My Wifes Christmas Present from me

Hedge_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Please let us know more about the bike after you ride it some. Don't think I'll buy one, but I am interested. One never knows.

Its beautiful, congrats for your wife! I bet she loves it.
 
Thread starter
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Please let us know more about the bike after you ride it some. Don't think I'll buy one, but I am interested. One never knows.

Its beautiful, congrats for your wife! I bet she loves it.
Thanks Pop - she does! Huge victory over the holiday. I will break it in for her and get the valves and rings to seat properly and then do an oil change and let her have a go at it. I will give a full detailed Break-in ride report as soon as the weather breaks. Just started snowing again here and is suppose to continue right through Thursday!
 
I've read nothing but good things about this bike. My wife and I had matching CBR250Rs and we loved them. If the extra oomph of the 300 had been available we may have kept one of them, but once I saw the CB1100, I knew it was time to switch bikes. I am thinking of the 300 for my son, but he's getting to the age where I have to stop buying him sh*t. LOL I think your wife will love this bike like my wife loved the CBR. Good luck to you both!
 
Looks great. I like the bow too. Nice touch. My son is expressing an interest in learning how to ride and something like this might be perfect. It's nice that there are more options nowadays for smaller displacement bikes.
 
How would your rate your wife as a driver?
And physically athletic and coordinated?
I don't think I would want my wife riding a motorcycle, not sure she could be safe on it....
I had a girlfriend years ago when I rode my 900 ninja around, she liked it so much, bought a Ninja 500 but she was a good driver and physically adept at handling riding....so that was OK, although I missed her on back of mine.......I was 20 something .....
 
LOL, Hiker.....You're lucky that my wife doesn't read this forum or you would get her semi-famous "you wouldn't ask a guy that question!" rant. That said, it is always a little risky to buy a bike in anticipation of learning to ride it. My sister-in-law was all excited to ride, took the MSF course, passed it, and decided that she didn't like riding (if you know someone near Chicago who wants to buy an Aprillia scooter, let me know).

Semi-related: My wife and her brother were at the bike show (I was there, too, but not with them at the time) and they were checking out the BMWs. Tony asked a couple of questions about their touring bike and the guy asked Cheryl "So, do you ride on the back of his bike now?" Yikes! Definitely not a good opening line. "Do you ride, too?" would have been much more correct. Thanks to Cheryl, I think he knows that now. LOL

Anyhow, it is important that one is comfortable with the idea of one's spouse riding. I have friends who really worry about their spouses (both genders) and that's no good at all. I'm lucky in that my wife is a better rider than I am so my worry quotient is low.
 
Thread starter
EmptySea_imp said:
I've read nothing but good things about this bike. My wife and I had matching CBR250Rs and we loved them. If the extra oomph of the 300 had been available we may have kept one of them, but once I saw the CB1100, I knew it was time to switch bikes. I am thinking of the 300 for my son, but he's getting to the age where I have to stop buying him sh*t. LOL I think your wife will love this bike like my wife loved the CBR. Good luck to you both!
Thanks Sea - I think it will all go well.
HikerToo_imp said:
How would your rate your wife as a driver?
And physically athletic and coordinated?
I don't think I would want my wife riding a motorcycle, not sure she could be safe on it....
I had a girlfriend years ago when I rode my 900 ninja around, she liked it so much, bought a Ninja 500 but she was a good driver and physically adept at handling riding....so that was OK, although I missed her on back of mine.......I was 20 something .....
Wife is 10 years younger than me and has never had an accident to speak of. She has logged on several thousand miles on the back of my Bonneville so she is no stranger to acceleration and cornering. She is a very cautious driver so I am sure she will use good common sense on her first bike :)
EmptySea_imp said:
LOL, Hiker.....You're lucky that my wife doesn't read this forum or you would get her semi-famous "you wouldn't ask a guy that question!" rant. That said, it is always a little risky to buy a bike in anticipation of learning to ride it. My sister-in-law was all excited to ride, took the MSF course, passed it, and decided that she didn't like riding (if you know someone near Chicago who wants to buy an Aprillia scooter, let me know).

