Motorcycle Commuting Finally Pays Off!

Gone in 60

Road warrior
Thread starter
Well, motorcycle commuting has finally paid me the best benefit possible. Reduced commute times, better fuel economy and retention of sanity from not sitting in traffic? Happy wife because I don't want to throw something when I get home from work? A clear mind? The ability to park indoors, in my shop, away from the ravages of the homeless who hove around our back alley?

Yeah, all of those things are fine, I guess.

But, for years, I have been working in a semi-private work area in my office, when I'm not in the shop out back. I have a partition, and when I change into and out of my riding gear, I'm not fully exposing myself to others in the office. But, I haven't been too careful about it. Heck, you work with people for almost 20 years, they're gonna see something from time to time.

I didn't realize how much of an issue this apparently was...

The boss man decided to work from home from now on. So, my coworkers got together and collectively decided that I should get his private office, so that I can shut the door and change in private.

I just finished outfitting it to my needs. I've got room for a changing couch, a cabinet to hold my gear, and a helmet table. There's a TV to watch important industry news (or cartoons).

Still more floor space. If a project bike can fit through the door... maybe...
 
For me it pays off in the form of extremely reduced insurance costs, but from what I know about SoCal that's not true for you.

My changing room is a 5'x4' powder room in the back of the office. They do keep telling me i should park my bike in the breezeway but i swear the other businesses in this building are going to have a fit about that.
 
Thread starter
Yeah, no real insurance breaks here for riding. Luckily, the CB isn't classified as a sporty bike where I live by USAA, so it's not a killer on cost. Funny you should mention other businesses complaining about your parking arrangements. We've been in a years-long turf war with our neighboring business over parking. Putting my bike inside my shop keeps me out of the battle.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
Well, motorcycle commuting has finally paid me the best benefit possible. Reduced commute times, better fuel economy and retention of sanity from not sitting in traffic? Happy wife because I don't want to throw something when I get home from work? A clear mind? The ability to park indoors, in my shop, away from the ravages of the homeless who hove around our back alley?

Yeah, all of those things are fine, I guess.

But, for years, I have been working in a semi-private work area in my office, when I'm not in the shop out back. I have a partition, and when I change into and out of my riding gear, I'm not fully exposing myself to others in the office. But, I haven't been too careful about it. Heck, you work with people for almost 20 years, they're gonna see something from time to time.

I didn't realize how much of an issue this apparently was...

The boss man decided to work from home from now on. So, my coworkers got together and collectively decided that I should get his private office, so that I can shut the door and change in private.

I just finished outfitting it to my needs. I've got room for a changing couch, a cabinet to hold my gear, and a helmet table. There's a TV to watch important industry news (or cartoons).

Still more floor space. If a project bike can fit through the door... maybe...
Congratulations!

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
Well, motorcycle commuting has finally paid me the best benefit possible. Reduced commute times, better fuel economy and retention of sanity from not sitting in traffic? Happy wife because I don't want to throw something when I get home from work? A clear mind? The ability to park indoors, in my shop, away from the ravages of the homeless who hove around our back alley?

Yeah, all of those things are fine, I guess.

But, for years, I have been working in a semi-private work area in my office, when I'm not in the shop out back. I have a partition, and when I change into and out of my riding gear, I'm not fully exposing myself to others in the office. But, I haven't been too careful about it. Heck, you work with people for almost 20 years, they're gonna see something from time to time.

I didn't realize how much of an issue this apparently was...

The boss man decided to work from home from now on. So, my coworkers got together and collectively decided that I should get his private office, so that I can shut the door and change in private.

I just finished outfitting it to my needs. I've got room for a changing couch, a cabinet to hold my gear, and a helmet table. There's a TV to watch important industry news (or cartoons).

Still more floor space. If a project bike can fit through the door... maybe...
:thumbsup:

That certainly beats suiting up and down in the urine-soaked corporate washrooms.
 
Well played, Gone.
 
Thread starter
The blinds work, but the office is pretty dark when they are pulled. There are two large West-facing windows that are one-way glass, but I guess you could see in if it were dark outside and the lights are on. But, I've been changing clothes that way for years, so this would be nothing new.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
Well, motorcycle commuting has finally paid me the best benefit possible. Reduced commute times, better fuel economy and retention of sanity from not sitting in traffic? Happy wife because I don't want to throw something when I get home from work? A clear mind? The ability to park indoors, in my shop, away from the ravages of the homeless who hove around our back alley?

Yeah, all of those things are fine, I guess.

But, for years, I have been working in a semi-private work area in my office, when I'm not in the shop out back. I have a partition, and when I change into and out of my riding gear, I'm not fully exposing myself to others in the office. But, I haven't been too careful about it. Heck, you work with people for almost 20 years, they're gonna see something from time to time.

I didn't realize how much of an issue this apparently was...

The boss man decided to work from home from now on. So, my coworkers got together and collectively decided that I should get his private office, so that I can shut the door and change in private.

I just finished outfitting it to my needs. I've got room for a changing couch, a cabinet to hold my gear, and a helmet table. There's a TV to watch important industry news (or cartoons).

Still more floor space. If a project bike can fit through the door... maybe...
Wasn’t the cabinet over by the window previously? I could swear when several of us were down there looking for the keys to your precious, that’s where it was.
 
Thread starter
So that was you? Creepy black van, guy inside looking through binoculars?
 
When I do ride to work on Wednesdays, I like to park the bike where it will be in the shade in the afternoons. Sometimes it's easy, sometimes not. At one gig, I had to arrive somewhat early to get the right spot before a coworker got it.
 
Back
Top