Mrs Ferret's new ride

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
Mrs. Ferret has been my passenger since 1972. All over the US, Canada and Europe. In fall 2021, after two replacement knees and one replacement hip, she decided she could no longer mount and dismount a regular motorcycle, nor ride long distances. This was the reason I traded my FJR in on the NC 750X. Last October she had the other hip replaced. She's totally bionic now lol.

Well, she has been grousing about not being able to ride, told me to sell her gear etc, which I refused to do, holding out hope she could ride with me again someday. At one time she had a Majesty 400 scooter she liked a lot, but eventually didn't ride it enough to keep it, so we traded it in on our Quad with snow blade. I suggested we go up and look at scooters again. Neither Honda nor Yamaha makes a maxi scooter anymore, but she took a liking to the Honda PCX 150 scooter even though the "tunnel" is not as deep as it was on her Majesty which makes it a little harder for her to mount/dismount. She only intends to take short rides with me on the backroads around our county, at speeds in the 45-55 mph range (the PCX is rated for 70 mph, but I doubt if it will do much over 60).

After an hour's test ride, she decided it would do, and proceeded to make a deal on it. Yesterday we picked it up and brought it home.

4ad839bdbf312725e37c39d5b175deef.jpg


09c061b61289c86a94e4b68f92f28d56.jpg


Raining today, and grandkids might have baseball games this weekend, so it might be next week before she gets to actually ride it lol. Will be nice to be able to ride with her again.
 
I like it. Looks great!
 
Congrats to Mrs. Ferret & Co. White is beautiful.
Since this is Honda, must write a few words in What did you do with.. other bike section
There is some room for RLET :P

8bbe52b89b61408b79abff16da80c82e.jpg
 
Congrats to Mrs. Ferret. Now you need a trailer hitch for the Mustang so you can trailer down to this year's rally!
 
Excellent, excellent, excellent choice Mrs. Ferret.

I have a Honda PCX150 and the spouse loves it. I use it a lot for hop 'n' go errands due to its vast storage, economy and easy maneuverability in an urban setting (free parking tucked away on sidewalks!).

It seems to have no problem sustaining 112 km/h on the freeway (throttle about pinned), but we all know this is somewhat extreme. Nevertheless, the little Honda just takes it.

Congratulations!

Is it a 2022 or 2023 model year?
 
Thread starter
2022. I rode it home for her yesterday and at 45 mph the gauge was reading 87 mpg lol
The A-man_imp said:
Congrats to Mrs. Ferret. Now you need a trailer hitch for the Mustang so you can trailer down to this year's rally!

:rofl: not this again. Sports cars don't get trailer hitches!
 
Those scooters are great and have surprising performance for their size. I test rode one last year and was impressed.
Wow! That lady has been through a lot with the knees and hips.
I have a steel shoulder so I'm a bit bionic too ;)
 
That's awesome! Congrats on the bike and hope you both enjoy many, many rides together.
 
Love the new scooter! Does this mean that Cheryl and I might get to ride with her next time we're in the area? Hope so!

I'm not sure if I want to debate a) whether hitches can go on sports cars or b) whether a Mustang convertible is a sports car (no matter how fast Di drives). :)
 
Thread starter
Nice! Wow that's a big windshield compared to the one on Mrs Ferret's
 
Awesome scooter! Congrats! It's very cool that you can both ride together.

Been floating the idea to Mrs. G that we should get her a scooter when she makes the rounds to visit patients in the area.
 
Thread starter
Wow she just called for insurance on the thing, and it cost twice as much as my CB 1100. Ended up getting liability only.
 
That's a slick looking thing. I dig it.

Funny you mention bionic- I am nowhere near as old as you- I was born on the tail end of '73- but my years in the Army definitely took their toll on me.

Soo- I found this last week and it looks GREAT- so I backed it on Kickstarter and am VERY excited to try it on all sorts of things when it arrives in the fall.

Kickbooster


1hp- lightweight- helps you walk, run, climb stairs easier, allow you to carry heavy loads with MUCH less effort. Stabilizes walking down stairs or hills. Even bicycle further.

I could have used this on my multi-country trip through Europe a few years ago- and I might be going to Japan and if so- will definitely bring this!!

Also wish I had it shoveling 2 feet of snow a few years back.

Here is a video of it being tried by a guy-
The ferret_imp said:
Wow she just called for insurance on the thing, and it cost twice as much as my CB 1100. Ended up getting liability only.


Geez.
 
Great to hear Mrs Ferret is getting back in two wheels. And on such a cool looking scooter.
 
Always wonder what I'll ride in upcoming years as I tenuously move the CB around the garage. With one replaced knee (not 100% successful), and the other one not great, perhaps a scooter in my future too?
 
Wagonpeddler_imp said:
Always wonder what I'll ride in upcoming years as I tenuously move the CB around the garage. With one replaced knee (not 100% successful), and the other one not great, perhaps a scooter in my future too?
In addition, would it also be electric?

I believe Ferret's 400 cc scooter experience might be a sweet spot for many "retired" riders, but yearly it seems electric scooters seem harder to ignore.

I have met and rode with a retired couple in the U.S. who have travelled coast-to-coast (U.S. and Canada) two-up on a Yamaha Majesty 400. They kept up with the rest of the riding group, mostly challenged on inclined mountain pass interstate highways.
 
Thread starter
Scooters are the perfect platform for electric imo. They are " generally" used suburban, not long distance, not hign speed and the bodywork can perfectly hide the EV battery.
 
Back
Top