My new CB1100 Goal

Ulvetanna Wrote:Good point about the six-speed; you're right, I could surely get a '14 for a lot less, even new. With ABS. So then, Racetech the forks, maybe do Ikons again. Still has another 1/2 gallon of gas. I wonder.
The '14 Standard and your old '13 share the same 3.8-gallon tank. You have to go to the '14 Deluxe to get the 4.6-gallon tank, but then you're up to a wet weight of 570 lbs. The '17's tank is 4.4 gallons.
 
Thread starter
VLJ_imp said:
Ulvetanna Wrote:Good point about the six-speed; you're right, I could surely get a '14 for a lot less, even new. With ABS. So then, Racetech the forks, maybe do Ikons again. Still has another 1/2 gallon of gas. I wonder.
The '14 Standard and your old '13 share the same 3.8-gallon tank. You have to go to the '14 Deluxe to get the 4.6-gallon tank, but then you're up to a wet weight of 570 lbs. The '17's tank is 4.4 gallons.
The '14 Standard and your old '13 share the same 3.8-gallon tank. You have to go to the '14 Deluxe to get the 4.6-gallon tank, but then you're up to a wet weight of 570 lbs. The '17's tank is 4.4 gallons. I know, more's the pity. I was thinking about that this morning. So the only real option is the '17 EX.

The CA model, I believe, for 2013 has only 3.6 gallons to allow for the air space in the tank which allows the evaporative emissions equipment to function. Most California models have less tank capacity, that's just why I ran out of gas on my ZX-10R; the bike has a "fuel used" display and according to the specs, I should've had another half gallon left. But I ran out.

The air space is to allow for expansion in the tank and avoid flooding the evap emissions canister and connectors.

So it's the 2017 or nothing, because I'm not going back to the 2013. Also, I want a new bike...no way to know what anyone's done to a used machine. Based on some of the posts here I've read in the last few years, there are some very creative backyard mechanics.

Does anyone REALLY know what the weight of the 2017 EX is? Honda says 540, but elsewhere I read 562.
 
Correction: the '13 CB1100 and '14 Standard share the same 3.9-gallon tank, not 3.8 gallons, as I erroneously stated above. (I was thinking of the T120's 3.8-gallon tank.)

Ulvetanna, according to Motorcyclist Magazine's scale, the '17 EX weighs 556 lbs, fully fueled...

Retro Roadsters Revisited: BMW R nineT Pure vs Honda CB1100EX vs Triumph Bonneville T120 Black

As you can see from their dyno run, The '17 received a bit of a HP and torque bump, up to 88.3/66.8 at the wheel. Side-by-side comparison videos with the previous model clearly demonstrate that the '17 also has a deeper, growlier engine note, along with the improved suspension, smaller exhaust pipes, larger fuel tank, spoked rims, slipper clutch, and extra chrome pieces.

To me, the '17 is definitely the one to buy. Not only is it prettier, it's also slightly more powerful, better handling, and the finish is even nicer.
 
Thread starter
VLJ_imp said:
Correction: the '13 CB1100 and '14 Standard share the same 3.9-gallon tank, not 3.8 gallons, as I erroneously stated above. (I was thinking of the T120's 3.8-gallon tank.)

Ulvetanna, according to Motorcyclist Magazine's scale, the '17 EX weighs 556 lbs, fully fueled...

Retro Roadsters Revisited: BMW R nineT Pure vs Honda CB1100EX vs Triumph Bonneville T120 Black

As you can see from their dyno run, The '17 received a bit of a HP and torque bump, up to 88.3/66.8 at the wheel. Side-by-side comparison videos with the previous model clearly demonstrate that the '17 also has a deeper, growlier engine note, along with the improved suspension, smaller exhaust pipes, larger fuel tank, spoked rims, slipper clutch, and extra chrome pieces.

To me, the '17 is definitely the one to buy. Not only is it prettier, it's also slightly more powerful, better handling, and the finish is even nicer.
Agreed. Might cost more up front, but already has a myriad of new features. That's my plan. Also love the looks.

