My lowly little 2016 CB500F

CB4ME_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
I sure miss my CB1100, but the light and nimble CB500F has helped to ease the pain. In my opinion the engine is far superior to my old NC700X – very smooth and plenty of power. The transmission is top notch and the handling is great. It’s just plain fun.

Unlike the CB1100, the bike doesn’t get a second look from other folks. And decent accessories, especially from Japan are hard to come by. I have a few farkles but they come from England, France, Germany, Italy, Thailand and the US:

Giannelli X-Pro Black Silencer
MRA windscreen
GIPro gear indicator
Honda center stand
Honda seat cowl
Titanium adjustable levers
Strada 7 grip covers
R&G Aero Frame Sliders
Moto Werk 1" risers
Moto Werk mirror extenders
Cortech Super 2.0 Tank Bag
Cortech Super 2.0 Tail Bag
License plate bracket removed
Side reflectors removed

177f3cad2f866b3aa464969bdaa60f59.jpg


If anyone is looking for an inexpensive all around small bike, the 414 lb. CB500F is worth a look.
 
Your bike looks good, CB4ME. I reckon Honda's 500 cc bikes are excellent.
 
I have a CBx that I thoroughly enjoy, bought a suspension upgrade recently and am looking forwards to installing that.

Excellent bikes.
 
Awesome CB4ME. Glad you're back up on 2 again. I was interested in your comments about the NC700X. I have liked the concept of the bike but it hasn't gotten rave reviews. That 500cc plant is getting lots of use throughout Honda's line so it must be rock solid.
 
Looking good CB4ME. Never heard a bad word about the 500 series. THat's saying something. Going to have to test ride one of them so eday
 
CB4ME_imp said:
I sure miss my CB1100, but the light and nimble CB500F has helped to ease the pain. In my opinion the engine is far superior to my old NC700X – very smooth and plenty of power. The transmission is top notch and the handling is great. It’s just plain fun.

Unlike the CB1100, the bike doesn’t get a second look from other folks. And decent accessories, especially from Japan are hard to come by. I have a few farkles but they come from England, France, Germany, Italy, Thailand and the US:

Giannelli X-Pro Black Silencer
MRA windscreen
GIPro gear indicator
Honda center stand
Honda seat cowl
Titanium adjustable levers
Strada 7 grip covers
R&G Aero Frame Sliders
Moto Werk 1" risers
Moto Werk mirror extenders
Cortech Super 2.0 Tank Bag
Cortech Super 2.0 Tail Bag
License plate bracket removed
Side reflectors removed

177f3cad2f866b3aa464969bdaa60f59.jpg


If anyone is looking for an inexpensive all around small bike, the 414 lb. CB500F is worth a look.
'nuff said! :thumbsup:
 
If the European cb650 was sold here it would have been a strong consideration. 85 hp with 458 lbs, a little more plain fun. I'd have to ride both to be sure, I'm going to talk with my wife about going to Europe for a demo day, brb......she said no.
 
I have put over 33,000 happy kilometers (20,500 miles) on my CB500XA over the last 3 summers. My riding season is only 6 months long, and the bike is only used to ride the back roads in cottage country.

After returning to motorcycling after 25 year hiatus, I was concerned about buying a motorcycle this small. But this is great bike. Quick, light , nimble, and Honda reliable. If it looked more like the CB1100, I would probably keep it. I am not fond of the looks of modern motorcycles. So I will trade it in when my 2017 CB1100 EX becomes available.
 
Aloha!

Chatted with CB4ME about the 500 since I've been bikeless for awhile and seeking out The Right Bike as I get closer to retirement and have to stop doing foolish (but fun) things like buying bikes all the time.

CB500F still on the top of the list, along with FZ-07, as well as the smaller YZF-R3 (spiritual descendant of the ole RD350 say other geezers).

I keep coming back to the CB as I just like the Honda reliability and refinement I guess, doesn't hurt that it's a value buy, huh?




Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
You sold CB1100 number two, Huladog?
 
Ah, yes like an idiot I did sell the #2 the 2014 Standard. At the time my knee was hurting bad and I was scheduled for arthroscopic surgery but thought I might be hanging up the helmet for good.

Knee is much better this year so I've been shopping ALL kinds of bikes telling myself I needed a lighter bike, but I have not pulled the trigger as I just cannot find The Right Bike.

I just checked online and American Honda has a $1,000 bonus bucks program for the leftover 2014's so that brings it down to $9,399 plus fees which isn't bad compared to a Triumph Street Twin which is $9,000.

I could probably find a lower price if I flew over to California but I'm getting lazy. Will keep comparing bikes, maybe I'll bite the bullet and just order another 2014 from their warehouse again, like I did the last time?!?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
I've always thought that capable "small" bikes sound like fun. It's also interesting to compare things like the CB500X and a Ducati Multistrada. You'll pay 3X as much for the Duc. Do you get 3X the bike? Both have comfy ergos, somewhat lengthy suspension travel and goofy looking beaks. If you forget about image, outlandish power and electronically adjustable everything and just get a bike that's economical, reliable, powerful enough and fun - are you happy?

Then there's the historical perspective. In 1965, a 500cc bike with the power of the CB500X would not look so small after all. Shoot, get the optional hard luggage and you've got a perfectly serviceable touring mount. (And it might look big enough for a 6' rider like me to not seem ridiculous riding it.)

Of course, I paid up plenty for the CB1100 DLX. But there were aesthetic issues involved. Today, if I wanted to step down from the VFR I had and the CB1100 wasn't available, the CB 500 would get a serious look.
 
Huladog_imp said:
Aloha!

Chatted with CB4ME about the 500 since I've been bikeless for awhile and seeking out The Right Bike as I get closer to retirement and have to stop doing foolish (but fun) things like buying bikes all the time.

CB500F still on the top of the list, along with FZ-07, as well as the smaller YZF-R3 (spiritual descendant of the ole RD350 say other geezers).

I keep coming back to the CB as I just like the Honda reliability and refinement I guess, doesn't hurt that it's a value buy, huh?




Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
FZ-07 hands down! Love that bike's riding character.
 
I sat on all three of the CB500 models. The CBR500 was a gorgeous tri-colour machine, but its sport bike riding position was not suitable for my old bode. The CB500F was better, but the CB500X was the most comfortable for me because of it taller suspension and straight up riding position.

It is an adventure styled motorcycle that comes with a wind screen. Unfortunately adventure bikes create a lot of wind noise. I bought a taller wind screen and wear ear plugs, so I could ride comfortably.

The riders on the CB500F Forum don't seem to have a problem with wind noise. I guess it is much like riding a CB1100 without a wind screen. Hopefully I will find out soon.

If the FZ-07 is half as much fun as its FZ-09 older brother, it would be worth a test ride. I rode the FZ-09 for a day and it was a hoot. But I could only use half its power and rev range. As they say, "It's more fun to ride a small bike fast, than a big bike slow."
 
Thread starter
Wind noise is higher on the CB500F than my old CB1100 with Comet fairing. Ear plugs are a must.

I installed 1" risers and ordered a set of MFW Vario foot pegs to dial in a solid upright riding position.
 
Back
Top