My new CB1100 Goal

Ulvetanna_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
My goal, as I see it today, is to purchase either 2017 or 2018 EX or RS (if the RS comes my way) and at least keep it long enough to do the valve check at 8000 miles.

If I still like the bike then, I'll hang onto it. If not, I'll find another home for it.

But that's one bike I want to experience for at least the first 8000 miles, just to compare the two.

But I could always change my mind.:rofl:
 
I have not got 8000 on my 2013 yet. sigh...... But I'm close.

Bought a mounting place for my Givi top case for the Griso and fully intended to take it to Sunday coffee and she didn't start. Bad gas (new battery). 36 degrees and she would crank but not fire. This afternoon she fired right up but it was 56 degrees.

So I fired up the CB and she started like it was 80 degrees. Truth be told I could keep the three bikes until I had to give it up. But shiny new bikes are hard to pass up. :)
 
Sorry- I don't follow peoples stories much... why did you sell your first CB?

The new ones aren't much different at all- a little change in looks, a little better suspension, a little better sound from the exhaust- but from an 'I'm on the bike riding it perspective' they might as well be the same- meaning if you sold the first one because it was 'boring' or some other reason that you were looking at other bikes- the 'refresh' isn't going to change that...
 
Thread starter
PowerDubs_imp said:
Sorry- I don't follow peoples stories much... why did you sell your first CB?

The new ones aren't much different at all- a little change in looks, a little better suspension, a little better sound from the exhaust- but from an 'I'm on the bike riding it perspective' they might as well be the same- meaning if you sold the first one because it was 'boring' or some other reason that you were looking at other bikes- the 'refresh' isn't going to change that...
One of the main reasons was the suspension. The flaccid forks. I replaced the shocks with Ikons, which helped a great deal. Took me quite a while to get the forks adjusted properly so it would turn the way I wanted it to turn. The bike is very sensitive to front ride height and spring preload, surprisingly so.

Huge dive on brake application (sorry, that's just how I ride:D) which I KNEW could be made a lot better. But to start pouring $$$ into the forks seemed like a losing proposition.

Another thing that bugged me was range. 3.5 gallons was just not really enough for a bike with touring pretensions. That whole 'nother gallon gives me a whopping 40-45 more miles of range, so I can use the bike how I want to, which is for all-day rides with a decent amount of twisting road.

I've got a 200-mile loop I do most of the year (mountainous areas right now are not a good bet) and I like to have a bike that can be ridden a couple of hours with no possibility of running out of gas.

I actually ran out of fuel riding my ZX-10R whilst waiting at a stoplight. Had to push it across two crosswalks to fuel it back up, in pretty heavy traffic. No one even paid me the slightest attention, lol! When they say in CA that the fuel capacity is such-and-such, it's really less because of EVAP controls. Caught me out.

So 4.5 gallons is great. It'd give me the chance to stretch its legs.

I also appreciate the information provided on the LCD display regarding fuel used, remaining range, etcetera. I've found that to be very, very helpful on the other bikes I ride.

That brings me to the 6-speed transmission. That top gear will make a big difference since I have to run about 120 miles of slab for that 80 miles of great twists. The bike buzzed quite a bit more than I cared for sitting on it for hours.

There are all kinds of small refinements to the 2017 that, as as former 2013 owner, I can greatly appreciate. ECU tuning, a bit more power located where I like it (a little higher in the RPM band), assist-slipper clutch, and this time around, I'd for sure get the ABS-equipped version.

Take it all around, if I can find a red one for about what I paid for my 2013 new ($9,999, full pop), I'm all in.

The only thing they didn't change is the weight. I didn't care for the weight in terms of pushing the darn thing around in the garage. Never dropped it, thanks to great low speed handling and not riding whilst hung over (I don't drink no more so not really a problem now).

No, the 2017 CB1100EX is a very different animal. I am very sensitive to suspension, chassis, and power train changes and from all I can gather, Honda have done it up right.

