Motorcycle-Only Garage

Stichill

Road warrior
Thread starter
I'm planning a motorcycle-only garage. It will be insulated and have HVAC with a floor area of 20 feet wide x 24 feet deep (6,1 m x 7,3 m), with a side porch 8 feet wide x 24 feet long (2,4 m x 7,3 m). There will be two personnel entrances and one 16 feet wide x 9 feet tall (4,9 m x 2,7 m) main garage door. There will be storage space in the attic.

Would be interested in ideas regarding specification details that would be advisable. For example, I've specified treated wood where in contact with concrete, and galvanized hardware where in contact with treated wood. Fascia boards and gable end roof trim boards of treated wood with aluminum cladding and drip rails.

I haven't decided on exterior finish material. I'm not a huge fan of the look of vinyl (especially when it sags and warps) but I do like the durability and geometric stability of aluminum siding (which seems to be getting scarcer these days). Would rather not do something that results in the need to paint periodically (would rather be riding!).

077e3862434e5a08919201168166cf17.jpg
 
Looks pretty good Stichill. I'm a big fan of a close grained timber that will never need painting. A variety of pine that will go an agreeable grey.
 
Thread starter
That's an interesting suggestion, Cormanus. Around here cedar is applied in that manner. Can be either lap siding or shake. I'll look into costs.
 
Sounds like you have good carpentry instincts.

Hardiboard would last forever.

A hard piped compressed air system would be a nice touch as would an extra electrical outlet for a kegerator for those "after ride club meetings".
 
Yeah, I guess cedar would do the trick too. My then wife and I built a sauna once and the outside was clad in western red cedar which we left untreated.

To save a few dollars, forget the piped compressed air and just install a 'fridge. Then find a way to capture the post-ride hot air for later use as an inflating agent.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Yeah, I guess cedar would do the trick too. My then wife and I built a sauna once and the outside was clad in western red cedar which we left untreated.

To save a few dollars, forget the piped compressed air and just install a 'fridge. Then find a way to capture the post-ride hot air for later use as an inflating agent.
:rofl:

Cedar shakes are common in New England, especially on Cape Cod and the islands.

The garage design looks good Stichill. I would add a wood stove and a couple of comfortable chairs to turn it into a winter "man-cave". :)
 
Thread starter
Great suggestions, crew - thanks! Cormanus I was wondering if you were talking about some kind of locally-hewn timber as is done with barns? I think around here that is mostly oak sawn on site from locally felled trees.

Hardieboard, HardiePlank, etc. are great suggestions as well!

Proposals for man-cave accoutrement duly noted! :thumbsup:
 
Sounds like a fun project! As to vinyl siding: it works fine if installed properly. I did a large shed with it 17 years ago and it works fine.
 
Stichill_imp said:
Great suggestions, crew - thanks! Cormanus I was wondering if you were talking about some kind of locally-hewn timber as is done with barns? I think around here that is mostly oak sawn on site from locally felled trees.

Hardieboard, HardiePlank, etc. are great suggestions as well!

Proposals for man-cave accoutrement duly noted! :thumbsup:
Oak? Here is province that is mostly trees, oak is pretty expensive hardwood. I would be surprized if that was an economical choice. Sure would be nice though. :D
 
Stichill_imp said:
Great suggestions, crew - thanks! Cormanus I was wondering if you were talking about some kind of locally-hewn timber as is done with barns? I think around here that is mostly oak sawn on site from locally felled trees.

Hardieboard, HardiePlank, etc. are great suggestions as well!

Proposals for man-cave accoutrement duly noted! :thumbsup:
I wasn't necessarily think of that unless it would be an easy and relatively inexpensive option. Any timber that will survive the weather without paint would do. I agree with Nortoon. I'd have thought oak would have been expensive. I also have no idea how weather proof it is. I fear I'm no expert.
 
Don’t forget to coat the ends of treated lumber when cutting to size for best results. A ceiling fan is also nice.
 
I dislike vinyl siding for the same reasons you stated Stichill. My house is aluminum sided, but I don't think you can even get it any longer. My house is brown, and when I extended my kitchen out the rear, brown was no longer available. We had to purchase white and have an auto body shop paint it! It was a cuss to even find the white.

What about engineered wood siding? Handles heat and cold better than wood so it won't warp, is termite and insect resistant, waterproof, and it's a green product since most of the contents are recycled.
 
Some suggestions.
- think about utilities (water, computer, phone, sewer)
- rough in the plumbing for a bathroom. Doesn't cost much, and you've got if you want it in the future.
- have plastic sheathing installed before they pour the floor. Keeps moisture from coming up.
- locate all the utilities in one spot. Makes for a clean installation and allows you better use of space.
- scissor trusses. Best thing I did! Opens up the space, allows more useable head room, and doesn't cost that much more to do. You can install floor trusses and have a loft for storage.

Here's a pic of the barn/shop I built in 1992. The barn measures 40' x 48' x 10'.

 
Thread starter
Great tips, guys! Guaza14: never heard of coating the ends of treated lumber...great! Ceiling fan, also great!

ClassicVW: my house is aluminum sided too! It's light yellow, done in the '70s, still looks almost new.

Razor: excellent idea on the vapor barrier under the concrete. I am going to be reworking my septic laterals this year, and the settling tank is close to the site for the new garage...plumbing in a toiler and sink drain would be feasible. I could run a water line out there at a later date if I decided to install a half bath. I will be bringing ethernet to wifi and 240V electric. Our phone is VoIP as are my cell calls when I'm on wifi.

Hadn't heard of scissor trusses...will check them out! Thanks!
 
Back
Top