My Thoughts On The Honda CB1100

Dareius_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
I am 37 and always loved classic bikes.
In my opinion the CB1100 means the perfect balance between history, heritage and modern technology. There simply can't be a better bike than this Honda. It's expensive but I have read many articles where engineers and designers explained that this bike has a level of craftsmanship and attention to details that you can't find on other bikes.
The engine is perfect, smooth and gentle. It just have the power it needs, and if you don't own one and have the chance to test it, you will fall in love with it. It happened to me a couple of weeks ago. I am tempted to buy it instead of a new car. I don't know what I will choose in the next months, but I am sure that this bike is a constant desire and a persistent presence in my mind.
Love this four cylinder and its style. Amazing!

Inviato dal mio Nexus 5 utilizzando Tapatalk
 
Yep, pretty cool bike. We are kind of fond of it around here.
 
My wife has a newer car. I have a 1989 Chevy K1500. Lucky for me I live where I can Ride most of the year. So for me it was a no brainier to have a nice bike and an old car/truck. If we go any where long distance we just take the wife's car.
 
I bought an affordable car so I could get a new bike. Any time I'm in that cage I'd rather be riding the cb. Get a nice used ride and pop on the cb you won't regret it and pretty soon they will be unobtainium in the US
 
A car is an appliance. The CB is a work of art. How's that for an easy way to decide your priorities?

I was sold as soon as I saw the 4-into-1 exhaust. Next best thing to a CB400F (plus it's not 40 years old!).
 
CB360T_imp said:
A car is an appliance. The CB is a work of art. How's that for an easy way to decide your priorities?

I was sold as soon as I saw the 4-into-1 exhaust. Next best thing to a CB400F (plus it's not 40 years old!).
Strangely, when I learned that Honda was coming out with a retro model I knew I had to have one even though I already had a CB900F (919 in the US). It was those exhaust pipes that sold me too when I saw one in the flesh - so to speak.
Just yesterday I was out for a four hour ride and only stopped once for gas. It was such a beautiful October day that I didn't want to get off it to even take a picture.
As I followed the winding coastal roads I kept thinking how satisfying it was to ride such a smooth and civil machine.
Dareius mentioned that the CB is expensive, and I suppose it is, but up here they were a lot more expensive than in the USA for example.
But after the super ride like I had yesterday I could care less about what it cost.
 
CB360T_imp said:
A car is an appliance. The CB is a work of art. How's that for an easy way to decide your priorities?

I was sold as soon as I saw the 4-into-1 exhaust. Next best thing to a CB400F (plus it's not 40 years old!).
Boy you said a mouth full. I'm 68 and by now not a lot moves me the way it use to:cool: But great things still happen and when I purchased my 2013 with only 4400 miles on it for only $6500 with all the upgrades and ABS....that moved me:excited:

When I was a kid I saved for two years, I'm talking lunch money, grass cutting, christmas gifts, you name it, to purchase a Cushman Eagle with chain drive. When I finally got the money to buy it Christmas came early that June. I have the exact same feeling right now about the Honda CB1100. When people come on these forums they probably think we are crazy but to me, even though these bikes are not U.S. they represent a simple time in our history that was good. Life was simple then and every one knew what was expected of them, what is acceptable and what was not.

CB360T is exactly right, this bike is a work of art. Wish I knew how to send the honda designers a note, I would thank them:thanks:

ralph
 
I saw the 2013 CB1100 at the Chicago Motorcycle show and decided then I was going to own one. I got mine in Apr of 2013 and have enjoyed the bike since then.
 
1100rider_imp said:
I saw the 2013 CB1100 at the Chicago Motorcycle show and decided then I was going to own one. I got mine in Apr of 2013 and have enjoyed the bike since then.
You bet 1100rider, these bikes are great. I rode over to my brothers house yesterday and the first thing he said was, WOW, thats beautiful I haven't seen one of those in 30 years. He said "I may have to start riding again". I told him you better start soon if want one of these.

ralph
 
I am 64 and have had a bikes since age 16--- the CB has rekindled that old love that I had 40+ years ago --- this bike is a love affair!
 
Sprout_imp said:
I am 64 and have had a bikes since age 16--- the CB has rekindled that old love that I had 40+ years ago --- this bike is a love affair!
Know just what you mean, Sprout:thumbsup: I started a small business 38 years ago and had to sell everything I owned including my KZ900 to get enough capital. For the last 38 years all I've had time to do is work, not complaining you understand. I retired not long ago, Its funny, when you don't have the time you have the money, when you have the time you don't have the money:dodgy:

When I saw the CB1100 for the first time (Boy they kept a tight lid on that one) I just sat and stared at it. My wife saw the far away look in my eyes and her exact words were "where were you just now?) I said "did you know they are making the CB Honda again?" She said "let me see it"

This is no bull, I know I know:P She said "you got to get one of those" I called my local Honda dealer and he told me he was not going to order another one because it took him two years to sell the one he had. I thought I was sunk.