Now, when I find that red one at a deep discount, I'll start working on getting it into my garage.

Reminds me, I've had a turnaround since seeing that red one in the showroom. Beautiful bike, I like it better than 2013. Seamless tank, lots of nice, nice bits. Don't care about spokes one way or another, but they DO look nice.

And now, one can get a whole range of excellent rubber for the thing. Metzeler Z8's for me.
PowerDubs_imp said:
Sorry- I don't follow peoples stories much... why did you sell your first CB?

The new ones aren't much different at all- a little change in looks, a little better suspension, a little better sound from the exhaust- but from an 'I'm on the bike riding it perspective' they might as well be the same- meaning if you sold the first one because it was 'boring' or some other reason that you were looking at other bikes- the 'refresh' isn't going to change that...
One thing I NEVER thought about the bike was that it was "boring":

In Defense of the CB1100

[url=http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=9696]The CB1100RS: Can it Really Outperform the Standard?

[url=http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=10017]Sayonara to the CB1100, with an Exit Review

So it was about the weight. I'm more than willing to take another run at ownership and if it doesn't work out, no problem. I'll sell it. Also planning on getting myself a GPS Messenger prior to setting out on these long, lonely loops this year. If I drop the bike, have a mechanical issue, or pitch myself into a canyon somewhere, I know at least a recovery effort will ensue.

And engine guards will be the first accessory.
 
A couple of things I wish were different about the '17: no limiters, and make the entire engine silver. Neither bother me enough to be a major problem.

Sure, I would like more power and less weight, but those aren't part of Honda's plan. I would also like their super-expensive heated grips to be included as standard, as they are on the T120. Lastly, while the new forks clearly seem to be an upgrade, and the shocks are supposedly better too, I still would have preferred Showa's top-of-the-line BPF setup.

Lastly, yeah, the price. $12,199 plus all the extra b.s. is just too much for this bike. Checking kbb.com, the '17 is already down to $7,230-$10,260. That's quite a bitter pill to swallow.

I am going to buy a '17 EX, but the price is going to have to be right.
 
Ulvetanna_imp said:
PowerDubs_imp said:
Sorry- I don't follow peoples stories much... why did you sell your first CB?

The new ones aren't much different at all- a little change in looks, a little better suspension, a little better sound from the exhaust- but from an 'I'm on the bike riding it perspective' they might as well be the same- meaning if you sold the first one because it was 'boring' or some other reason that you were looking at other bikes- the 'refresh' isn't going to change that...
One of the main reasons was the suspension. The flaccid forks. I replaced the shocks with Ikons, which helped a great deal. Took me quite a while to get the forks adjusted properly so it would turn the way I wanted it to turn. The bike is very sensitive to front ride height and spring preload, surprisingly so.

Huge dive on brake application (sorry, that's just how I ride:D) which I KNEW could be made a lot better. But to start pouring $$$ into the forks seemed like a losing proposition.

Another thing that bugged me was range. 3.5 gallons was just not really enough for a bike with touring pretensions. That whole 'nother gallon gives me a whopping 40-45 more miles of range, so I can use the bike how I want to, which is for all-day rides with a decent amount of twisting road.

I've got a 200-mile loop I do most of the year (mountainous areas right now are not a good bet) and I like to have a bike that can be ridden a couple of hours with no possibility of running out of gas.

I actually ran out of fuel riding my ZX-10R whilst waiting at a stoplight. Had to push it across two crosswalks to fuel it back up, in pretty heavy traffic. No one even paid me the slightest attention, lol! When they say in CA that the fuel capacity is such-and-such, it's really less because of EVAP controls. Caught me out.

So 4.5 gallons is great. It'd give me the chance to stretch its legs.

I also appreciate the information provided on the LCD display regarding fuel used, remaining range, etcetera. I've found that to be very, very helpful on the other bikes I ride.

