Naked?

The Spaceman_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
The motorcycle press, both print and electronic, are hyping the "Naked" bike as the new hot market segment. Examples include the S1000R, the NineArty, etc.


Naked bikes lead motorcycle sales boom

Is the CB a naked bike? Its reasonable to ask "why does it matter?" My answer: If Honda sees the CB as a "naked" bike (I'm already tired of using the word "naked") then they might put reallyre resources into the line, or expand it, or even do something like sending the CB1300 to the US.
 
I don't like the term "naked" either, but few, if any of the bikes on the link you posted are truly naked. They all seem to have mini fairings or plastic shrouds of some sort. They should really be called "naked modern".

Really, the only truly naked bikes are what others are calling "standards" of which "retro-standard" is the sub-category in which I would put the CB1100 .

Other "retro-standards" include such models as:
Yamaha SR400
Suzuki TU250
Triumph Bonnies
Moto Guzzi V7 Classic, Stone...
 
The Spaceman_imp said:
The motorcycle press, both print and electronic, are hyping the "Naked" bike as the new hot market segment. Examples include the S1000R, the NineArty, etc.


Naked bikes lead motorcycle sales boom

Is the CB a naked bike? Its reasonable to ask "why does it matter?" My answer: If Honda sees the CB as a "naked" bike (I'm already tired of using the word "naked") then they might put reallyre resources into the line, or expand it, or even do something like sending the CB1300 to the US.
:rofl: I like that!

In my mind a naked bike is a superbike without the fairings or "naked".

I don't think either of our bikes should be in the naked catagory.
I vote Retro
 
I think retro-standard clearly defines the CB 1100 however if you try and look it up on Hondas website it is listed on the "sport" category with interceptors and f model 650s and 500s etc.
 
Gumby 1100_imp said:
I don't like the term "naked" either, but few, if any of the bikes on the link you posted are truly naked. They all seem to have mini fairings or plastic shrouds of some sort. They should really be called "naked modern".

Really, the only truly naked bikes are what others are calling "standards" of which "retro-standard" is the sub-category in which I would put the CB1100 .

Other "retro-standards" include such models as:
Yamaha SR400
Suzuki TU250
Triumph Bonnies
Moto Guzzi V7 Classic, Stone...
The ferret_imp said:
I think retro-standard clearly defines the CB 1100 however if you try and look it up on Hondas website it is listed on the "sport" category with interceptors and f model 650s and 500s etc.
That's even better
 
'Naked bike' is a ghastly term. As I recall, the CB1100 was sold in Australia as a naked bike.
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
'Naked bike' is a ghastly term. As I recall, the CB1100 was sold in Australia as a naked bike.
Wieners flapping in the breeze, butt-cheeks squashed across sweaty saddles, big floppy moobs jouncing about over rough stretches of pavement.

Ghastly indeed.
 
The CB will always just be a "standard" to me.
As mentioned, technically a "naked" is a sportbike with little or no fairing/bodywork from the factory, just as a "streetfighter" technically (or should I say - originally) should be a sportbike with the bodywork removed by the owner, usually after crashing and not being able to afford replacement bodywork.
As we've all seen, over the years motorcycle terms tend to morph and/or become adopted by manufacturers as names for what they want them to be. :rolleyes:
The Spaceman_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
'Naked bike' is a ghastly term. As I recall, the CB1100 was sold in Australia as a naked bike.
Wieners flapping in the breeze, butt-cheeks squashed across sweaty saddles, big floppy moobs jouncing about over rough stretches of pavement.

Ghastly indeed.
Now that is at once both hilarious and incredibly unsettling...
:D
 
I prefer "standard" to "naked" in referencing our bike. However, I do have a woman rider friend on Facebook who offered to send me a picture of her "naked gixxer". Turns out, it was just her bike with the plastics removed. :(
 
The Spaceman_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
'Naked bike' is a ghastly term. As I recall, the CB1100 was sold in Australia as a naked bike.
Wieners flapping in the breeze, butt-cheeks squashed across sweaty saddles, big floppy moobs jouncing about over rough stretches of pavement.

Ghastly indeed.
Wieners flapping in the breeze, butt-cheeks squashed across sweaty saddles, big floppy moobs jouncing about over rough stretches of pavement.

Ghastly indeed.
Gee, Spaceman, you've launched to an entirely new level!
 
Seems like there can be quite a bit of overlap between a standard and a naked. I definitely think of the CB1100 as a standard while I think of my Hawk GT as a naked bike. One reason for this is that the frame (not the subframe) is fully exposed on the Hawk — the fuel tank does not cover it up, but sits on top of the twin spars.Some might call both bikes nakeds, while others might call them both standard (retro-standard and modern-standard?). Whatever, they're both great bikes.

c907d59122add7bea1cfaf1db9be32cd.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
The Spaceman_imp said:
HikerToo_imp said:
Did imiss it? I saw every type except "naked."

I did learn a new one though: "Underbones." Yeah, Underbones. Don't even get me started on that one...
I dunno. I can think of circumstance where underbones may be most agreeable. Discuss.
 
The Spaceman_imp said:
HikerToo_imp said:
Did imiss it? I saw every type except "naked."

I did learn a new one though: "Underbones." Yeah, Underbones. Don't even get me started on that one...
Agreed. Please. :rofl:

Cormanus_imp said:
The Spaceman_imp said:
HikerToo_imp said:
Did imiss it? I saw every type except "naked."

I did learn a new one though: "Underbones." Yeah, Underbones. Don't even get me started on that one...
I dunno. I can think of circumstance where underbones may be most agreeable. Discuss.
I dunno. I can think of circumstance where underbones may be most agreeable. Discuss.
As if the Spaceman is really in need of any more material to work with?

Now with that said, and effectively contradicting myself — while I can acknowledge that my Hawk could be considered a naked bike I don't share that info with people that aren't into bikes (although I could probably easily explain it to them if need be). But "underbone"? There is just no way.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
The Spaceman_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
'Naked bike' is a ghastly term. As I recall, the CB1100 was sold in Australia as a naked bike.
Wieners flapping in the breeze, butt-cheeks squashed across sweaty saddles, big floppy moobs jouncing about over rough stretches of pavement.

Ghastly indeed.
Wieners flapping in the breeze, butt-cheeks squashed across sweaty saddles, big floppy moobs jouncing about over rough stretches of pavement.

Ghastly indeed.
Gee, Spaceman, you've launched to an entirely new level!
Wieners flapping in the breeze, butt-cheeks squashed across sweaty saddles, big floppy moobs jouncing about over rough stretches of pavement.

Ghastly indeed.
Gee, Spaceman, you've launched to an entirely new level!
moobs?
 
Back
Top