Also, being off by 0.1 gallons in a gas tank estimate is not quite as serious as miscalculating the distance of the Earth's orbit around the Sun by a factor of 100 percent. But then again I wasn't really planning on going into outer space just yet.
 
Looking over that dyno run, wow, the slightly lighter T120 absolutely stomps the CB1100 down low, precisely where mickey spends all of his time. At 3,400 RPM the Triumph is making a full ten-ft-lbs more torque than the CB, and quite a bit more HP, as well.

No wonder all the testers said the Triumph felt a lot more powerful than the Honda, despite being down nearly twenty hp on top.
 
Yea I've ridden my brothers T-120 quite a bit. There doesn't seem to be much difference between them the way we ride and when going down the road I will ask him what gear you in, how fast you going, how many rpms are you turning? and it's uncanny that we are always going the same speed, in the same gear, at the exact same rpms.
 
Ulvetanna, it's probably not important, but I thought the CB1100 2013-2017 is approved to be sold in all US states. There's no special Californian model. I could well be wrong, but my recollection is that the question's been asked and answered a number of times on here.
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
Ulvetanna, it's probably not important, but I thought the CB1100 2013-2017 is approved to be sold in all US states. There's no special Californian model. I could well be wrong, but my recollection is that the question's been asked and answered a number of times on here.
Pretty sure our evaporative emissions equipment is not present on 49-state models.

Anyone with a non-CA model can check and see if their bike has that stuff?

I can't even remember where the canisters are; maybe under the gas tank? I have no clue. There's also a sticker on the bike showing the routing

And the CA bikes always have a separate parts list and identification model.

For sure, my 2015 ZX-10R is different. The CA model has a different fuel tank and includes the evaporative controls. The 49-state model doesn't have the evaporative system and has a larger-capacity fuel tank.

Don't see those differences for the '17 CB1100, though.
 
From Honda's website and whatever it means: "Meets current EPA standards. California version meets current CARB standards and may differ slightly due to emissions equipment."
 
My ‘13 has evaporative emission equipment. All US bikes have it. You can see the canister easy with the left side cover off. Its mounted above the rear of the engine (transmission). About where the swingarm pivot is. Look up. Round can. Between the frame rails by a cross brace.

There is an evaporative purge valve too, but I’d have to look that location up.
 
I think it was LongRanger who confirmed that the '14 and '17 CBs are all 50-staters, so they should all have the same evap canisters, emissions plumbing, and fuel-tank capacities.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
My ‘13 has evaporative emission equipment. All US bikes have it. You can see the canister easy with the left side cover off. Its mounted above the rear of the engine (transmission). About where the swingarm pivot is. Look up. Round can. Between the frame rails by a cross brace.

There is an evaporative purge valve too, but I’d have to look that location up.
Can this be blocked off and removed?
 
Bheezy27403_imp said:
Lord Popgun_imp said:
My ‘13 has evaporative emission equipment. All US bikes have it. You can see the canister easy with the left side cover off. Its mounted above the rear of the engine (transmission). About where the swingarm pivot is. Look up. Round can. Between the frame rails by a cross brace.

There is an evaporative purge valve too, but I’d have to look that location up.
Can this be blocked off and removed?
Can this be blocked off and removed?
Man, at first I thought you meant my post :)

I would imagine so. Let me look at the manual and see if it would be a problem.
 
Ulvetanna_imp said:
I am very much delighted. See, even Honda say it's a sport bike and if it's in the VIN, it has to be TRUE.:rofl:
Well ... it's not exactly in the VIN proper. But, near enough, I guess. :thumbsup: Actually it is. There is a spot reserved for the type of bike. VIN position #6, "A: Scooter, B: Sportbike, C: Cruiser".
Ulvetanna, thanks for this response. I've an interest in VINs and, while not wanting to start a fight, I didn't believe this statement. So I went searching. Again. The NHTSA document you referenced earlier in this thread proved incredibly helpful. For that I'm most grateful. It's added to my understanding, at least of how VINs operate in the US.

