Mountain Diversion

Guth_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
For as much time as I spend near Mt. Hood it is surprising that I rarely make the journey up to the mountain itself. Knowing how much the ferret enjoys photos of mountains, this morning I decided that I'd take a little diversion up to higher elevations with my camera along for the ride.

The classic ride from Portland is to make a loop that includes the Columbia River Gorge, Hood River, the valley, Mt. Hood and then back home. The loop around the mountain is also known as the "Fruit Loop" because of all of the orchards located in the valley. One of these days I'll try to take my camera along on this route.

This morning's ride was just a quick run up to Timberline Lodge which is appropriately named as it sits right at the timberline up on Mt. Hood. The lodge itself is very cool. It was built back in the 1930's and is easily worth a visit on it's own. The mountain scenery is the icing on the cake.

As usual, the photos tell the story better than I can.

a552cab76906524f7924990b65868cab.jpg

The highway up to Mt. Hood (resting peacefully in the background).

68bc32c0d758509158cb7fa59be27f47.jpg

Parked outside of the Mt. Hood Museum and Cultural Center located in the village of Government Camp.

f5b76236a04351916428e4704134207b.jpg

This shot was from the parking lot up at the lodge. This as far up the mountain as you can ride without leaving the pavement.

d526fa8535b8bb959f3aebac2d9201c7.jpg

This is the entrance to Timberline Lodge. It's an awesome place. I wish I would have thought to take a picture of the entire building. It's size is impressive — especially considering where it was constructed.

5d8614c372364e8eef8a19a0f1f0a814.jpg

This is the view from the lodge looking towards the south. That's Mt. Jefferson in the background. A good closing shot for this report.
 
oooh mannn what great pics. Heck of a mountain it appears. Snow for a long ways up. Thanks Guth, enjoyed the pics very much.
 
Love the pictures :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Thanks for sharing. Combine mountains and motorcycles and I'm smitten!
Where I live there are no mountains higher than 1,500 foot highlands.
I've ridden in the Andes Mountains and the Canadian Rocky Mountains and am awestruck by them so there can never be too many pictures of mountains for me.
 
Excellent, Guth. A great view.
 
Very nice pics. I spent part of my honeymoon there as I used to live very close to it in Sandy Oregon. "'The Shining' was filmed partially there and we stayed on the room to the left of the window where the kid slid out of the bathroom window. Exceptional craftsmanship went into that building.
 
Great pictures Guth! My wife and I will be in Oregon in September...our first time there. We're really looking forward to it!
 
Wonderful pictures, Guth. You really need to "just go for a ride" more often...and don't forget the camera.
 
Those are beautiful pictures! I've flown over the Cascade Range many times but am always awestruck at the beauty of those peaks. I definitely need to spend more time on the ground exploring your part of the world.
 
redbirds_imp said:
What can compare with gorgeous snow capped mountains as a backdrop. Beautiful Guth.
Very nice write up about an awesome, scenic trip, Guth!

Now to bring us all back down to earth, when I first saw your thread title, Guth, the funny play on words, "mountin' da version" (of CB1100 that you ride) popped into my head!

What more can I say? Guess I'm a little "tetched!"
Fritz
 
Fritz, is there something in the water in Chicago that produces players with words?
 
I'm glad that flushed you out ES. This new bloke, Fritz, is spraying little word plays all over the place today. He'll soon be breathing down your neck!
 
Cormanus_imp said:
I'm glad that flushed you out ES. This new bloke, Fritz, is spraying little word plays all over the place today. He'll soon be breathing down your neck!
Nice one, Cormanus! The word "bloke" is especially apt! You're really trying to suggest I should "b(e)-lo(w)-ke(y)!" :sleepy:

Thanks!
fritz
 
Back
Top