Motus V4

I wish the Motus was not so expensive. There is a dealer in Georgia but I have not seen the bikes listed on their current inventory. The motor looks to be a gem and the HP and torque figures are impressive.
 
Yea $33K puts it out of my reach, but would love to have one.. or see one, sit on one, hear one in the flesh.
 
Thread starter
redbirds_imp said:
I wish the Motus was not so expensive. There is a dealer in Georgia but I have not seen the bikes listed on their current inventory. The motor looks to be a gem and the HP and torque figures are impressive.
The Houston dealer is claiming theirs will show up next month. Never spend the bucks to buy one, but would like to see one in the flesh.
 
DGShannon_imp said:
TINK_imp said:
For around $3K you can pick up a used VFR and get that great V4 sound on the cheap.
Great sound, but not the same has half a small block Chevy!
Great sound, but not the same has half a small block Chevy!
The VFR is one of my favorite bikes but doesn't match 160hp and over 120lbft of torque. Motor has hydraulic lifters so there are no valve adjustments ever. Only 40lbs heavier wet with luggage than a CB1100.
 
I have been exchanging emails with Motus for about 3 years. In the early days, they were responsive to my questions about torque reaction, V4 coning type vibration and others. They thought they had all the answers back then, but where are the bikes? I suspect they have had quite a few bugs to work out, and it has taken some major rework.

Reminds me of the Hesketh back in the 80's. Sounded great on paper, but took a long time to get bugs out and went into receivership before making very many bikes. I never received mine, although I did see one last year at a classic bike show.

I hope Motus succeeds. I will buy one if they ever get into real production.
 
There's a motus dealer in Livermore here in the SF area. Stopped by a month or so back to see one but they said they were still a ways off. Was just curious as I could not spend 30k on a bike.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
There was an article on them in Motorcyclist magazine not too long ago. They are doing fine, making progress, bikes in limited production; but I heard a glitch came up so production is stalled until a solution presents its' self. They are in no hurry to bring a POS to market, would rather get it right the first time. Cheaper that way. No recalls.
 
Thessler,

Can you expound on coning type vibration?
 
Coning vibration is where the two crankshaft ends vibrate in a reverse cone, sort of shaped like two ice-cream cones with the pointy ends in the center of the crank. The two crankpins are 180 degrees in revolution apart from each other but separated by several inches. Think about how a bicycle moves back and forth as you pedal it. All triples and V-4 with 180 degree cranks have it. Some people refer to it as "rocking couple". Most triples have a balance shaft running at engine speed to counter balance the vibration. V-4's are not quite as bad as triples, as their crankshafts are shorter. The coning vibration is sometimes referred to as nutation by automotive engineers. In-line fours do not have it as their outer cylinders go up and down together and 180 degrees opposite the two inner cylinders. You see very few V-4 car engines because the rocking couple is significant in bigger displacements. Although I am not an expert on vibration, I have been studying it ever since my hands fell asleep on my first bike back in 1968.
 
Back
Top