Muffler Gasket for Arrow Slip-On

CaptainChris_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Last night I finally received my Arrow silp-on. Went to do the install and it was a fairly straightforward process. Afterwards during my sanity check with the service manual, I noticed that the stock muffler has a gasket (part # 18392-MG7-750) that goes between it and the header. I didn't see this gasket at all while I was removing the stock one, so the Arrow went on without it. How important is this gasket, and is it just for the stock muffler or should any aftermarket one use it as well? After closer inspection on the stock muffler there is something that looks like it could have been a gasket left on the connecting surface, but it doesn't look like it wants to come off and has the feel of a hard plastic.
 
The Honda repair manual shows sleeve-like gaskets for both single and dual mufflers.
Where is the "something", inside the factory muffler or on the header?
If it's on the header and the Arrow fits well, that's the gasket I would say.
 
Thread starter
Rocky_imp said:
The Honda repair manual shows sleeve-like gaskets for both single and dual mufflers.
Where is the "something", inside the factory muffler or on the header?
If it's on the header and the Arrow fits well, that's the gasket I would say.
Rocky,

The gaskety-looking thingamabob was stuck very securely inside the factory muffler. The Arrow did fit very well and the clamp has it snugged very securely to the header.
 
CaptainChris_imp said:
Rocky_imp said:
The Honda repair manual shows sleeve-like gaskets for both single and dual mufflers.
Where is the "something", inside the factory muffler or on the header?
If it's on the header and the Arrow fits well, that's the gasket I would say.
Rocky,

The gaskety-looking thingamabob was stuck very securely inside the factory muffler. The Arrow did fit very well and the clamp has it snugged very securely to the header.
Rocky,

The gaskety-looking thingamabob was stuck very securely inside the factory muffler. The Arrow did fit very well and the clamp has it snugged very securely to the header.
I figured it was stuck inside the factory muffler.
If the Arrow fits perfectly and doesn't leak, you're home free I would say.
 
Thread starter
the lodger_imp said:
Could someone send me the install instructions for the Arrow slip on ? Many thanks
Hi Lodger,

Remove the bolt holding the muffler hanger to the passenger footrest and loosen the collar holding the end of it to the header. You should then be able to wiggle off the muffler. There should be a silvery gasket that goes between the two. Save it for use with the arrow if possible. Mine wouldn't come loose.

To install the Arrow, slip the gasket on the header, slide the arrow over it along with the new collar that came with, and thread in the hangar bolt and start the nut. Don't tighten it all the way yet. Next tighten the collar to 15ft/lbs and put some engine oil on the threads (not sure why but it says to in the service manual. Finally tighten the hangar bolt to 15ft/lbs as well and you should be good to go.

Edit: Don't forget to unbolt the heat shield and remove the rubber feet underneath. You'll reinstall these on the Arrow.
 
CaptainChris_imp said:
Last night I finally received my Arrow silp-on. Went to do the install and it was a fairly straightforward process. Afterwards during my sanity check with the service manual, I noticed that the stock muffler has a gasket (part # 18392-MG7-750) that goes between it and the header. I didn't see this gasket at all while I was removing the stock one, so the Arrow went on without it. How important is this gasket, and is it just for the stock muffler or should any aftermarket one use it as well? After closer inspection on the stock muffler there is something that looks like it could have been a gasket left on the connecting surface, but it doesn't look like it wants to come off and has the feel of a hard plastic.
I believe it is the standard Honda exhaust gasket which Honda seem to use on their systems.
Usually made of a graphite composite which sits under the joint where the clamp fits.
 
Back
Top