Semi-related: My wife and her brother were at the bike show (I was there, too, but not with them at the time) and they were checking out the BMWs. Tony asked a couple of questions about their touring bike and the guy asked Cheryl "So, do you ride on the back of his bike now?" Yikes! Definitely not a good opening line. "Do you ride, too?" would have been much more correct. Thanks to Cheryl, I think he knows that now. LOL

Anyhow, it is important that one is comfortable with the idea of one's spouse riding. I have friends who really worry about their spouses (both genders) and that's no good at all. I'm lucky in that my wife is a better rider than I am so my worry quotient is low.
If she doesn't like riding her own bike it is only $4000 spent, no big deal. I can easily sell it for $3500 +/-. I think my brother would snap it up. He's already asking me what I'm gonna do with the Bonnie! :D
 
An excellent choice Hedge. Don't imagine there's a better "starter" bike out there.

Best wishes for many happy miles on the Honda.
 
Thread starter
redbirds_imp said:
An excellent choice Hedge. Don't imagine there's a better "starter" bike out there.

Best wishes for many happy miles on the Honda.
Thx Red - prior to the release of this bike she thought she would start on a Beulle Blast. Glad we waited.
 
Very nice indeed. I sat on one and all I would change is the seat foam because I am 5'10 and it could use a bit more foam for me, but that's easily done. Brilliant little machine.
 
Very nice motorcycle. Should be perfect for a new rider. very rider friendly..and it's a Honda.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
LOL, Hiker.....You're lucky that my wife doesn't read this forum or you would get her semi-famous "you wouldn't ask a guy that question!" rant. That said, it is always a little risky to buy a bike in anticipation of learning to ride it. My sister-in-law was all excited to ride, took the MSF course, passed it, and decided that she didn't like riding (if you know someone near Chicago who wants to buy an Aprillia scooter, let me know).

Semi-related: My wife and her brother were at the bike show (I was there, too, but not with them at the time) and they were checking out the BMWs. Tony asked a couple of questions about their touring bike and the guy asked Cheryl "So, do you ride on the back of his bike now?" Yikes! Definitely not a good opening line. "Do you ride, too?" would have been much more correct. Thanks to Cheryl, I think he knows that now. LOL

Anyhow, it is important that one is comfortable with the idea of one's spouse riding. I have friends who really worry about their spouses (both genders) and that's no good at all. I'm lucky in that my wife is a better rider than I am so my worry quotient is low.
Yep, always risky asking that, but I feel the same way when I see a guy starting to ride a motorcycle for the first time at a late stage in life....guess I grew up riding motorcycles and still ride bicycles so have the 2 wheel spark in me.
 
As long as you're consistent across gender, it's a totally legit question. :) ..... Amy wife won't have to hurt you. LOL
 
I bought a used CL 175 Honda back in 1980 in hopes of getting my wife to give riding a chance. Never took though she loved riding my '92 Polaris trailboss around the farm and woods. She won't even ride on the back now (though with the CB it would far exceed the weight limit, my fault of course).
 
redbirds_imp said:
An excellent choice Hedge. Don't imagine there's a better "starter" bike out there.

Best wishes for many happy miles on the Honda.
Sure there is. Any small displacement dirt bike. I couldn't, in good conscience, recommend that anyone start out learning on the street. It is dangerous enough when you have years of experience and have already committed all the necessary skills to unconscious and immediate muscle memory.
 
I would agree as long as there is somewhere to ride a dirt bike. Not so much open areas to ride a dirt bike in many areas of the country anymore, unless you want someone to learn in their 1/4 acre yard.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
I would agree as long as there is somewhere to ride a dirt bike. Not so much open areas to ride a dirt bike in many areas of the country anymore, unless you want someone to learn in their 1/4 acre yard.
Well put Ferret - if we lived in Vermont or Main and had about 25 acres this would be an excellent idea. Learning to Rock climb, SCUBA dive, target shooting, etc are also very dangerous but with proper certified instruction millions have learned not to hurt themselves.
 
Back
Top