NC Deflector DX...

HikerToo_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
OK, just put a new National Cycle Deflector DX on tonight.
http://shop.nationalcycle.com/perl/cycle/N2594
Good price, solid enough mount, but.....its seems like the height is just at the point where my helmet(head) is in the middle of the wind buffeting. If I lower my head a few inches I have no wind, if I sit up super straight I get a more constant wind......I guess I still have some adjustment so can report back if I work this out.
And can post photo although same as I have seen in other posts.
 
With the three adjustment points on each side, there's a lot of flexibility. I have mine adjusted as low as possible. It sits on top of the headlight with the rake adjusted so that it just clears the gauges. I like to keep my helmet in the wind, so that the ventilation will work in the summer.

If you look at the CB11 pic on the Nat. Cycle site, they installed that one a couple of inches above the headlight with not so much rake. I'd guess that setup would be almost 3 inches taller than mine. You should be able to find a combination that works with some trial and error adjustments.

Good luck!
 
Flynrider_imp said:
With the three adjustment points on each side, there's a lot of flexibility. I have mine adjusted as low as possible. It sits on top of the headlight with the rake adjusted so that it just clears the gauges. I like to keep my helmet in the wind, so that the ventilation will work in the summer.

If you look at the CB11 pic on the Nat. Cycle site, they installed that one a couple of inches above the headlight with not so much rake. I'd guess that setup would be almost 3 inches taller than mine. You should be able to find a combination that works with some trial and error adjustments.

Good luck!
I tend towards having them as high as possible, way higher than the designers probably had in mind. Looks goofy, but mounted that way, the protection from such a minimal piece is great.
 
Getting chilly in east Texas so I ordered the Deflector DX and hand deflectors from NC. Almost went for the big Plexi 2, but changed my mind while I was putting in the order. I hope to have it in within the next two weeks. Can't wait.
 
Hey Jodyz, let us know how that combo works out when it cools off. I use a big Plexi 3 on my CB750 in the winter. I have a Deflector DX on both the CB750 and CB11 for summer use. I was thinking about just leaving the Deflector on the CB11 and just adding the hand deflectors over the winter. It doesn't get super cold in Phoenix, so I'm hoping that might do the trick.
 
HikerToo_imp said:
OK, just put a new National Cycle Deflector DX on tonight.
http://shop.nationalcycle.com/perl/cycle/N2594
Good price, solid enough mount, but.....its seems like the height is just at the point where my helmet(head) is in the middle of the wind buffeting. If I lower my head a few inches I have no wind, if I sit up super straight I get a more constant wind......I guess I still have some adjustment so can report back if I work this out.
And can post photo although same as I have seen in other posts.
Hiker,
My EX also hit me right in the eyes, adjusting high and low made minimal difference. I cut 6" off the screen, always that option. I like it so much I'm buying a second shield for a back up.
 
Hiker..measure from top edge of shield to ignition. Seems to me from others experience that 8-10" above ign is the sweet spot.
 
Flynrider_imp said:
Hey Jodyz, let us know how that combo works out when it cools off. I use a big Plexi 3 on my CB750 in the winter. I have a Deflector DX on both the CB750 and CB11 for summer use. I was thinking about just leaving the Deflector on the CB11 and just adding the hand deflectors over the winter. It doesn't get super cold in Phoenix, so I'm hoping that might do the trick.
I'll be putting the hand guards on this weekend.
 
Pics of the screen and hand guards installed. I've slightly altered the mounts and angle of the screen after these pics were taken but the change is hardly noticeable. Shouldn't be too cold on my ride to work in the morning as I'm expecting high 40s, low 50s. Now if I can just avoid the 20% rain chance.

Not real fond of the form, but the function is to extend my fall/winter riding time.



 
Wonder how that would help out here where we are already looking at 20's and 30's.... Bet they keep the wind off of the hands big time! Those hand guards that is of course...
 
dBuster_imp said:
Wonder how that would help out here where we are already looking at 20's and 30's.... Bet they keep the wind off of the hands big time! Those hand guards that is of course...
They do make quite a difference, and didn't interfere with levers at all. Despite their utility, the hand guards will come off as early as possible in the Spring.
 
Those look like they'll do the job.

I'm not crazy about the look, but they do look better than the solid ones adapted from dirt bikes and ATVs.

Since you didn't mention it, is it safe to assume that the installation was pretty easy?
 
Flynrider_imp said:
Those look like they'll do the job.

I'm not crazy about the look, but they do look better than the solid ones adapted from dirt bikes and ATVs.

Since you didn't mention it, is it safe to assume that the installation was pretty easy?
Very simple to install, adjust the hand guards. The windscreen takes a bit more fiddling with to get it centered. I've got mine touching the top of the headlight housing and it's rock steady at 80+. Takes the high pressure wind off the chest but there's still plenty of air coming around to keep you cool. I may try raising the screen so it sits high like on NC's website to reduce the helmet buffeting, but I'm happy with it for now.
 
Thread starter
JodyZ, how do those hands guards actually install, to the mirror mounts?
And do they keep your hands out of wind, in a still pocket?
 
HikerToo_imp said:
JodyZ, how do those hands guards actually install, to the mirror mounts?
And do they keep your hands out of wind, in a still pocket?
Yes. They install between between the bar and the mirror mount. It comes with a crush washer to keep things in place. I have less than an inch clearance between the guard and the ball end of the lever. With my palms on the grips, I can extend my fingers straight out and I can't touch the guards. Your mileage (clearance) may vary. It does block most, but not all of the wind. I think they do what I expected of them.

I wanted to experiment with different heights of the windscreen this weekend but it appears that rain is in the forecast.
 
Back
Top