Motorcycle Truisms

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
Motorcycle truisms
If two air gauges agree, they are both wrong.
Shaft drives are less trouble than chain drives, until they aren’t.
The center of a tire ruins a perfectly good motorcycle tire.
Motorcycles choose the most awkward times to fall over.
It’s best to keep summer air in the tires.
Rule number one; look where you want to go. Rule number two; reread rule number one.
June bugs aim for the head.
Slow for school zones, loose gravel, speed traps, and vultures feeding on road kill.
Expensive modifications reduce the sale value of the motorcycle.
New tires just feel good.
That first ride in the spring is going to be wobbly.
Motorcycles make you invisible.
Loud bikes are just loud.
Helmet shields are best cleaned with dish soap, warm water, and finger tips. Dry with microfiber or a dish towel from IKEA. Paper products scratch plastic. Yes, even Kleenex, if paper is only available, blot gently.
You can fall asleep on a motorcycle.
When traveling east; start late and ride till dark but watch for deer.
When traveling west; start early and stop early, but watch for deer.
Watch for deer.
Choose able travel companions that can be a bit crusty.
Let the kid sit on your bike.
 
“Motorcycles choose the most awkward times to fall over.” And there will always be an audience.
 
Men are told that buying a motorcycle will help them meet women, but the only people who show intrest and come up to talk about the motorcycle are other men.
 
DutchRutter_imp said:
Men are told that buying a motorcycle will help them meet women, but the only people who show intrest and come up to talk about the motorcycle are other men.
From my perspective, there is some amount of truth. High school days of riding was indeed countless moments of fun. There have been some mature moments of adult enjoyment, however generally, many have understandably other priorities and interests - as anyone else. Besides, I am unsure from the view of a woman's discerning eye whether or not the selection field of "fine men" who ride is somewhat perceived as narrow. If so, I would generally not disagree.
 
I don't know if this is a truism but i always found it interesting when i think about it. Motorcycles (and even bicycles) are vehicles that work entirely by taking advantage of relativistic physics. the Isaac Newton model of gravity actually doesn't quite work when applied to the observed gyroscopic physics of a motorcycle in motion. It's just a bit off, ,similar to how it's a bit off in terms of predicting the motion of more extreme planets like mercury.

So, Humans being Humans, in the early part of the 20th century we invented a machine that's built on a principle of physics that nobody at the time yet fully understood, included absolutely no provision for safety, barely worked without exploding into a massive oil slick, and the first thing we did was use them for racing.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
“Motorcycles choose the most awkward times to fall over.” And there will always be an audience.
Not necessarily a bad situation. Then I know I will have help lifting my motorcycle up off of the ground.

——————————

If riding your motorcycle during a weather forecast “Slight Chance of an Afternoon Thunderstorm”, expect to get totally drenched.
 
Thread starter
The Gecko_imp said:
DutchRutter_imp said:
Men are told that buying a motorcycle will help them meet women, but the only people who show intrest and come up to talk about the motorcycle are other men.
Just not true !
Just not true !
Hmmm must not be a truism then :rofl:
 
The ferret_imp said:
The Gecko_imp said:
DutchRutter_imp said:
Men are told that buying a motorcycle will help them meet women, but the only people who show intrest and come up to talk about the motorcycle are other men.
Just not true !
Just not true !
Hmmm must not be a truism then :rofl:
Just not true !
Hmmm must not be a truism then :rofl:
Very true.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
The Gecko_imp said:
DutchRutter_imp said:
Men are told that buying a motorcycle will help them meet women, but the only people who show intrest and come up to talk about the motorcycle are other men.
Just not true !
Just not true !
Hmmm must not be a truism then :rofl:
Just not true !
Hmmm must not be a truism then :rofl:
Very true.
Just not true !
Hmmm must not be a truism then :rofl:
Very true.
I actually find the converse is true: as a woman motorcyclist, I often have men come up and admire the bike - good thing I also have rickcb along as a 'wingman' so there isn't too much "interest" :blush:
 
Weirdly, I only had women gawk or "cat call" me when I rode Italian brand motorcycles.

Men approach (or stalk?), or say at red lights, " ... hey, wow, that is one good lookin' bike - what is it?" - when I ride Japanese motorcycles.
 
I only mention it, truism or not, because that's what I told my very single buddy to get him to take the endorsement class and ultimately buy his Yamaha Bolt. He's meet and chatted with a lot of random men since buying the bike. Not one female even glances his way. Might not be because of the bike tho lol. Either way, he is very happy he learned how to ride and bought that Yamaha.

My experience on the CB has been similar to GoldOxide's on itialian bikes. Glances, stares and the occasional tug on the sleeve of and point the bike out to their significant other. But I've only been approached/stalked and talked to about it by men. Me being married tho, I'm just fine with that and so is Mrs. DutchRutter. Now I'm sure if/when she learns and we get her a bike, shell have the same experience as sneakyfast.

But to redeem myself here's a truism.
If you have a eight dollar head, get a eight dollar helmet.
 
Thread starter
I've had random women approach me ....well one.... and start asking questions about my bike. At first I was excited, thinking maybe I was being hit on, but being in my 70's, short, bald, and built like an M &M peanut, the realization soon came to me, that she really was interested in the bike. Can't blame her, my deluxe is a handsome machine.
 
If my permissions extended to changing members’ avatars … :P
 
Ferret, all statements are true on that list. Think you covered all the bases. If I might add one, few things in life are as satisfying for the soul as a solo ride on a cool autumn morning.
 
Back
Top