my DLX thinks its a STD

DJS_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
my deluxe is getting low on gas.
it flashes and says the amount of miles and gas left until empty.
it says i have .9 gallons left.
from last fill up my trip meter indicates i used 3 gallons.
that would be 3.9 gallons of gas in a tank. that is the capacity of the standard not the deluxe.

it did this on my last tank as well.
once i got passed the 3.9 it thought i had the miles and gallons left were indicated as a blank "-" on the instrument panel.

anyone else have this issue?
any way to reset this?
 
I don't even own a CB1100 but here's how I'd approach this.
[ul] [li]Fill the gas tank[/li] [li]Reset the trip odometer[/li] [li]Ride until light comes on[/li] [li]Go to nearest gas station and fill up[/li] [li]Note trip odometer and gallons added and compute miles per gallon[/li] [li]Subtract gallons added from tank capacity to determine gallons remaining[/li] [li]Multiply gallons remaining by miles per gallon to determine range after light comes on[/li] [li]Fill tank before range is exhausted; conservatively, seek fuel when half of reserve range is expended
[/li][/ul]
 
3ad4d1f641c7211da38037ee2af60646.jpg



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
I filled up my tank today.. had it on it's centerstand and was thinking about this thread. So I filled it up the normal amount (to the middle of the throat pipe) and then paused... and watch the level go down as the air basically slowly escaped out some hole and let the gas spread out into the tank. I kept doing that probably about 8 to 10 times.. it led to .4 gallons more in the tank than I would have normally put in. I'm thinking that perhaps the source of my fueling issues (not the range I expect) was from not filling the tank all the way. BTW.. only getting 45 mpg but that was mostly highway miles doing between 75 and 80.
 
Same issues. I don't even trust the digital meter lol. I Just gas up when 0ver 100 mi. I was able to go 139 mi at one time. But whenever I'm at 120 mi or so and I stop. It sputters and dies especially when I stop somewhat abruptly.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
One of my pet peeves with this bike. It takes 20 tries to top off the tank. Every time you think it's full it creeps back down into the abyss.
 
good thread and i did not know it would creep down , never noticed it on my tank which is a 4.7 gal K10 tank.
i only get 3 bars when full so there is that problem and have ridden the bike 30 miles with the flashing red and still only put 3.7 gals in to fill.
will have to check this creep thing to see if my tank does that , thanks for that knowledge .
 
Bheezy27403_imp said:
One of my pet peeves with this bike. It takes 20 tries to top off the tank. Every time you think it's full it creeps back down into the abyss.
I recently noticed the same issue. I wonder if there is a venting issue from the factory causing this, or simply the design of the tank and filler. Only bike I've owned over 35 years that does this.
 
Thread starter
don't know if its related but my battery died this morning.
hopefully when a new battery is installed it will reset it.
not sure when the info is stored.
 
That tanking filling/settling drives me crazy and I put it on the centre stand too but the 2002 Nighthawk 750 I just sold did the same thing.
 
I'm not familiar with the emissions setup on these bikes- but on cars they have breather hoses, and carbon canisters to capture gas fumes. You should never 'top off' a modern car because the gas goes into places it shouldn't go and causes problems.

Of course the other end can be bad as well- the fuel pump on most cars is cooled by the gas so running it to empty is stressing the pump. Just like the pump on a power washer that you would clean your deck with- any time you stop spraying, shut off the machine. Don't leave the engine running and go grab a beer or move furniture around. Don't ever start the engine with the water hose not connected and turned on.
 
I commute on my 2014 std. Usually fill up at 130-140 miles and have only filled up over 3 gallons one time. Best bike out there
 
Back
Top