I was looking for one when I ran across this forum. One of the posts mentioned the CB1100 on Ebay and the rest is history. Great place here:thanks:

ralph
 
Dareius..all motors produce heat. You are basically sitting on top of an uncovered heat producing machine. I don't recall any members complaining about it to any extent. It has certainly not been an issue for me.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Dareius..all motors produce heat. You are basically sitting on top of an uncovered heat producing machine. I don't recall any members complaining about it to any extent. It has certainly not been an issue for me.
That's what I want to know. Ever heard about the BMW f800gt heating problem?

Inviato dal mio Nexus 5 utilizzando Tapatalk
 
Being an inline 4 with a low pipe the motor doesn't come close enough to the rider to create any heat issue. Most issues with heat involve air cooled v twins rear cylinder or a high pipe
 
No I haven't, but I know on some motorcycles it is more of an issue than for others. My Honda ST 1300 puts out an amazing amount of heat. Not a problem in for 3 seasons, but in the heat of the summer you had better be wearing cordura motorcycle riding pants or suffer the heat consequences. Some Harley models, and the Yamaha FJR also get a lot of complaints from owners.
 
I'm a younger rider (27 years) so there isn't really a nostalgia component for me. Still, the first thing that grabbed my eye about the CB1100 was the design. I've always disliked the crotch rocket styling of modern sport bikes, a style popular among idiotic 2fast 2furious squid riders, and never been a fan of cruisers which look and feel too heavy and slow.

The old CB750s to me were the absolute golden standard of how a motorcycle should look and feel. I owned one for about 20 minutes before the stator died while i was at a red light, and had to call the seller to come pick me up in his flatbed truck and trade me my money back for the title. I knew after that I had to just pony up the cash for a brand new bike and not have to worry about how well or poorly the last owner had maintained it.

After narrowing it down to either the CB1100 or the Triumph T100, I knew the Honda would be a better investment over the long run. The Triumph had the looks down, but definitely sacrificed a lot in terms of riding comfort to achieve it and was not the sensible choice for a daily commuter. I bit the bullet and paid out the butt for a 2014 CB1100 and have no regrets. Every time you start the engine and mount up you can feel the flawless engineering coursing through every inch of this beautiful machine. I'm sure we're all a bit biased here though :)
 
floopfloopington_imp said:
I'm a younger rider (27 years) so there isn't really a nostalgia component for me. Still, the first thing that grabbed my eye about the CB1100 was the design. I've always disliked the crotch rocket styling of modern sport bikes, a style popular among idiotic 2fast 2furious squid riders, and never been a fan of cruisers which look and feel too heavy and slow.

The old CB750s to me were the absolute golden standard of how a motorcycle should look and feel. I owned one for about 20 minutes before the stator died while i was at a red light, and had to call the seller to come pick me up in his flatbed truck and trade me my money back for the title. I knew after that I had to just pony up the cash for a brand new bike and not have to worry about how well or poorly the last owner had maintained it.

After narrowing it down to either the CB1100 or the Triumph T100, I knew the Honda would be a better investment over the long run. The Triumph had the looks down, but definitely sacrificed a lot in terms of riding comfort to achieve it and was not the sensible choice for a daily commuter. I bit the bullet and paid out the butt for a 2014 CB1100 and have no regrets. Every time you start the engine and mount up you can feel the flawless engineering coursing through every inch of this beautiful machine. I'm sure we're all a bit biased here though :)
You may just be wise beyond your years! Congrats on your decision to not low ball yourself on your purchase. The pay back (plus resale value) of just how much fun it is to ride this motor should prove your decision the correct decision.
 
Dareius_imp said:
Does this engine heat? Is it comfortable to ride?

Inviato dal mio Nexus 5 utilizzando Tapatalk
Yep it gets hot, on the 2013 its mostly from the right side. I actually like it in the winter:thumbsup: But the engine components are built to take it for thousands of miles.

The air cooled bikes make a lot of heat and only two ways to get rid of it, air flowing over the engine and oil through the oil cooler.

I guess I don't notice it so much because I ride Harleys. Actually when you think about it Honda has done an amazing thing: built an inline four with tolerances close enough to meet stupid EPA regs. and still get performance and fuel mileage out of it.

ralph
 
The engine gets hot and I believe the right side on my 2014 also more so than the left. I wear Aerostich overpants most of the time and even on very warm days I don't really notice the heat. I have never been uncomfortable from the heat last summer.
 
Back
Top