That brings me to the 6-speed transmission. That top gear will make a big difference since I have to run about 120 miles of slab for that 80 miles of great twists. The bike buzzed quite a bit more than I cared for sitting on it for hours.

There are all kinds of small refinements to the 2017 that, as as former 2013 owner, I can greatly appreciate. ECU tuning, a bit more power located where I like it (a little higher in the RPM band), assist-slipper clutch, and this time around, I'd for sure get the ABS-equipped version.

Take it all around, if I can find a red one for about what I paid for my 2013 new ($9,999, full pop), I'm all in.

The only thing they didn't change is the weight. I didn't care for the weight in terms of pushing the darn thing around in the garage. Never dropped it, thanks to great low speed handling and not riding whilst hung over (I don't drink no more so not really a problem now).

No, the 2017 CB1100EX is a very different animal. I am very sensitive to suspension, chassis, and power train changes and from all I can gather, Honda have done it up right.

Now, when I find that red one at a deep discount, I'll start working on getting it into my garage.

Reminds me, I've had a turnaround since seeing that red one in the showroom. Beautiful bike, I like it better than 2013. Seamless tank, lots of nice, nice bits. Don't care about spokes one way or another, but they DO look nice.

And now, one can get a whole range of excellent rubber for the thing. Metzeler Z8's for me.
PowerDubs_imp said:
Sorry- I don't follow peoples stories much... why did you sell your first CB?

The new ones aren't much different at all- a little change in looks, a little better suspension, a little better sound from the exhaust- but from an 'I'm on the bike riding it perspective' they might as well be the same- meaning if you sold the first one because it was 'boring' or some other reason that you were looking at other bikes- the 'refresh' isn't going to change that...
One thing I NEVER thought about the bike was that it was "boring":

In Defense of the CB1100

[url=http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=9696]The CB1100RS: Can it Really Outperform the Standard?

[url=http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=10017]Sayonara to the CB1100, with an Exit Review

So it was about the weight. I'm more than willing to take another run at ownership and if it doesn't work out, no problem. I'll sell it. Also planning on getting myself a GPS Messenger prior to setting out on these long, lonely loops this year. If I drop the bike, have a mechanical issue, or pitch myself into a canyon somewhere, I know at least a recovery effort will ensue.

And engine guards will be the first accessory.

Egads — 120 miles of slab just to get to 80 miles of backroads? What's the shortest distance that you can travel (in total, there 'n back) to get to a similar length of backroad in your area?

I had a number of reasons for losing interest in motorcycles as a young adult. One of those being that riding bikes for extended periods of time on long stretches of freeways and/or highways has much less appeal to me than it does to some. I don't think that it's purely coincidence that I just so happened to be living in a place that typically required traveling on loooong stretches of highways to get anywhere interesting back when I lost my interest in motorcycles.
 
[/QUOTE] ... One of the main reasons was the suspension. The flaccid forks. I replaced the shocks with Ikons, which helped a great deal. Took me quite a while to get the forks adjusted properly so it would turn the way I wanted it to turn. The bike is very sensitive to front ride height and spring preload, surprisingly so.

Huge dive on brake application (sorry, that's just how I ride:D) which I KNEW could be made a lot better. But to start pouring $$$ into the forks seemed like a losing proposition.
...
[/QUOTE]

Agree that there is huge opportunity to improve the front end. If you go down that path on your future CB11 have a look at the Andreani cartridge kits. I've installed them and am delighted with the improvement. Cost was about 60% more than springs and emulators but for the extra investment you get externally adjustable rebound and compression.
 
Yeah ... that's a fair hike. I think one of the reasons I'm riding less since I moved back to the city is the extra distance I need to travel to get out of it. When I lived in the country, it was out of the drive and pretty much on to good country roads.
 
Thread starter
Guth_imp said:
Ulvetanna_imp said:
PowerDubs_imp said:
Sorry- I don't follow peoples stories much... why did you sell your first CB?

