Motorcycle doesn't start, high oil temperature indicator comes on

Saarang_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
I recently had my bike serviced at a honda dealership and the oil is brand new. After the service, I put on about 50 miles or so. Then it was in the garage for 10 days. I tried to start the engine yesterday and it refused to do so. The high oil indicator light comes on and I get a whine.

I tried to start it multiple times but same result.

Can anyone suggest some troubleshooting tips please?

Thanks.
 
Questions first.. What year is bike? How old is the battery? Have you checked the battery connections? Kill switch is in run position? side stand is up? Is it in neutral? Is this the first time there have been any starting issues or symptoms?
 
Confirm high engine oil temp on speedo, not low oil pressure on tach?

The warning lights on the lower portion of the speedometer, from left to right, are:
CEL (orange)
Neutral (green)
Hi beam (blue)
Engine oil temp hi (red)

The warning light on the lower portion of the tachometer is
Low oil pressure (red)

What is your battery voltage (a) key off, (b) key on, © pressing start button?
 
saarang since the bike ran ok before it was stored for some days i would check the engine oil temperature sensor connector for good connections, it lives on the back of the cylinders in the middle below the cam chain tensioner.
first thing to check is pushing the connector onto the sensor, if it clicks "home" you have likely found the answer, if it is put on properly it may be worth pulling it off and see if the contacts are ok and in place.
these are small pins so be careful.
also switch the bike on with the connector unplugged and see if the eot light is still on.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Questions first.. What year is bike? How old is the battery? Have you checked the battery connections? Kill switch is in run position? side stand is up? Is it in neutral? Is this the first time there have been any starting issues or symptoms?
It is a 2013 model. Not sure how old the battery is, I bought it last year. During the service they said that battery was fine. The bike used to start without a problem until recently. This is the first time I have encountered any issues with the bike.
 
Do you have a voltmeter?

If so, what is your battery voltage (a) key off, (b) key on, © pressing start button?

Confirm light Engine oil temp hi (red), bottom right of speedo, not the warning light on the lower portion of the tachometer for Low oil pressure (red), which is normally on with key, but engine not running.
 
Thread starter
SportsterDoc_imp said:
Confirm high engine oil temp on speedo, not low oil pressure on tach?

The warning lights on the lower portion of the speedometer, from left to right, are:
CEL (orange)
Neutral (green)
Hi beam (blue)
Engine oil temp hi (red)

The warning light on the lower portion of the tachometer is
Low oil pressure (red)

What is your battery voltage (a) key off, (b) key on, © pressing start button?
So when I turn the key to the on position, the high engine oil temperature indicator lights up. Then when I turn the kill switch to the run position, the indicator goes off. I press the start button and the I hear a low whine and nothing happens.
SportsterDoc_imp said:
Do you have a voltmeter?

If so, what is your battery voltage (a) key off, (b) key on, © pressing start button?

Confirm light Engine oil temp hi (red), bottom right of speedo, not the warning light on the lower portion of the tachometer for Low oil pressure (red), which is normally on with key, but engine not running.
That is right. Per the owners manual, it is the engine oil temp high (red) indicator is on which looks like a gas pump nozzle with a thermometer on top of it.
 
You need a new battery.
 
Thread starter
max_imp said:
saarang since the bike ran ok before it was stored for some days i would check the engine oil temperature sensor connector for good connections, it lives on the back of the cylinders in the middle below the cam chain tensioner.
first thing to check is pushing the connector onto the sensor, if it clicks "home" you have likely found the answer, if it is put on properly it may be worth pulling it off and see if the contacts are ok and in place.
these are small pins so be careful.
also switch the bike on with the connector unplugged and see if the eot light is still on.
Thank you for your suggestion. I am not sure if I am technical enough to find the oil temperature sensor connector. But I will try when I get home from work tonight.

The one change that happened recently (2 weeks ago when I serviced the bike) was that I connected the battery tender to the battery so that I could connect a USB cable to it to charge my mobile phone while riding. I don't know if that is what is causing this issue.
 
If the cables are not tight at the battery it could be your problem, but you have a classic indication of needing a new battery.

If you can use a meter (DVOM) do what Sportsterdoc asked in post 6 and the answer will be revealed.
 
Saarang_imp said:
SportsterDoc_imp said:
Confirm high engine oil temp on speedo, not low oil pressure on tach?

The warning lights on the lower portion of the speedometer, from left to right, are:
CEL (orange)
Neutral (green)
Hi beam (blue)
Engine oil temp hi (red)

The warning light on the lower portion of the tachometer is
Low oil pressure (red)

What is your battery voltage (a) key off, (b) key on, © pressing start button?
So when I turn the key to the on position, the high engine oil temperature indicator lights up. Then when I turn the kill switch to the run position, the indicator goes off. I press the start button and the I hear a low whine and nothing happens.
SportsterDoc_imp said:
Do you have a voltmeter?

If so, what is your battery voltage (a) key off, (b) key on, © pressing start button?

Confirm light Engine oil temp hi (red), bottom right of speedo, not the warning light on the lower portion of the tachometer for Low oil pressure (red), which is normally on with key, but engine not running.
That is right. Per the owners manual, it is the engine oil temp high (red) indicator is on which looks like a gas pump nozzle with a thermometer on top of it.
On my 2014 standard, turning the key on illuminates the hi EOT indicator for a second or two, whether stop/run is off or on.
Saarang_imp said:
Let me check the battery voltage tonight.

Thanks for your suggestions.
Good, most likely battery, unless cable connections are not secure.
Best to first check cable connections to be wrench tight.
 
Thread starter
It was the battery. I charged it and was able to start the bike.

Thank you all for your inputs and suggestions.
 
Saaarang.. Good deal. You will probably need a replacement. Once these batteries go, they are just gone.
 
Saarang_imp said:
It was the battery. I charged it and was able to start the bike.

Thank you all for your inputs and suggestions.
Saarang, it wasn't clear from your earlier post, but you should consider connecting your bike to the battery tender whenever it's not in use, not just when you need to charge the battery. This is what they're designed for. Really, until your battery ultimately dies, keeping it on the tender will general ensure it's always charged and ready when you are.
 
I went to start my bike the other day after installing the POD. Nope.

Original battery, 2014 leftover. Dealer had it on a charger which gives me a preinstalled tender plug zip tied to the frame- but chemical reactions only last soo long.

I plugged it into the tender and rode it 2 days ago- fired right up. Left it unplugged since and will try to go on a ride tonight and see what happens.

I won't be mad if I get stranded- old battery and I've added the power commander box, autotune box, and now the pod module. I'm not sure what draw they have when 'off' but I'd guess it isn't zero.

Leaving it unplugged for a couple days will let me know now. Or maybe later tonight when I get stranded somewhere on our group ride. ;)
 
When my 2014 standard came out of the crate, last November, the battery did not pass a load test, so the dealer put in a new one.

Be interesting to know the battery voltage before you try to start it.
 
Back
Top