My Winter Project: '79 Morini 500

Capo

Road warrior
Thread starter
I need this like a hole in the head, but I've taken in my winter project. Or winter/spring/summer/fall project if things don't go to plan. It is a 1979 Moto Morini 500 V twin, a bike with virtually no presence in the US, but fairly well known, and admired, in Europe.

Pretty amazing engineering for it's day, and known as a light, nimble handler. This one has been sitting for some time, but is all there, and I picked it up for a song. It sat in an airplane hangar next to a rotting, squatting, leaking, and for sale Citroen SM, so in comparison, my project will be a breeze!

Here's a little review, and some pix:

RetroTours.com - 1979 MOTO MORINI 500 STRADA
 
The Moto Morini 500 was a cool little bike. That one looks to be in great shape. Unfortunately here in the Midwest finding dealers for Italian bikes was like finding a Spanish war ship full of gold sunk in the ocean someplace in a storm.
 
Sweet! And looks like excellent condition by the photo - nice score.
I couldn't help but notice the 900SS in the background, too. Miss mine...
 
Thread starter
Papa Weeley_imp said:
Sweet! And looks like excellent condition by the photo - nice score.
I couldn't help but notice the 900SS in the background, too. Miss mine...
Yes, the 900 is a great bike, easy access to Ducati ownership without much headache. The Morini is all there, complete as can be, but will need full reconditioning. I think I can handle most of it, but may pay a visit or two to my local bike whisperer as needed.
 
Capo_imp said:
I need this like a hole in the head, but I've taken in my winter project. Or winter/spring/summer/fall project if things don't go to plan. It is a 1979 Moto Morini 500 V twin, a bike with virtually no presence in the US, but fairly well known, and admired, in Europe.

Pretty amazing engineering for it's day, and known as a light, nimble handler. This one has been sitting for some time, but is all there, and I picked it up for a song. It sat in an airplane hangar next to a rotting, squatting, leaking, and for sale Citroen SM, so in comparison, my project will be a breeze!

Here's a little review, and some pix:

RetroTours.com - 1979 MOTO MORINI 500 STRADA
Sounds like a fun project! Good luck, and may it go well with the Morini!

FWIW, Citroen's were manufactured with air-bag suspension systems, which likely explains the squatting stance you mention. Never owned one myself, but supposedly these suspensions provided VERY smooth riding performance. The rotting and leaking bits, well, they may be attributable to old age... just like some of us are dealing with on the forum. :s
fritz
 
The Citroen is as cool as the Morini, which is dang cool. I think the 350 version was thought of a bit more - not sure why.

Dang good eyes on the Bonanza, I had to look three times to see it.:worship: Looked more like a Piper twin at first. :s
 
Wow, Capo! It looks to be in pretty good shape from the outside.

The body panels seem to have been inspired by the Kaw Z-1. Nice look!
 
That's a desirable bike in the eyes of collectors. If you ever decide to sell, you should do fairly well. A nice Moto-Morini is as worthy as a period Benelli, Laverda, Ducati or Guzzi, and probably less common (here in the US). I saw several 350's and 500's in Sicily this summer.
 
Thread starter
LongRanger_imp said:
That's a desirable bike in the eyes of collectors. If you ever decide to sell, you should do fairly well. A nice Moto-Morini is as worthy as a period Benelli, Laverda, Ducati or Guzzi, and probably less common (here in the US). I saw several 350's and 500's in Sicily this summer.
Yes, my MO for old bikes is to get 'free' ones. Meaning, the purchase price plus any resto and maintenance should at least even out when i sell it. So far, I've been on target. And I may be the only owner of two Morinis in the US. EDIT: A guy on the West Coast had about 30 of them, been selling off, but likely still has more than 2!

I also have a sweet little 1961 Tresette 175:
 
Capo_imp said:
Papa Weeley_imp said:
Sweet! And looks like excellent condition by the photo - nice score.
I couldn't help but notice the 900SS in the background, too. Miss mine...
Yes, the 900 is a great bike, easy access to Ducati ownership without much headache. The Morini is all there, complete as can be, but will need full reconditioning. I think I can handle most of it, but may pay a visit or two to my local bike whisperer as needed.
Yes, the 900 is a great bike, easy access to Ducati ownership without much headache. The Morini is all there, complete as can be, but will need full reconditioning. I think I can handle most of it, but may pay a visit or two to my local bike whisperer as needed.
Best of luck with it, and please keep us updated on your progress with lots of pics!
 
Back
Top