The new ones aren't much different at all- a little change in looks, a little better suspension, a little better sound from the exhaust- but from an 'I'm on the bike riding it perspective' they might as well be the same- meaning if you sold the first one because it was 'boring' or some other reason that you were looking at other bikes- the 'refresh' isn't going to change that...
One of the main reasons was the suspension. The flaccid forks. I replaced the shocks with Ikons, which helped a great deal. Took me quite a while to get the forks adjusted properly so it would turn the way I wanted it to turn. The bike is very sensitive to front ride height and spring preload, surprisingly so.

Huge dive on brake application (sorry, that's just how I ride:D) which I KNEW could be made a lot better. But to start pouring $$$ into the forks seemed like a losing proposition.

Another thing that bugged me was range. 3.5 gallons was just not really enough for a bike with touring pretensions. That whole 'nother gallon gives me a whopping 40-45 more miles of range, so I can use the bike how I want to, which is for all-day rides with a decent amount of twisting road.

I've got a 200-mile loop I do most of the year (mountainous areas right now are not a good bet) and I like to have a bike that can be ridden a couple of hours with no possibility of running out of gas.

I actually ran out of fuel riding my ZX-10R whilst waiting at a stoplight. Had to push it across two crosswalks to fuel it back up, in pretty heavy traffic. No one even paid me the slightest attention, lol! When they say in CA that the fuel capacity is such-and-such, it's really less because of EVAP controls. Caught me out.

So 4.5 gallons is great. It'd give me the chance to stretch its legs.

I also appreciate the information provided on the LCD display regarding fuel used, remaining range, etcetera. I've found that to be very, very helpful on the other bikes I ride.

That brings me to the 6-speed transmission. That top gear will make a big difference since I have to run about 120 miles of slab for that 80 miles of great twists. The bike buzzed quite a bit more than I cared for sitting on it for hours.

There are all kinds of small refinements to the 2017 that, as as former 2013 owner, I can greatly appreciate. ECU tuning, a bit more power located where I like it (a little higher in the RPM band), assist-slipper clutch, and this time around, I'd for sure get the ABS-equipped version.

Take it all around, if I can find a red one for about what I paid for my 2013 new ($9,999, full pop), I'm all in.

The only thing they didn't change is the weight. I didn't care for the weight in terms of pushing the darn thing around in the garage. Never dropped it, thanks to great low speed handling and not riding whilst hung over (I don't drink no more so not really a problem now).

No, the 2017 CB1100EX is a very different animal. I am very sensitive to suspension, chassis, and power train changes and from all I can gather, Honda have done it up right.

Now, when I find that red one at a deep discount, I'll start working on getting it into my garage.

Reminds me, I've had a turnaround since seeing that red one in the showroom. Beautiful bike, I like it better than 2013. Seamless tank, lots of nice, nice bits. Don't care about spokes one way or another, but they DO look nice.

And now, one can get a whole range of excellent rubber for the thing. Metzeler Z8's for me.
PowerDubs_imp said:
Sorry- I don't follow peoples stories much... why did you sell your first CB?

The new ones aren't much different at all- a little change in looks, a little better suspension, a little better sound from the exhaust- but from an 'I'm on the bike riding it perspective' they might as well be the same- meaning if you sold the first one because it was 'boring' or some other reason that you were looking at other bikes- the 'refresh' isn't going to change that...
One thing I NEVER thought about the bike was that it was "boring":

In Defense of the CB1100

[url=http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=9696]The CB1100RS: Can it Really Outperform the Standard?

[url=http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=10017]Sayonara to the CB1100, with an Exit Review

So it was about the weight. I'm more than willing to take another run at ownership and if it doesn't work out, no problem. I'll sell it. Also planning on getting myself a GPS Messenger prior to setting out on these long, lonely loops this year. If I drop the bike, have a mechanical issue, or pitch myself into a canyon somewhere, I know at least a recovery effort will ensue.

