My chain has gone to Honda heaven

Hiram E. Varona_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I'm getting near the 40,000 mile benchmark on my 2014 deluxe. I was doing some of the normal checks on the bike, in addition to the oil, filter, and cleaning some surface corrosion in those hard to get areas and when I began my drive chain inspection I could not get the slack and still keep within the "serviceable" green band. I tried more than once until common sense told me the chain was due for a change. Last Friday a new chain was installed by a local shop, and we are ready for the next 40,000 miles.

Hopefully I'll figure out how to the relocate the rear turn signal lights so as to install
saddle bags bigger than what I'm currently using and start motorcycle camping on the bike. I can't wait to go to Big Cypress now that the Florida weather is cooling off.
 
Hiram E. Varona_imp said:
I'm getting near the 40,000 mile benchmark on my 2014 deluxe. I was doing some of the normal checks on the bike, in addition to the oil, filter, and cleaning some surface corrosion in those hard to get areas and when I began my drive chain inspection I could not get the slack and still keep within the "serviceable" green band. I tried more than once until common sense told me the chain was due for a change. Last Friday a new chain was installed by a local shop, and we are ready for the next 40,000 miles.

Hopefully I'll figure out how to the relocate the rear turn signal lights so as to install
saddle bags bigger than what I'm currently using and start motorcycle camping on the bike. I can't wait to go to Big Cypress now that the Florida weather is cooling off.
That's a healthy amount of riding for one chain!
 
Wow, thats some good chain life! Whatever you do for chain maintenance, I’d say keep it up!!
 
How about frt/rear sprockets and rubber dumper, check the sprocket's teeth shape...chain and sprockets are corresponding parts.
Presently my Std has 63K km/39K mls, my chain, both sprockets and a rubber dumper are being replaced next week or so, waiting for OEM parts, one shot fixes everything, saves time and money.
 
Gee PB, my post above yours applies to you too :D
 
Thread starter
peterbaron_imp said:
How about frt/rear sprockets and rubber dumper, check the sprocket's teeth shape...chain and sprockets are corresponding parts.
Presently my Std has 63K km/39K mls, my chain, both sprockets and a rubber dumper are being replaced next week or so, waiting for OEM parts, one shot fixes everything, saves time and money.
I checked the rear sprockets, disassembled the cover over the forward sprocket, and I had the mechanic installing the chain for a second opinion and we agreed that the wear was negligible. I intend to replace both front and rear sprockets in aprox. 7,000 miles, but as it stands right now I feel confident that they are good to go.
 
I replaced my chain and sprockets at 37,000 miles. Now I'm at about 63,000 so it wont be long until I'm due again.
 
Hiram E. Varona_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
How about frt/rear sprockets and rubber dumper, check the sprocket's teeth shape...chain and sprockets are corresponding parts.
Presently my Std has 63K km/39K mls, my chain, both sprockets and a rubber dumper are being replaced next week or so, waiting for OEM parts, one shot fixes everything, saves time and money.
I checked the rear sprockets, disassembled the cover over the forward sprocket, and I had the mechanic installing the chain for a second opinion and we agreed that the wear was negligible. I intend to replace both front and rear sprockets in aprox. 7,000 miles, but as it stands right now I feel confident that they are good to go.
I checked the rear sprockets, disassembled the cover over the forward sprocket, and I had the mechanic installing the chain for a second opinion and we agreed that the wear was negligible. I intend to replace both front and rear sprockets in aprox. 7,000 miles, but as it stands right now I feel confident that they are good to go.
:thumbsup:
 
I'd say that was a long life from a chain! Which one did you get? Mine isn't anywhere close to being shot, not only that, but I have yet to have to adjust it - which I find unbelievable considering it has been 12000km. Nevertheless, I find myself intensively looking for chain and sprocket kits online LOL

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
 
tod.branko_imp said:
I'd say that was a long life from a chain! Which one did you get? Mine isn't anywhere close to being shot, not only that, but I have yet to have to adjust it - which I find unbelievable considering it has been 12000km. Nevertheless, I find myself intensively looking for chain and sprocket kits online LOL

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
People ought to be kind to their chains and sprockets to get that kind of life. That includes fair lubrication and clever gear shifting. I have never worn out a sprocket, but then again I try to avoid them whenever possible.
 
Thread starter
peterbaron_imp said:
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Gee PB, my post above yours applies to you too :D
MiLord, thank you for your splendid statement....:thumbsup:
MiLord, thank you for your splendid statement....:thumbsup:
I installed a Bike Master 530 BMZR sealed chain. The 530 designation is for a 'heavy duty chain" with a tensile strength of 11,200 lbs. and for bikes with up to 1400cc's.
 
Love my 2014 CB1100, a blast to ride, but one of the many things I really like about my Harley is no chain maintenance.
 
Back
Top