My other bike is totalled....what's next

Personally, I would choose the V-Strom, because you were perfectly happy with it. If you got the Tiger, would you be happy with it knowing it wasn't as good? Or would you have regrets that, yeah it was more convenient.

I think the other possibilities are are a somewhat different category - less relaxed and comforting.
 
Thread starter
The fj is certainly less relaxed, so is the BMW. The concourse is super relaxed though, just hard to find in a sweetspot of good price vs good mileage. All other things being equal I would take the vstrom, but convenience really is important. I csnt wait around forever.
 
Glad you weren't injured Mr P. I rekon you should see this as an opportunity to try a new bike. You could play it safe, go with what you know, but you will miss the chance to maybe find that 'goldilocks' bike.
Shopping for motorbikes is exciting! The CB will love a bit of commuting, I commute on mine every day, and it might save a rushed/hasty purchase that prevents you getting that new awesome bike in the garage.
Test ride a bunch of bikes, pick a favourite and if you have to get it delivered, you are lucky to have the CB to ride while you wait.
Maybe that GSX-s1000F is what you have been missing in your life!!!
 
Thread starter
I do like the idea of the GSX. However, part of the reason I have a second bike is to have capabilities that my CB does not. One of those is more passenger load carrying capability. the CB does fine, but it's not great at it. The Vstrom was absolutely awesome as a 2up bike. I get the feeling that GSX just won't have what i'm looking for there.

That aside, my CB has 40k miles on it. It's done a LOT of commuting. One of the other reasons i got a 2nd bike was to rescue it from all that commuting and focus on fun miles for my CB.
 
misterprofessionality_imp said:
I do like the idea of the GSX. However, part of the reason I have a second bike is to have capabilities that my CB does not. One of those is more passenger load carrying capability. the CB does fine, but it's not great at it. The Vstrom was absolutely awesome as a 2up bike. I get the feeling that GSX just won't have what i'm looking for there.

That aside, my CB has 40k miles on it. It's done a LOT of commuting. One of the other reasons i got a 2nd bike was to rescue it from all that commuting and focus on fun miles for my CB.
Well, there you go! Find a fresh low mileage CB1100, use your old one to commute while waiting for a V-Strom.
(Old retired guys like me have lots of time to speculate. :D)
 
misterprofessionality_imp said:
The Connie probably has that. It has everything else.
Pfft, no butler white glove parking service wherever you go? How brash and uncivilized. :cool:
 
Thread starter
pekingduck Wrote:Well, there you go! Find a fresh low mileage CB1100, use your old one to commute while waiting for a V-Strom.
(Old retired guys like me have lots of time to speculate. :D)
Well there's the problem. I cant buy two bikes. The insurance settlement wouldn't quite cover that lol. A new cb sadly doesn't cover my needs in this particular department. No ABS, no traction control. Moderate suspension suspension comfort...let's face it, the cb is awesome and fun but a more modern bike is just safer and better suited to commuter miles.
 
I used to ride my 21st century 2014 CB1100 into and out of Toronto, Ontario freeway traffic almost every day. Don't recall cussing at the beast.

But sure, there are lighter bikes more suitable for urban warfare that also get better fuel economy.
 
Thread starter
The real problem isn't weight...its a lack of ABS and rain performance. It's a lack of suspension quality. It's a lack of wind protection. And finally, it's the fact that I want to keep my cb1100 running and happy forever. I bought the second bike so that next stupid SUV that crashes into me crashes into some other bike, NOT my cb. The CB is for fun miles because, quite frankly, fun miles are safer miles. I dont mind my vstrom getting totalled. It's replaceable. My CB is not.
 
misterprofessionality_imp said:
The real problem isn't weight...its a lack of ABS and rain performance. It's a lack of suspension quality. It's a lack of wind protection. And finally, it's the fact that I want to keep my cb1100 running and happy forever. I bought the second bike so that next stupid SUV that crashes into me crashes into some other bike, NOT my cb. The CB is for fun miles because, quite frankly, fun miles are safer miles. I dont mind my vstrom getting totalled. It's replaceable. My CB is not.
Yeah, ABS is indeed an important option. In the context of a reserved fun miles bike, agreed that other models will suffice for the daily mule. I ultimately did the same.
 
Thread starter
I think we have a winner. Tomorrow morning I'm going to be looking at a 2012 concours with only 13k miles on it. Upgraded seat, upgraded bars, flood lights, super clean and well maintained.

If its everything it appears to be then I'm gonna be a Connie owner.

The only downside between this bike and my vstrom is gas mileage. It does have an Eco mode though...
 
I hope it's everything you want it to be.
 
Congrats Mr. P!! Please post some pics and give us a ride report.
 
What his lordship said.
 
Thread starter
So this is mine now.



I just rode it 285 Miles to get it home, and that was the easiest 285 miles i think i've ever run. There was a really adequate Vstrom 1000 a bit over 300 miles away, but this was a little bit closer and I think i got the better end of the deal, because this also had fewer miles on it and has some significant upgrades.

* Heli Bars
* aftermarket windscreen which is, quite frankly, better than being in a convertible car.
* addon flood lights
* Corbin Seat
* Aftermarket pegs
* brand new michelin PR5 tires.

I'm chuffed. The first thing I have to mention is that the thing is surprisingly nimble. That isn't to say i don't feel the size. My muscley, loud CB1100 now feels like a peppy little around-the-town bike though. it dives into corners very well and picks right back up again to flip into another turn. Even with those higher bars, the control it gives you is surprising. I think i want to get those lower and wider though.

The second big surprise was the gas mileage. I expected it to be inferior to my Vstrom in this respect, but it's really dead on par, if not honestly better. They have the same size gas tank, but the C14 carried me 179 Miles from the last gas fill up before showing a final range of 103 miles when i parked at home. This was traveling at an average speed of 85mph in Eco mode. That's nothing to sneeze at. I really thought the biggest drawback of this bike would be its fuel economy but it looks like my mildly hot-rodded CB1100 is still the red-headed stepchild in the gas economy department.

Suspension is almost gyroscopic. I haven't had a bike with suspension like this before. the Vstrom was very very good but this one felt like i was sliding down the road. hopping over things like train tracks for example just felt like the bike was doing everything on its own without disturbing me in any way.

when on country roads i had the opportunity to pass slowpokes with an almost savage authority. the acceleration was so sudden i had to actually let off the throttle while still engaged in the passing maneuver just to keep from accelerating into triple digits. didn't matter though. i sailed past them even as my revs were falling.
 
Congrats. I'd name it Lionel cause it's like a big black freight train lol
 
Back
Top