And engine guards will be the first accessory.

Egads — 120 miles of slab just to get to 80 miles of backroads? What's the shortest distance that you can travel (in total, there 'n back) to get to a similar length of backroad in your area?

I had a number of reasons for losing interest in motorcycles as a young adult. One of those being that riding bikes for extended periods of time on long stretches of freeways and/or highways has much less appeal to me than it does to some. I don't think that it's purely coincidence that I just so happened to be living in a place that typically required traveling on loooong stretches of highways to get anywhere interesting back when I lost my interest in motorcycles.

Egads — 120 miles of slab just to get to 80 miles of backroads? What's the shortest distance that you can travel (in total, there 'n back) to get to a similar length of backroad in your area? There is actually a superb road that begins less than one mile from the house, but the speed limit is 30 mph (like I really observe that!) and there is enough traffic to make it more of a scenic ride than a spirited jaunt. There are usually sections which open up and clear out for a mile or so, where I can get a few good corners in. That ride is about 18 miles long, double it including the ride back. That's just my short hop. But the good roads, the remote mountains and valleys that get me away from it all, it's 60 miles to where those start. But those 80 miles are worth the ride.

Any more than that is fatiguing.

That's why I picture the CB again in my future, it works well for that kind of sojourn. Eats up the slab, but handles the turns pretty well.

I took my 2013 on that ride several times, worked pretty well. I am very sure the 2017 will work a lot better and be much more comfy on the freeway, what with the sixth gear and much upgraded suspension.
 
Thread starter
... One of the main reasons was the suspension. The flaccid forks. I replaced the shocks with Ikons, which helped a great deal. Took me quite a while to get the forks adjusted properly so it would turn the way I wanted it to turn. The bike is very sensitive to front ride height and spring preload, surprisingly so.

Huge dive on brake application (sorry, that's just how I ride:D) which I KNEW could be made a lot better. But to start pouring $$$ into the forks seemed like a losing proposition.
...
[/QUOTE]

Agree that there is huge opportunity to improve the front end. If you go down that path on your future CB11 have a look at the Andreani cartridge kits. I've installed them and am delighted with the improvement. Cost was about 60% more than springs and emulators but for the extra investment you get externally adjustable rebound and compression.
[/QUOTE] It's my expectation that the Dual Bending Valve fork is going to be just fine right from the start.

If THAT fork needs work, I wouldn't buy the bike over again.

When I sat on it and pumped the forks (2017 model) they were very firm, almost sportbike firm. They felt very good.

Most of the bikes I have now are equipped with pretty darn good forks. I rode my 2017 SV650 today and was once again impressed that the forks were good enough to really not need any attention. The shock, however, is a different story. That is going to need replacing.

So I have some faith that the forks are a lot better. I believe PowerDubs had good things to say about the upgrade he did to the SDBV forks on his "Gen 1" CB1100.

Another thing I left out of the upgrades were the lights. I expect that LED headlight is a lot better than the halogen piece, which burned out on me during one of my loop rides. Had to run it on low beam until I replaced the bulb. Vibes got it.
 
Ulvetanna, I've posted this up a few times over the years, so chances are you've seen it. As I've said many times, I'm not fast. This video pretty much captures the maximum amount that I'm willing to push my CB. It would have been nice had this particular road been smoother, but even had it been so, I wouldn't have desired to go any faster than I already was. But I can understand how better suspension might improve the experience I had on this road the when I made this video. So that much maybe I can relate to. Most of the time I'm not dealing with roads quite this "lumpy" lol so I haven't really given the suspension all that much thought. I tend to sense more issue with the rear shocks than the front forks, but again not enough to have made any changes. Again, hopefully the new CB works out better for you if that's the route you decide to go down.


 
... One of the main reasons was the suspension. The flaccid forks. I replaced the shocks with Ikons, which helped a great deal. Took me quite a while to get the forks adjusted properly so it would turn the way I wanted it to turn. The bike is very sensitive to front ride height and spring preload, surprisingly so.

