MTC's Modest Mods

emptysea

Road warrior
Thread starter
4 modifications to my otherwise stock CB1100:
[ul] [li]Yoshimura Exhaust System[/li] [li]Heat Demon Grip Warmers[/li] [li]Honda RLETs[/li] [li]G2 Throttle Tamer
[/li][/ul]
Noticeable improvement in performance, even during the short ride home. Thing is, since I did the Yosh and the RLETs at the same time, I can't be sure how much each contributed to the total increase in performance.

6d9b8e1ec6bf423975d579aa2e77bfc6.jpg

64fd058fc2a55cfbd627cf667254d6fa.jpg

11fe4cf48b42684ed7d1214bd3182f6f.jpg

b830ebb8ff5c9109847d1d7cc3ee2746.jpg
 
Good to see the bike looking so good, MTC.

RLETs make a measurable performance difference. So, I'm sure, does the Yoshi. But you really must factor in the throttle tamer. Don't know about the warmers, but they must make some sort of difference given so many people have them.
 
Thread starter
Yes, official Honda RLETS are available. In fact, I was impressed with my Honda service guy, Fred, because he didn't need the part number to order them. Turns out he has 15 bikes of his own, many vintage Hondas. He's calling them RLETS now, by the way. LOL
 
This forum's a trendsetter in oh so many ways.
 
Looking sporty there ES. How's the noise?
 
Absolutely love it! Counting down the days until I get the full Yoshi system myself. And those RLETs are something else. I have to be sure to remember to let Don know before the ECU reflash if I've installed them. I'd hate to have him download a map that doesn't take advantage of the increased HP and torque that the RLETs deliver.
 
Thread starter
The only trepidation I had about any of these changes had to do with the sound of the exhaust. There is another CB1100 in my area with the same setup, but short of having Honda ask him to bring the bike in for a listen, I had nothing to do but trust comments made by people here and by Sevice Guy Fred (SGF). SGF said "If you're looking for loud, this isn't the exhaust for you". Simce SGF seems to have a similar attitude about bikes and riding as I do, his opinion swayed me to go for it.

Love the sound. Deep and louder, but not TOO loud at all. I had Cheryl stand behind the bike and revved it a couple of times. "I don't get why you needed it louder, but it won't be irritating, like those Harleys, when I'm riding behind you". --- Acid test passed!
 
Well, if Cheryl says it's ok ......... :thumbsup:
 
Thread starter
Here's a quick write-up, Elipten:

1. Have your son drop your bike and bend the bars.
2. Have your Honda dealer install the warmers when they are replacing the bars.

LOL

Seriously, I installed these same warmers on my wife's CTX and the instructions on the Heat Demon website are perfect. The only tricky part for me was running the electric from the battery or fuse box. I did not have experience with that, but a friend did and he helped.

Just be prepared for an all-afternoon project and have all your parts and tools ready before you start. Use a compressor and a small flat tool (like a coat hanger) to help remove and replace the grips and less=more with the grip glue.

They work great, but frankly, if I had to install them myself again, and if I hadn't already purchased the product, I'd just spend the money on heated grips rather than these "grip warmers". PM me if you'd like to discuss it further.

Matt
 
Looks good ES, really like the looks of the Yoshi. It would be a good idea to put the small extension on the front fender. The pipes will get pitted from road debris once you put some miles on them, nothing real bad but wish I'd put one on.
 
Thread starter
Thanks CIP. I'll look into that. Oh, and I'm going to order that HRC plate, too. How did you remove the original Yosh emblem?
 
EmptySea_imp said:
Thanks CIP. I'll look into that. Oh, and I'm going to order that HRC plate, too. How did you remove the original Yosh emblem?
Use a straight edge razor on one of the bottom edges to lift it and then just peel it comes right off
 
Are you running a PC-V or similar device to adjust for the new exhaust system? Did you have a professional tune-up or did you handle things yourself? Inquiring minds want to know...
 
Thread starter
The service dept. at my Honda dealer did the install. I did not change anything else mechanically, but the did block whatever the hose is called that would cause popping if left open..
 
EmptySea_imp said:
The service dept. at my Honda dealer did the install. I did not change anything else mechanically, but the did block whatever the hose is called that would cause popping if left open..
Interesting. From what I've read (and experienced changing out an exhaust on a cruiser I used to own), our bikes tend to run lean from the factory and then even leaner once we get more efficient, direct flow from an aftermarket exhaust. This can have the effect of making your engine run hot. Especially with an air-cooled (some oil) engine such as ours, that danger seems particularly increased. This could effect the health and longevity of our bike's engine. Performance may also suffer or, at a minimum, not reach its potential given a less than ideal air:fuel ratio. It's because of all of this that adding some type of air:fuel management system whenever modifying the exhaust system (including changing to a higher flow air filter) is highly recommended.

I've interpreted that to mean either getting something like the Power Commander V and applying the appropriate map that accounts for the exhaust system you're running, taking the bike for a professional dyno tune with the modifications in place, or, having the ECU flashed taking into account the exhaust modifications. It seems to me that one of those three is a necessity to optimize performance and minimize or eliminate any damage from the modification.

Hopefully, others here with more knowledge and experience than I have can weigh in on this as I'm planning on going the same route you've gone. I realize the ECU reflash, dyno tune and PC-V have other benefits that shoudl be considered but I'm more interested in avoiding harm to the bike from the failure to do one of them when adding an aftermarket exhaust system.

Any thoughts?
 
Thread starter
There are definitely folks who know more about this than I and I hope that they chime in here. With things mechanical, I tend to agree that you often cannot change one thing without needing to tweak something else, but I have been assured by both hey Honda guy and at least two people on this forum that no further tweaking would be needed. It will be interesting to see what othe folks think.
 
I am really interested in whether the stock handlebar weights (what fits inside the handlebar) were retained. The stock bar end weights certainly appear to be. Per the Heat Demon installation video, the heating elements and all the wiring fits inside the bars. The rubber isolators that go around the internal weights are already a snug fit. I really love how clean these heated grips install without cluttering the bars. It would be nice to know if they play nice with all the OEM parts.
 
Back
Top