The first 8 characters of a VIN are broken into 2 sections. The first 3 characters is a unique identifier of the manufacturer and the type of vehicle. The next 5 characters are assigned by the manufacturer and must, in the case of a motorcycle contain information about the "make, type of motorcycle, line, engine type, and net brake horsepower". In the US manufacturers are required to provide NHTSA with information enabling the VIN to be decoded "... at least 60 days prior to offering for sale the first vehicle identified by a VIN containing that information ..." The citation for these quotes is at the end of this post.

The first 8 characters of your 2013 would have been JH2SC651. Note that character #6 is a number. Decoded, that tells you it's a Honda CB1100 standard model, Motorcycle-Sport, 1140 ccs, 88.5 BHP. That information is provided by Honda, and, so far as I know, Honda does not divulge what it all means, other than to the extent that NHTSA must be provided with at least some of what it tells. All I've been able to find out hunting around the internet is that Honda uses "S" to denote a motorcycle of 900 ccs and up and "C" to tell you it's a street bike. See [url=http://www.vsource.org/VFR-RVF_files/BHondaModelNumbers.htm]this website for that information.

If you want to get the decoded information Honda has provided to NHTSA, [url=https://vpic.nhtsa.dot.gov/decoder/Decoder]go here and enter a valid VIN. A valid VIN for a 2013 non ABS bike would be JH2SC6515CK000001.

A valid VIN for the 2017 EX would be JH2SC6518GK000001. Or the RS JH2SC6581GK000001.

One last thing, US law requires:

Quote:The third through the eighth characters of the fourth section (positions 12 through 17) shall represent the number sequentially assigned by the manufacturer in the production process if the manufacturer is a high-volume manufacturer. Honda is a high volume manufacturer. You can be sure, I think that the last 4 digits of the CB1100's VIN represent it's position in the line.

If you want to peer at the horse's tonsils, try [url=https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/retrieveECFR?gp=&SID=ff0e9c358ee8950f0f72774c668c22a0&mc=true&n=pt49.6.565&r=PART&ty=HTML#sp49.6.565.b]this link.
[rant]
It really irritates me that it is nearly impossible to get to the horse's tonsils in Australia. By comparison, the US is a model of transparency. In my view, every citizen ought to be able to access the letter of the law. It doesn't mean he or she will understand it, but at least she or he can read it. In Australia we've developed a nasty habit in technical areas of referencing various standards. Now standards (ISO, AS, BS, and the myriad others) are mostly developed by commercial organisations and one has to pay for them if one wants to read them. So Australian law mandates that VINs conform to two international standards—ISO 3779:2009 and US Standard FMVSS 115. Now the US standard is easy to access—there's a link to it in the previous post—but if I want to read the other one (and I do) I have to pay these clowns nearly 60 bucks Australian for the pleasure. That sucks.

And it gets worse. When I get into ISO 3779, it's possible I'll find a reference to other standards which are relevant and I'll then have to pay 60 bucks for them too. Double sucks.

And it gets worse if you happen to be in a small business. If you work in, say, manufacturing, you'll have to comply with a raft of workplace safety regulation all of which will reference standards which, if you're serious, you'll have to obtain. You'll purchase them along with all the referenced ones which form part of the law, outlaying a small fortune, and then discover that the committee that developed the standard was made up of representatives from big business who often have a vested interest in making life hard for their competitors.

Thus is the law made inaccessible to ordinary citizens and the might of the wealthy increased by state-sponsored activity.

It's a breath of fresh air to find I can get all this information for free in the US. I should be able to do it in Australia too.

[/rant]

Normal transmission may now resume.
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
Ulvetanna_imp said:
I am very much delighted. See, even Honda say it's a sport bike and if it's in the VIN, it has to be TRUE.:rofl:
Well ... it's not exactly in the VIN proper. But, near enough, I guess. :thumbsup: Actually it is. There is a spot reserved for the type of bike. VIN position #6, "A: Scooter, B: Sportbike, C: Cruiser".
Ulvetanna, thanks for this response. I've an interest in VINs and, while not wanting to start a fight, I didn't believe this statement. So I went searching. Again. The NHTSA document you referenced earlier in this thread proved incredibly helpful. For that I'm most grateful. It's added to my understanding, at least of how VINs operate in the US.