Huge dive on brake application (sorry, that's just how I ride:D) which I KNEW could be made a lot better. But to start pouring $$$ into the forks seemed like a losing proposition.
...
[/QUOTE]

Agree that there is huge opportunity to improve the front end. If you go down that path on your future CB11 have a look at the Andreani cartridge kits. I've installed them and am delighted with the improvement. Cost was about 60% more than springs and emulators but for the extra investment you get externally adjustable rebound and compression.
[/QUOTE]
I'll second that, the Andreani's are great and very adjustable.

Worth thinking about the 2014 onwards CB with the 6th gear. For what you can get one for now, you could add everything you need and better than the 2017 model, and for less $$ if that is of interest...
Junking the twin std Exhausts for a Titanium single would save you around 15-20 kgs. Lighter rear shocks and an Aluminium swing arm and you'd have got your self a 30kg (66 lbs?) lighter bike! .... centre stand, lithium bat.... ;-)

You wanted it lighter didn't you?
 
When I rode Eric's 2014 CB1100 Standard, I felt its biggest weakness besides the unnaturally heavy steering (which I'm convinced was nothing more than a tire issue) was the harshness of the suspension. My XSR isn't particularly plush over square-edged bumps, yet it was like a ride on a magic carpet compared to the way his CB ricocheted off of those same bumps.

Along with the forks, the shocks on the '17 are also supposed to be improved, but here's the thing. The suspension on the '17 is described as being plusher, which is exactly what I would want, after riding Eric's bike. Ulvetanna described the '17's suspension (the forks at least) as being firmer, following his little bounce test at the dealership. I'm not expecting it to be firmer. I'm expecting it to be softer, and possibly more boingy/floaty, which isn't necessarily conducive to going faster, even if it does do a better job of coping with bumps.
 
Thread starter
VLJ_imp said:
When I rode Eric's 2014 CB1100 Standard, I felt its biggest weakness besides the unnaturally heavy steering (which I'm convinced was nothing more than a tire issue) was the harshness of the suspension. My XSR isn't particularly plush over square-edged bumps, yet it was like a ride on a magic carpet compared to the way his CB ricocheted off of those same bumps.

Along with the forks, the shocks on the '17 are also supposed to be improved, but here's the thing. The suspension on the '17 is described as being plusher, which is exactly what I would want, after riding Eric's bike. Ulvetanna described the '17's suspension (the forks at least) as being firmer, following his little bounce test at the dealership. I'm not expecting it to be firmer. I'm expecting it to be softer, and possibly more boingy/floaty, which isn't necessarily conducive to going faster, even if it does do a better job of coping with bumps.
Yep, the Gen 1 bike is loosy-goosy, poorly sprung, underdamped, unless you ride very smoothly and sedately. Which neither of us do.

Heavy steering, that's got to be tire pressure and/or worn tires.

VLJ_imp said:
When I rode Eric's 2014 CB1100 Standard, I felt its biggest weakness besides the unnaturally heavy steering (which I'm convinced was nothing more than a tire issue) was the harshness of the suspension. My XSR isn't particularly plush over square-edged bumps, yet it was like a ride on a magic carpet compared to the way his CB ricocheted off of those same bumps.

Along with the forks, the shocks on the '17 are also supposed to be improved, but here's the thing. The suspension on the '17 is described as being plusher, which is exactly what I would want, after riding Eric's bike. Ulvetanna described the '17's suspension (the forks at least) as being firmer, following his little bounce test at the dealership. I'm not expecting it to be firmer. I'm expecting it to be softer, and possibly more boingy/floaty, which isn't necessarily conducive to going faster, even if it does do a better job of coping with bumps.
Firmer/stiffer on the showroom floor means more compliant, better-controlled.

