Mt St Helens

kennyw

Road warrior
Thread starter
Spent the Saturday riding from Bellevue, WA to Mt St Helens and back.

Started off the morning meeting at a local coffee stand. There was a very diverse group of bikes.


We had another stop half way down to meet up with more people. We started out from here with 21 bikes.


From here, no pics from the road as I don't have gear for that yet. But we lost one bike on the way up when a gal hit her husband's bike and went down at 60 mph. Luckily, no serious injuries or damage. The couple broke away from the group and rode home.

Here is a couple shots from the observatory.




Then the sunset from the restaurant on the way home.
 
A diverse group of bikes indeed! That's too bad about the lady who crashed. Glad she was okay. Great shot of your CB with the snow covered mountain in the background. I remember being on a family road trip not too long after Mount St. Helens erupted. I was 12. My only memory from that trip was going through a KFC drive-thru and being given a souvenir container filled with ash from the eruption. Odd but it apparently made an impression on me.

Thanks for posting your ride!
 
Thread starter
One more picture from the top.

 
Nice pics. Love the mountains, hate riding in groups. Do it upon occasion, but certainly not my thing. Too bad about the lady and her husband. 60 mph? wow that had to be a hit.
 
Thread starter
Luckily, her riding gear saved her. The husband decided not to pass and slowed down just as she started accelerating to follow him.
 
I find that having too many bikes in a group causes folks to follow too closely. If you spread out properly, the tail end gets separated pretty easily at a light or whatever and then all heck breaks loose as folks start looking for the lost group, U-turns ensue and it's a mess. Glad they were okay, anyhow!
 
Lovely photos kennyw. Glad the woman and her husband are OK.
 
Thread starter
 
The ferret_imp said:
Nice pics. Love the mountains, hate riding in groups. Do it upon occasion, but certainly not my thing. Too bad about the lady and her husband. 60 mph? wow that had to be a hit.
We were on a dual sport ride in that general are the week before. 14 riders...14 bikes. I had pre-ridden the 200 miles the day before with just the ride leader. At lunch, he jokingly said "You need to go wash off my dust!" Went to the washroom, looked at my face and laughed. Next day, with 14 riders, twelve of them unknown to me, I rode a half-mile behind the sweep rider. The pace was about 80% of the day before.I wanted clean air, and no drama. Still had a lot of fun visiting at lunch, but no need to "watch" the people in front of me up close. Only one rider had a get-off. Very minor. Pick it up and kept going.
 
Kenny-Have you been up the other side of Mt. St. Helens? That's been one of my favorite trips on the CB, but there are parts of forest road 25 that just drop from frost heaves. The trip up to windy ridge is great, it's been a couple of years now and I'm gonna try this summer. JonZ
 
Thread starter
Jonz_imp said:
Kenny-Have you been up the other side of Mt. St. Helens? That's been one of my favorite trips on the CB, but there are parts of forest road 25 that just drop from frost heaves. The trip up to windy ridge is great, it's been a couple of years now and I'm gonna try this summer. JonZ
I have not been there yet. My plan is to explore more once I finish up with college.
 
Great pictures of what sounds like a great day.

I canNOT get my folks to park their bikes in any sort of organized fashion. If ever you see any of my pictures where all the bikes are lined up nicely, please know that was by pure happenstance.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
Great pictures of what sounds like a great day.

I canNOT get my folks to park their bikes in any sort of organized fashion. If ever you see any of my pictures where all the bikes are lined up nicely, please know that was by pure happenstance.
Try setting a slightly less cracking pace. They're obviously so tired by the time you're finished with them that they can't wait to get off. :D
 
Cormanus_imp said:
EmptySea_imp said:
Great pictures of what sounds like a great day.

I canNOT get my folks to park their bikes in any sort of organized fashion. If ever you see any of my pictures where all the bikes are lined up nicely, please know that was by pure happenstance.
Try setting a slightly less cracking pace. They're obviously so tired by the time you're finished with them that they can't wait to get off. :D
Try setting a slightly less cracking pace. They're obviously so tired by the time you're finished with them that they can't wait to get off. :D
They certainly can't wait to get off their bikes when I lead, but not because of the cracking pace. More likely, they're just annoyed from being lost for the prior 3 hours.
 
Back
Top