The first 8 characters of a VIN are broken into 2 sections. The first 3 characters is a unique identifier of the manufacturer and the type of vehicle. The next 5 characters are assigned by the manufacturer and must, in the case of a motorcycle contain information about the "make, type of motorcycle, line, engine type, and net brake horsepower". In the US manufacturers are required to provide NHTSA with information enabling the VIN to be decoded "... at least 60 days prior to offering for sale the first vehicle identified by a VIN containing that information ..." The citation for these quotes is at the end of this post.

The first 8 characters of your 2013 would have been JH2SC651. Note that character #6 is a number. Decoded, that tells you it's a Honda CB1100 standard model, Motorcycle-Sport, 1140 ccs, 88.5 BHP. That information is provided by Honda, and, so far as I know, Honda does not divulge what it all means, other than to the extent that NHTSA must be provided with at least some of what it tells. All I've been able to find out hunting around the internet is that Honda uses "S" to denote a motorcycle of 900 ccs and up and "C" to tell you it's a street bike. See [url=http://www.vsource.org/VFR-RVF_files/BHondaModelNumbers.htm]this website for that information.

If you want to get the decoded information Honda has provided to NHTSA, [url=https://vpic.nhtsa.dot.gov/decoder/Decoder]go here and enter a valid VIN. A valid VIN for a 2013 non ABS bike would be JH2SC6515CK000001.

A valid VIN for the 2017 EX would be JH2SC6518GK000001. Or the RS JH2SC6581GK000001.

One last thing, US law requires:

Quote:The third through the eighth characters of the fourth section (positions 12 through 17) shall represent the number sequentially assigned by the manufacturer in the production process if the manufacturer is a high-volume manufacturer. Honda is a high volume manufacturer. You can be sure, I think that the last 4 digits of the CB1100's VIN represent it's position in the line.

If you want to peer at the horse's tonsils, try [url=https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/retrieveECFR?gp=&SID=ff0e9c358ee8950f0f72774c668c22a0&mc=true&n=pt49.6.565&r=PART&ty=HTML#sp49.6.565.b]this link.
[rant]
It really irritates me that it is nearly impossible to get to the horse's tonsils in Australia. By comparison, the US is a model of transparency. In my view, every citizen ought to be able to access the letter of the law. It doesn't mean he or she will understand it, but at least she or he can read it. In Australia we've developed a nasty habit in technical areas of referencing various standards. Now standards (ISO, AS, BS, and the myriad others) are mostly developed by commercial organisations and one has to pay for them if one wants to read them. So Australian law mandates that VINs conform to two international standards—ISO 3779:2009 and US Standard FMVSS 115. Now the US standard is easy to access—there's a link to it in the previous post—but if I want to read the other one (and I do) I have to pay these clowns nearly 60 bucks Australian for the pleasure. That sucks.

And it gets worse. When I get into ISO 3779, it's possible I'll find a reference to other standards which are relevant and I'll then have to pay 60 bucks for them too. Double sucks.

And it gets worse if you happen to be in a small business. If you work in, say, manufacturing, you'll have to comply with a raft of workplace safety regulation all of which will reference standards which, if you're serious, you'll have to obtain. You'll purchase them along with all the referenced ones which form part of the law, outlaying a small fortune, and then discover that the committee that developed the standard was made up of representatives from big business who often have a vested interest in making life hard for their competitors.

Thus is the law made inaccessible to ordinary citizens and the might of the wealthy increased by state-sponsored activity.

It's a breath of fresh air to find I can get all this information for free in the US. I should be able to do it in Australia too.

[/rant]

Normal transmission may now resume.
A lot of Australians living in my neighborhood. They're the most common non-North American immigrants encountered in my area. I've found 'em to be personable and thoughtful. Most of them ride motorcycles, too.

Your comments shed some light on the situation.
But all I care about is that the US Government officially says the CB1100 is a sportbike, lolol!:thumbsup:
 
FWIW, the last four digits of the vin on my new '17 EX are 0199, so she's the 199th 2017 CB1100EX imported to America.
 
Back
Top