It's counter-intuitive, one would think plush means softer, but the Gen 1 is soft and not plush, nor compliant. A heavy bike like the CB1100 needs much firmer damping rates in both directions and a much better-designed spring with a progressive wind. My sense is that the '17 has those features.

My '15 ZX-10R, with Showa Big Piston Fork, is almost impossible to get any front end movement out of whatsoever when it's parked. Very stiff. But once it's moving, even on rough pavement, it's the most compliant bike I own. Holds grip and tracks the pavement while cranked over, good control under braking/on the gas.

If the damping/spring rates/design are right, it may feel stiffer motionless but will work much better whilst moving.

After having done the "bounce" test on a lot of bikes, and having set up many high-performance machines, my sense of the '17 is that Honda got it right.

I understand the shocks have also been redesigned.

I am really stoked to try a 2017.

Also will be looking for an EX, even if the RS shows up here. As I speculated in my little diatribe from last year, the 17" wheels change the ride quality, slow the steering at low speeds, and generally will remove the whole "traditional" quality of the bike. I got 17" wheels on lots of other bikes. I'd want the 18-inchers for sure.

The more I think about this 2017 the more I want one.
Guth_imp said:
Ulvetanna, I've posted this up a few times over the years, so chances are you've seen it. As I've said many times, I'm not fast. This video pretty much captures the maximum amount that I'm willing to push my CB. It would have been nice had this particular road been smoother, but even had it been so, I wouldn't have desired to go any faster than I already was. But I can understand how better suspension might improve the experience I had on this road the when I made this video. So that much maybe I can relate to. Most of the time I'm not dealing with roads quite this "lumpy" lol so I haven't really given the suspension all that much thought. I tend to sense more issue with the rear shocks than the front forks, but again not enough to have made any changes. Again, hopefully the new CB works out better for you if that's the route you decide to go down.


You ride that thing like a dirt bike, really good lines. Seriously. That's a good video to show how the bike really likes to be ridden, nice lean angles, not a whole bunch of on/off throttle, probably getting your boots pretty close to the pavement but leaving some leeway.

That's just how to ride a CB1100, nice and smooth.

That road seems pretty decent overall but you could see a few bumpy spots. Shocks alone will help a lot, but again, sometimes it's just not enough to worry about.

Just reminds me of what a nice smooth flow the bike can provide.
beardyweirdy@me.com_imp said:
... One of the main reasons was the suspension. The flaccid forks. I replaced the shocks with Ikons, which helped a great deal. Took me quite a while to get the forks adjusted properly so it would turn the way I wanted it to turn. The bike is very sensitive to front ride height and spring preload, surprisingly so.

Huge dive on brake application (sorry, that's just how I ride:D) which I KNEW could be made a lot better. But to start pouring $$$ into the forks seemed like a losing proposition.
...

Agree that there is huge opportunity to improve the front end. If you go down that path on your future CB11 have a look at the Andreani cartridge kits. I've installed them and am delighted with the improvement. Cost was about 60% more than springs and emulators but for the extra investment you get externally adjustable rebound and compression.
[/QUOTE]
I'll second that, the Andreani's are great and very adjustable.

Worth thinking about the 2014 onwards CB with the 6th gear. For what you can get one for now, you could add everything you need and better than the 2017 model, and for less $$ if that is of interest...
Junking the twin std Exhausts for a Titanium single would save you around 15-20 kgs. Lighter rear shocks and an Aluminium swing arm and you'd have got your self a 30kg (66 lbs?) lighter bike! .... centre stand, lithium bat.... ;-)

You wanted it lighter didn't you?
[/QUOTE] Good point about the six-speed; you're right, I could surely get a '14 for a lot less, even new. With ABS. So then, Racetech the forks, maybe do Ikons again. Still has another 1/2 gallon of gas. I wonder.
 
