Mounting the Honda Rear Rack

Capo

Road warrior
Thread starter
The engineer responsible for designing the OEM Honda rear rack for the CB1100 is an evil, evil man. Installing that thing caused me to utter more expletives than one would hear in a Quentin Tarantino film with a script enhanced by David Mamet.

At one point I was using my groin to balance the rack, my left foot to twist in a bolt, and my daughter to apologize to the neighbors for my 100 decibel stream of invective.

But it's on now, and it looks pretty good. I have gone deep into a bottle of Sailor Jerry rum this evening, and things are looking up. Thank you for listening.
 
Thats funny LOL

A user posted instructions on the UK board that make it fairly easy. I don't know if they made it to this board though.
 
Shoulda had a look at this:

Post: #6RE: Rear chrome rack from Honda
1. Remove seat, cover the fuel tank and tail-light bracket and then pull a pair of sports socks over the indicators. The socks protect the chrome indicator housings from Allen keys and the various bolts as they are removed and replaced. The indicators themselves can be gently pulled or pushed to achieve clearance as required.
2. Loosen, to finger tight, the four retaining bolts on the grip assembly.
3. Remove the front bolts (only) completely. The grip assembly (the silver bits running along the frame) should stay close to "in position". Place the rack roughly in position over the grip assembly and tail light area.
4. Place the front of the rack so that you can slide the (longer) front bolts through the rack, spacers and grip assembly through to the nuts that are fixed to the frame. Tighten to finger tight. The rack is now held in position by the front bolts and now sits atop the (covered) tail light assembly at the rear, or if you have the front bolts just tight enough, sitting above the assembly.
5. Remove the rear bolts. You will need to hold the nuts to stop them falling as they are not attached to the frame. Either that or let them drop and find them
6. Put the rear of the rack and spacers in position and, gently moving the indicators clear, slide in the (longer) rear bolts through the rack, spacers and metal indicator seals. Make sure these "seals", which seal off the indicator internals, are correctly positioned with their tabs correctly positioned.
7. The tricky bit is to start the nuts, by fingers, on to the bolts. To start this is achieved a flat and a bit at a time. Once started, jam the nuts ( I use my fingers) and then tighten the bolts.
8. Tighten all and remove protectors, replace seat.
9. Have a cold beer (WARNING - leave this step to last)

VOILA!

I remove and replace my rack at regular intervals. After the first couple of times it takes less than a few minutes. Some key points:
When fitting the front, square the rack so that you can fit the spacers, the rear squares itself when the front is finger tightened
Don't damage the indicators when pushing in the rear bolts
Make sure the indicator metal backs are positioned correctly

I apologize if I haven't been clear but am doing this away from my bike, one armed, and a few hours out of a general anaesthetic (bicep distal tendon rupture repair). I'm on opiates so it may all be totally unintelligible and I will get a laugh from this post a little further down the track.

Cheers
If you got that then removal is sorta just a reversal. Three months before I can straighten my left arm - @&$?! and bugger!
(This post was last modified: 03-10-2014 03:16 AM by Pterodactyl.)
 
I've got 6 arms and 6 fingers on each hand, didn't help mounting the rack.
They did help wash down the obscenities that were coming out of my mouth.
 
Pterodactyl_imp said:
Shoulda had a look at this:

Post: #6RE: Rear chrome rack from Honda
1. Remove seat, cover the fuel tank and tail-light bracket and then pull a pair of sports socks over the indicators. The socks protect the chrome indicator housings from Allen keys and the various bolts as they are removed and replaced. The indicators themselves can be gently pulled or pushed to achieve clearance as required.
2. Loosen, to finger tight, the four retaining bolts on the grip assembly.
3. Remove the front bolts (only) completely. The grip assembly (the silver bits running along the frame) should stay close to "in position". Place the rack roughly in position over the grip assembly and tail light area.
4. Place the front of the rack so that you can slide the (longer) front bolts through the rack, spacers and grip assembly through to the nuts that are fixed to the frame. Tighten to finger tight. The rack is now held in position by the front bolts and now sits atop the (covered) tail light assembly at the rear, or if you have the front bolts just tight enough, sitting above the assembly.
5. Remove the rear bolts. You will need to hold the nuts to stop them falling as they are not attached to the frame. Either that or let them drop and find them
6. Put the rear of the rack and spacers in position and, gently moving the indicators clear, slide in the (longer) rear bolts through the rack, spacers and metal indicator seals. Make sure these "seals", which seal off the indicator internals, are correctly positioned with their tabs correctly positioned.
7. The tricky bit is to start the nuts, by fingers, on to the bolts. To start this is achieved a flat and a bit at a time. Once started, jam the nuts ( I use my fingers) and then tighten the bolts.
8. Tighten all and remove protectors, replace seat.
9. Have a cold beer (WARNING - leave this step to last)

VOILA!

I remove and replace my rack at regular intervals. After the first couple of times it takes less than a few minutes. Some key points:
When fitting the front, square the rack so that you can fit the spacers, the rear squares itself when the front is finger tightened
Don't damage the indicators when pushing in the rear bolts
Make sure the indicator metal backs are positioned correctly

I apologize if I haven't been clear but am doing this away from my bike, one armed, and a few hours out of a general anaesthetic (bicep distal tendon rupture repair). I'm on opiates so it may all be totally unintelligible and I will get a laugh from this post a little further down the track.

Cheers
If you got that then removal is sorta just a reversal. Three months before I can straighten my left arm - @&$?! and bugger!
(This post was last modified: 03-10-2014 03:16 AM by Pterodactyl.)
How's the healing coming along?

Note to Tortuga and the Spaceman, I'd have thought the title of this thread offers opportunities to inventive chaps like you.
 
Capo_imp said:
The engineer responsible for designing the OEM Honda rear rack for the CB1100 is an evil, evil man. Installing that thing caused me to utter more expletives than one would hear in a Quentin Tarantino film with a script enhanced by David Mamet.

At one point I was using my groin to balance the rack, my left foot to twist in a bolt, and my daughter to apologize to the neighbors for my 100 decibel stream of invective.

But it's on now, and it looks pretty good. I have gone deep into a bottle of Sailor Jerry rum this evening, and things are looking up. Thank you for listening.
LoL I had about the same feeling this winter when I mounted mine... One hour wandering if I would succeed ! Eventually I bent the turning lights strongly enough to pass the rear bolts, but I was very uncomfortable. Fortunately they came back to their initial state, ouf !
 
I've heard it was a pain... That's why I want the dealer to install mine...when they decide to
bring one to the states for the 14dlx.
 
Thread starter
Pterodactyl' pid='41142' dateline='1399779469 said:
Shoulda had a look at this. quote]

Yes. I should have. And my wife, adding the ever so passive aggressive 'Oh, didn't you read the instructions, dear?' agrees.

All good now. After hanging out with Sailor Jerry, I went out in the garage and stared at the beauty that is the CB. Then I went over to my shelf and looked at my trophy for winning the Central New Jersey Plymouth Trouble Shooting contest in High School auto shop in 1976, which gave me my confidence and manhood back. Or maybe it was the rum that did that...

331f3ca963f90e6e26cf0ccfff6744d1.jpg
17b018752aecd8c537083222c7d02ab0.jpg
 
Capo_imp said:
Pterodactyl' pid='41142' dateline='1399779469 said:
Shoulda had a look at this. quote]

Yes. I should have. And my wife, adding the ever so passive aggressive 'Oh, didn't you read the instructions, dear?' agrees.

All good now. After hanging out with Sailor Jerry, I went out in the garage and stared at the beauty that is the CB. Then I went over to my shelf and looked at my trophy for winning the Central New Jersey Plymouth Trouble Shooting contest in High School auto shop in 1976, which gave me my confidence and manhood back. Or maybe it was the rum that did that...

