, but I'm happy with it for now.
Very simple to install, adjust the hand guards. The windscreen takes a bit more fiddling with to get it centered. I've got mine touching the top of the headlight housing and it's rock steady at 80+. Takes the high pressure wind off the chest but there's still plenty of air coming around to keep you cool. I may try raising the screen so it sits high like on NC's website to reduce the helmet buffeting, but I'm happy with it for now.
I mount this windshield like the bike on the left, as high as I can, but I still gives me too much wind noise. I once have it mounted like the one on the right, wind noise is unacceptable even in city.

yesterday, I was on the highway again, put my left hand on top of the wind shield at 75 MPH (like the one on left) it blocks noise by 75%. the total height including my hand is as tall as the rear view mirror
 
cbdtran_imp said:
jodyz_imp said:
Flynrider_imp said:
Those look like they'll do the job.

I'm not crazy about the look, but they do look better than the solid ones adapted from dirt bikes and ATVs.

Since you didn't mention it, is it safe to assume that the installation was pretty easy?
Very simple to install, adjust the hand guards. The windscreen takes a bit more fiddling with to get it centered. I've got mine touching the top of the headlight housing and it's rock steady at 80+. Takes the high pressure wind off the chest but there's still plenty of air coming around to keep you cool. I may try raising the screen so it sits high like on NC's website to reduce the helmet buffeting, but I'm happy with it for now.
Very simple to install, adjust the hand guards. The windscreen takes a bit more fiddling with to get it centered. I've got mine touching the top of the headlight housing and it's rock steady at 80+. Takes the high pressure wind off the chest but there's still plenty of air coming around to keep you cool. I may try raising the screen so it sits high like on NC's website to reduce the helmet buffeting, but I'm happy with it for now.
I mount this windshield like the bike on the left, as high as I can, but I still gives me too much wind noise. I once have it mounted like the one on the right, wind noise is unacceptable even in city.

yesterday, I was on the highway again, put my left hand on top of the wind shield at 75 MPH (like the one on left) it blocks noise by 75%. the total height including my hand is as tall as the rear view mirror
Are you referring to this photo?



I hope that tag works...

I think those are two different windshields... Maybe the one on the right as it would appear larger to me, might be a difference maker for you? Just a thought...
 
dBuster_imp said:
cbdtran_imp said:
jodyz_imp said:
Flynrider_imp said:
Those look like they'll do the job.

I'm not crazy about the look, but they do look better than the solid ones adapted from dirt bikes and ATVs.

Since you didn't mention it, is it safe to assume that the installation was pretty easy?
Very simple to install, adjust the hand guards. The windscreen takes a bit more fiddling with to get it centered. I've got mine touching the top of the headlight housing and it's rock steady at 80+. Takes the high pressure wind off the chest but there's still plenty of air coming around to keep you cool. I may try raising the screen so it sits high like on NC's website to reduce the helmet buffeting, but I'm happy with it for now.
Very simple to install, adjust the hand guards. The windscreen takes a bit more fiddling with to get it centered. I've got mine touching the top of the headlight housing and it's rock steady at 80+. Takes the high pressure wind off the chest but there's still plenty of air coming around to keep you cool. I may try raising the screen so it sits high like on NC's website to reduce the helmet buffeting, but I'm happy with it for now.
I mount this windshield like the bike on the left, as high as I can, but I still gives me too much wind noise. I once have it mounted like the one on the right, wind noise is unacceptable even in city.

yesterday, I was on the highway again, put my left hand on top of the wind shield at 75 MPH (like the one on left) it blocks noise by 75%. the total height including my hand is as tall as the rear view mirror
Are you referring to this photo?



I hope that tag works...

I think those are two different windshields... Maybe the one on the right as it would appear larger to me, might be a difference maker for you? Just a thought...
Are you referring to this photo?



I hope that tag works...

I think those are two different windshields... Maybe the one on the right as it would appear larger to me, might be a difference maker for you? Just a thought...
yes, I refer to this photo, only with small exception:

1) on the left, I mount a little higher. On the right, a little lower, the base touch the head light. As far as the physical mounting device and my handle bar allows.

I don't have enough room of the base mount on handle bar. I call NC to complain about wind noise, they say it is very adjustable, the end result is not good enough even I use the photo as reference, since the mounting device has physical limit - angle, height etc...

I need to try out more with some type of add on device to reduce the wind noise. This windshield doesn't provide adequate noise protection and just enough wind protection on the chest.

It all depend on how the environment, some days, little noise, some day, deafening on highway.

All I want is a very small device mounted to cover my chest in winter time. I rather ride naked because the windshield doesn't work in all condition unless I use a huge windshield on the bike which I might to protect my ears
 
OMG ... these plastic deflectors are ... uhm, ah ... unbelievable ...
Hey guys, please do not deface your pretty CB 1100 with such ugly things! :D
They might be practically, but die as a man, withstand the wind! :D
 
Thread starter
My Comet fairing just came in today, the NC deflector will be coming off this weekend......I'll be giving up some wind relief for good looks.
 
HikerToo_imp said:
My Comet fairing just came in today, the NC deflector will be coming off this weekend......I'll be giving up some wind relief for good looks.
Don't forget some pictures of the new setup!
 
Thread starter
CB4ME_imp said:
HikerToo_imp said:
My Comet fairing just came in today, the NC deflector will be coming off this weekend......I'll be giving up some wind relief for good looks.
Don't forget some pictures of the new setup!
Don't forget some pictures of the new setup!
CB4ME, I'm hoping it will look like yours, I got the side covers too, and Staintune, not sure you have that....any special hints for installing it?
Install shield before/after fairing is mounted?
Head light aiming?
 
ingobohn_imp said:
OMG ... these plastic deflectors are ... uhm, ah ... unbelievable ...
Hey guys, please do not deface your pretty CB 1100 with such ugly things! :D
They might be practically, but die as a man, withstand the wind! :D
it is clear, some might NOT notice its presence. this is the reason I want it clear, not smoked
 
I'm going to putting up my Wind Deflector DX tinted shield with quick mounting system also with an extra tinted DX shield up for sale (basically two exact shields for one low price). If anyone's interested, please let me know. Haven't thought of a price yet. Wonder what a fair price might be.
 
Thread starter
Rboe_imp said:
Gonna keep that NC or pawn it off on some poor shmoe? :) I might be interested.
I think I will sell the old NC Deflector DX, does not look bad at all, is 5 months old, 3K miles, was $134 originally, how about $50 plus $20 shipping for big box, Paypal, let me know Rboe since you asked first and before I start separate thread on this sale. It does have the two marks where screen rubbed against gauges, but not as bad as I thought it would be, see photos. Thanks

 
I saw the NC people at the International Motorcycle Show in Atlanta today. They told me the same thing that Ferret mentioned... mount it low with less of a rake and the wind will be deflected 'higher'. I haven't re-aligned mine yet... but will try it when back in Fla.
 
Back
Top