That's incredibly kind feedback Ulvetanna. While I've never aspired to be a fast rider, I've always wanted to become a smoother rider. Whenever the ferret talks about his rides, the image that sticks in my mind is one of smooth riding, linking turn after turn in a very efficient way. I picture quite a few guys on this forum with lots of miles under their tires much in the same way. It seems to me that this is how many people become at any variety of things they might do in life. If you spend enough time doing something, you end up making things look much more "routine" to someone who might be new at that particular endeavor. That's partially because it has become routine of course, but I still admire the skill set on display that the person now takes for granted. Since I'm never going to be a high-mileage, iron butt kinda guy I figure that if I want to look like those guys I'm going to have to work at it.

That's not to imply that guys like you and VLJ aren't smooth, it's just not the image that you guys paint of yourselves. I always marvel at guys who ride that still manage to look unhurried, even when they're traveling at a fairly fast clip. (I'd just like to look unhurried when I am unhurried.) But rather than riding smooth at higher speeds, my goal is to ride smoother amongst the more typical everyday kind of obstacles one might face like rough pavement, potholes, gravel, etc.. I'm constantly trying to be aware of as much that faces me down the road as possible and then envisioning the line I want to follow through what lies ahead as well as possible. It's that seemingly endless flow of information processing that gets my mind off of everything else in life. It provides me with a nice "mental reset" and it keeps me entertained. (I never said that it takes much to keep me happy when it comes to motorcycling.) That's probably why the few times that I've ridden with other people, I'm always more than content to just follow everyone else. Stick me at the back of the pack and I'll manage to keep myself entertained just fine, lol.
 
Luckily from what I've been reading the valve clearances rarely ever go out of tolerance in just 8000 miles. I do wish Honda had used the hydraulic lash adjusters they had in the Nighthawk 750 several years back in the 1100 motor.
 
The roads in the area of the country I live in tend to lend themselves better to a smooth riding style. The curves or turns are not hard enough or technical enough if you will to come out of one slow turn, shoot down the straight, slam on the brakes, pitch it over, and go thru another tight turn. Going fast here means maintaining speed rather than scrubbing it off, and whacking it back on. Easy application of the throttle, rolling it partially off and back on rather than snapping it on and off, very little rowing of the transmission, maybe 1 gear down and one back up, but I can ride for miles without needing to shift at all by picking my lines correctly, going in deep enough to decide whether I need brakes or need more or less lean, looking far enough through the turn to know what is coming up next and if I need to prepare for that during this turn. Most guys don't stay out far enough, go deep enough, or look far enough ahead when riding and end up getting caught out on the second or third curve.

I'm not as fast on highly technical roads, roads with blind rises and switchbacks and honestly don't enjoy them very much. Too much work.I don't want to be on and off throttle, on and off brakes, rowing the gearbox up and down. I prefer roads with rhythm or flow to them. I prefer Cherahola to the Dragon for example. I prefer the last 30 miles of the BRP before you get to Cherokee. Luckily that's what we have for the most part, and what I have found typical in the mid west, south east, and north east. It's what the roads were like near Denver as well when I went out to ride with Longranger. Also what I found in the south west. Just like the road in Guth's video
 
During my 20s it was always a contest between my buddies and I as to who could ride the fastest. Not very bright considering the amount of beer we drank.

In my 30s I rode touring bikes with other mature riders, and had a speed limiter sitting behind me. For her to enjoy the ride, smooth riding with no sudden surprizes was imperative. Happy wife, happy life!

Now Penny prefers luxury cars to motorcycles, so I am a lone wolf. I ride a variety of lonesome back roads mid-week, so my speed is only limited by what is comfortable for me. Some roads have sweeping curves, some are tight as a knot.

Like The ferret I prefer the smooth riding style. I ride strictly for pleasure and have nothing to prove or no one to impress. Sometimes I like to enthusiastically sweep through the corners, sometimes I just like to glide and enjoy the scenery.

While I did like riding in a group I was younger, now I prefer to ride where I want and how I want with no restrictions. To me that is the FREEDOM that all the motorcycle ads promise.
 
Back
Top