My how times have changed/I'll say it again

My motorcycle safety instructor went on a long rant on FB regarding the use of helmets; long story short - if you KNEW you were going to be in an accident on your next ride (say it's a magic light on the dash), would you take the time to go put on your helmet, boots, gloves and such?

We don't have a magic light to tell us when we are going to have an accident so it's crap shoot when ever you are on the bike.
 
My bud got pole axed by a giant hooved rat (aka a deer) around sunset yesterday. Totaled his BMW K1600GT. Bruised him up good, but wearing ATG, he's going to mend up fine. Check his helmet in this photo, and imagine what would have happened without it.
 
I've witnessed similar, on too many occasions. We could have an entire forum just on helmet usage and accident aftermaths! I'm glad your friend survived it and walked away.
 
The ferret_imp said:
yea this really wasn't a thread about what you should wear or shouldn't wear, just a commentary on how things have changed about what Harley riders used to wear for decades compared to what I see them wearing now.
And on that note, I'm guessing that in some distant corner of cyberspace there is a Harley forum where a new thread was recently started. And on that thread there are guys talking about stuff they've noticed recently while out riding...

"Just the other day I saw some guy on a Honda. He was snapping a bunch of pictures of me and my buddy. I think he must have been some sort of motorcycling paparazzi kind of character."

"Yeah, you never really used to see those guys on Hondas taking pictures out on the road like you do now."

"No kidding, times have really changed."

:D
 
The ferret_imp said:
yea this really wasn't a thread about what you should wear or shouldn't wear, just a commentary on how things have changed about what Harley riders used to wear for decades compared to what I see them wearing now.
While that may not have been your intent, ferret, your picture did strike a cord with me so I had to hijack your thread to discuss the helmet issue. Sorry.

Back to your point, ferret; not only are their cloths different, the riders are too. Back in the day of the Engineer Boot and Levi, Harley riders were truly bad azz dudes. Today, Harley riders are doctors, lawyers, accountants and even the occasional soccer mom.
 
Saw almost the same scene as in Ferret's pic about two weeks ago in Ogden on a Sat AM. Was doing an errand around 9 AM, still pretty brisk at that time of day. Prob around 40ish and two guys on Harleys come out of a side street and head down the road in front of me. I'm wearing boots/thick pants, gloves, insulated riding jacket with a balaclava and helmet. With all my gear on the cool air STILL had an biting edge. They had no helmets, both had black hoodies, shorts and boots. Thought to myself "Why"?. Then about a minute later another guy in shorts, boots and "T-Shirt" sans helmet came down the street in my direction on a metric cruiser. I'm guessing but all three of these guys looked like they were upper 20's early 30's.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
The riding two-abreast nonsense makes me cringe too, but I guess there are no curves anywhere in sight, so maybe it's okay. Stupid is as stupid does.

I occasionally see elderly BMW and Gold Wing riders around here without helmets. That too makes me cringe. It just doesn't fit the image of what I expect.
Maybe they are big fans of CHiPs !!! :D

 
They make 'em tougher than we thought these days apparently.

The shorts and singlet rider is a common site in my part of Australia. When I see them, I'm reminded of the expression, 'the world is your belt sander'.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
It's common knowledge that as long as you have loud pipes, you don't need that other stuff.
I've heard that soooooo many times from HD riders that when my eyes roll back, they get stuck. :dodgy:
 
It's been compulsory to wear a helmet in the UK since 1973 so I am surprised to read there is no legal requirement to wear one in some US states. There is 100% compliance with the law and you will stick out like a sore thumb if you are not wearing one . Non-wearers have usually nicked the bike !

There is a group called the Motorcycle Action Group or MAG for short who have protested against the helmet law since it came out but frankly I don't think there is any real prospect of a change in the law .

cheers
 
the lodger_imp said:
It's been compulsory to wear a helmet in the UK since 1973 so I am surprised to read there is no legal requirement to wear one in some US states. There is 100% compliance with the law and you will stick out like a sore thumb if you are not wearing one . Non-wearers have usually nicked the bike !

There is a group called the Motorcycle Action Group or MAG for short who have protested against the helmet law since it came out but frankly I don't think there is any real prospect of a change in the law .

cheers
No helmet exemptions in the U.K.? Perception is sometimes the U.K. is way ahead in liberal laws than other first world nations. However, I view every rider should wear a helmet.

Ontario has been loosening up for some decades now. Back in 1996 it was no longer illegal for women to walk around topless. In 2018, marijuana is no longer treated as an offence.
 
There is an exemption in the helmet law in the UK for Sikhs who wear turbans.

I have never ever seen an example in real life.

Incidentally there was a possibility of bicycle riders being required to wear helmets but I think that has been shelved ( for now ? ).
 
Long time ago, in a gallaxy...

My first job had me driving, twice a week on average, to a customer installation some 180 km from the office. The road was known as "the way to hell, both ways". I was driving a tiny fiat600 car (third owner), with the engine at the back and a miniature luggage compartment up front. (The disigner's idea was that your luggage will be a "natural crumple zone" and will protect you in case of a frontal collision. Since all I had in there was a couple of diagnostic manuals and a test-tool kit, I did not feel protected at all).

I installed a seat-belt and rode with my motorcycle helmet on. On both counts, I was considered certifiable. Specifically, to prefer to be strapped into the vehice instead of "being thrown clear" from the wreck is something I never heard the end of. ("If what you did made any sense, wouldn't the car manufacturer put those in?")

In the 30-odd customer support personnel office, in my three years on that job, we had one of my colleauges killed on the road, tho injured and a whole lot of minor traffic accidents.

I've never driven a car with a helmet on since, or the motorcycle without one, regardless of the legal consequences of my actions. However, I refuse to pack a cell phone on solo hikes in the mountains. My sentiment that this would completely destroy whatever emotional benefit I derive from hiking up into those mountains makes me, in the eyes of my mountaineering friends, certifiable.

You just can't keep all the people happy all the time...
 
Back
Top