331f3ca963f90e6e26cf0ccfff6744d1.jpg
17b018752aecd8c537083222c7d02ab0.jpg
You should get Pterodactyl to introduce you to Bundy!
 
Capo_imp said:
Pterodactyl' pid='41142' dateline='1399779469 said:
Shoulda had a look at this. quote]

Yes. I should have. And my wife, adding the ever so passive aggressive 'Oh, didn't you read the instructions, dear?' agrees.

All good now. After hanging out with Sailor Jerry, I went out in the garage and stared at the beauty that is the CB. Then I went over to my shelf and looked at my trophy for winning the Central New Jersey Plymouth Trouble Shooting contest in High School auto shop in 1976, which gave me my confidence and manhood back. Or maybe it was the rum that did that...

331f3ca963f90e6e26cf0ccfff6744d1.jpg
17b018752aecd8c537083222c7d02ab0.jpg
Nice garage!! What kind of car is that?
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Capo_imp said:
Pterodactyl' pid='41142' dateline='1399779469 said:
Shoulda had a look at this. quote]

Yes. I should have. And my wife, adding the ever so passive aggressive 'Oh, didn't you read the instructions, dear?' agrees.

All good now. After hanging out with Sailor Jerry, I went out in the garage and stared at the beauty that is the CB. Then I went over to my shelf and looked at my trophy for winning the Central New Jersey Plymouth Trouble Shooting contest in High School auto shop in 1976, which gave me my confidence and manhood back. Or maybe it was the rum that did that...

331f3ca963f90e6e26cf0ccfff6744d1.jpg
17b018752aecd8c537083222c7d02ab0.jpg
You should get Pterodactyl to introduce you to Bundy!
You should get Pterodactyl to introduce you to Bundy!
This is BUNDY:
[/img]
Another fine Australian, 100% natural, product. From the green, green, cane fields of Central Queensland. How can it not be good for you?

Some seem to have a problem with the rack. It really is a pinch of possum's to install. If I can stay off the Bundy I will revise my post, add some photos, and post to "How To". On second thoughts I will get into the Bundy and revise the post:( .

Cheers
And Capo, beautiful garage enhanced by a beautiful bike.
 
Thread starter
.jpg[/IMG]
[/QUOTE]

Nice garage!! What kind of car is that?
[/QUOTE]

It's a Lotus Elise. My four wheeled motorbike.

And Bundy...hmmm...I'll be looking for that over here!
 
I've drunk Bundy, and not to be mean it is not good stuff. Vegamite I like, Tam Tams are great, even wheatbix are good but hard. But Bundy is not going down the hatch again unless I am in shear desperation mate.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Ridem32_imp said:
When I get my rack for the 14 deluxe will be ready for war! Lol
Mate, just as well you did that reflash! Otherwise the bike would be so heavy with farkles, it would hard to move it up a hill. :P
 
Capo - love your bike, especially the seat.

My first attempt at installing the rear rack was similiar to yours. 30 minutes into the process, sweating profusely, I found myself on all fours trying to find a spacer or nut for about the 10th time.

I've had mine off several times since then and now it's a 5 minute job. It helps that I have the Japanese model's turn signals that are a lot smaller.
 
Capo_imp said:
Pterodactyl' pid='41142' dateline='1399779469 said:
Shoulda had a look at this. quote]

Yes. I should have. And my wife, adding the ever so passive aggressive 'Oh, didn't you read the instructions, dear?' agrees.

All good now. After hanging out with Sailor Jerry, I went out in the garage and stared at the beauty that is the CB. Then I went over to my shelf and looked at my trophy for winning the Central New Jersey Plymouth Trouble Shooting contest in High School auto shop in 1976, which gave me my confidence and manhood back. Or maybe it was the rum that did that...

331f3ca963f90e6e26cf0ccfff6744d1.jpg
17b018752aecd8c537083222c7d02ab0.jpg
Another clean and orderly garage :thumbsup:
 
Back
Top