MotoGP & Rossi

Phadreus_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Gents,

Not sure how many of you follow MotoGP racing, I've watched every race since 2000 and became a die hard fan of Valentino Rossi over that time. This is his final season, sad to see him retire. He has not performed well at all in his final year...really since the end of last season. It's been hard to see, watching arguably one of the world's greatest Motorcycle racers decline in performance over the last several years.

During the Austrian GP of 2020, he had a very close call that could have been the end for him. He has not been competitive since, and I believe the incident was the cause of his rapid decline in performance. Not sure if any of you witnessed the event, it was a terrifying close call.

Austrian GP Accident

I've seen many riders suffer in a serious accident and lose their competitive edge never to regain it. This case, Rossi was not injured, at least physically, but the mental toll sure seems real to me. :-/

Anybody else follow MotGP here?
 
I have been following the GP since the mid sixties when living in Holland and going to the Dutch TT for the very first time in 1965. I have met many GP racers over the years including my favorites Wil Hartog and Jim Redman .
 
Thread starter
Houtman_imp said:
I have been following the GP since the mid sixties when living in Holland and going to the Dutch TT for the very first time in 1965. I have met many GP racers over the years including my favorites Wil Hartog and Jim Redman .
I've been to too many Motorcycle races to count in America, including every one they raced at Indy, "The Brickyard". Haven't made it to COTA or Laguna Seca yet, definitely on the bucket list. Have to get those in before they drop from Moto GP schedule due to costs.

I wish I would have been aware of this racing during their 2 Stroke days. Those bikes looked like a handful to tame.
 
Phadreus, a number of us follow MotoGP—Ferret, redbirds and, of course, Houtman immediately come to mind. Once there was a regular threads discussing the race, but they lapsed due to lack of interest.

That was a terrible accident. It amazed me at the time—and still does—that no-one was killed or badly injured in it. I'd not have been surprised if Rossi had given-up racing after that. How many near misses like that can one expect to survive?

While I've not ever been a big Rossi fan, his contribution to the sport is undeniable and extensive. He also has great character and a certain flamboyance that will be missed. In my view, it's a pity he didn't retire a couple of years ago at the top of his game, but perhaps that's only easy to say with the benefit of hindsight.
 
I've been follow GP since 1973, and watch every practice, qualifying and race with my Dorna GP package. Used to watch it on TV on some Spanish Channel before that, Wild World of Sports before that and prior to that had to just read it in Cycle News and the monthly mc rags lol.

I was dissapointed that Rossi lost the 2006 Championship, but Hayden won and he was a really nice guy, so that was a good consolation. I was also disappointed that Pedrosa never won a Championship. Great rider, great sportsman, nice guy. Rossi really hasn't been competitive for a few years now, but usually has at least has a podium or 2. This year it has been sad watching him flounder around in the bottom 2 or 3. It became obvious 5 years ago Rossi was not going to win another Championship. I'm glad he finally decided to retire, not because I am not a fan of his, but because I am a fan of his.

Things aren't going to be as easy for Marquez going forward either. There is a great group of youngster coming along that have tasted victory in his absence, and believe in themselves and in the fact that even a healthy Marquez can be beaten. ( although not at a few tracks lol)
 
c95c5cb588932be77332ce887dc95324.jpg



In 1977 Wil Hartog won the 500 cc Dutch TT on a private Suzuki RG 500 , for me that was one of the best things in my life ! I was there with many of my friends to see this.
In 2013 I went to visit Wil Hartog's museum in his home town and was able to sit on the bike which won the TT 33 years previous with Wil standing next to me . I would have never dreamed of this in 1977.
 
Cool pic and memory Houtman.
 
Been watching motorcycle racing for years, be it MotoGp or USA racing, and I think Valentino Rossi is simply the best racer of the last 30 years, if not ever. What other racer can be red-flagged, and given a penalty of one entire lap, and still come back and not just podium, but win the race. No other rider that I know of has ever done so. No other rider has ever ridden that fast to beat all those other experts by basically an entire lap of a MotoGp race. It is sad to see him go, but in his prime, no other rider, ever could beat him day in and out, period.
 
I too have watched MotoGP since 2005 and been to several of the races in Laguna and the first at COTA. I've followed Vale and Yamaha boys since then and was a huge Vale fan.
I think his demise began when he switched to Ducati in 2010 and then the unfortunate incident in Sepang the next year. I truly believe that's when he lost the edge to compete and dominate like he did before. After the crash that he was involved in that killed Marco, he's gone on to win 10 races in 10 years. Those are not Vale type numbers and nary a championship in that time.
I'm glad he's retiring. He's not helping anybody by being a back marker and struggling to get in the points. MotoGP will go on though will look different without that #46 in the paddock since 1995.
 
I have also been a huge fan of motorcycle racing I would say since the late 70's. Always follow MotoGP and WorldSBK, and have had the privilege of getting to know a number of the racers as well as other people involved in the sport over the years. For sure I was a fan of Rossi ever since he started in 125 all those years ago, and there are so many other riders that I am a fan of as well (like most of them!). Michael1954, I am not sure what race you are referring to with Rossi being penalized by a lap, but I was in Philip Island at the race where he received a 10 second penalty during the race, and so upped his pace in order to win with over 10 seconds ahead of the second rider.

For sure he should have called it quits a bit sooner, and I think he really only decided to ride in 2021 as well because he hoped to end his career without Covid keeping the fans from the track. Unfortunately that we not the case in the end.
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
Phadreus, a number of us follow MotoGP—Ferret, redbirds and, of course, Houtman immediately come to mind. Once there was a regular threads discussing the race, but they lapsed due to lack of interest.

That was a terrible accident. It amazed me at the time—and still does—that no-one was killed or badly injured in it. I'd not have been surprised if Rossi had given-up racing after that. How many near misses like that can one expect to survive?

While I've not ever been a big Rossi fan, his contribution to the sport is undeniable and extensive. He also has great character and a certain flamboyance that will be missed. In my view, it's a pity he didn't retire a couple of years ago at the top of his game, but perhaps that's only easy to say with the benefit of hindsight.
I agree, Rossi should have hung up his helmet at least two years ago. He said over and over, "As long as I'm competitive, I'll continue racing." I guess how he defined competitive changed over time. Going from such a long period of being on the box nearly every race to commonly fighting for top 5, then top ten, then where he is now, in the final three to five to cross the line each race has to be painful for him. Guess it was hard to close the book on a 25 year career for him. ;)
One of my favorite memories of a MotoGP race was during the 2010 Redbull GP in Indy. Wifey and I were hanging out right across from Rossi's pit booth. He came out to mount up for Practice and my wife whistled and yelled his name. She was wearing a highlighter yellow shirt that said "The Nurse" on the front of it. She actually caught his attention and he looked up at her, flipped his visor up and blew her a kiss. I figured for sure I was going home by myself after that. Made her day for sure. After that, she couldn't see anybody else on the track.

A couple of hours after that, we were walking around the infield and I lost track of her while I was walking around the Honda tent. When I finally found her, she was in the middle of a group of guys having her picture taken. She said they thought her shirt was the coolest thing ever. Wish I had a picture of that day.

Anyway, here is my better half:

Sparky80_imp said:
I too have watched MotoGP since 2005 and been to several of the races in Laguna and the first at COTA. I've followed Vale and Yamaha boys since then and was a huge Vale fan.
I think his demise began when he switched to Ducati in 2010 and then the unfortunate incident in Sepang the next year. I truly believe that's when he lost the edge to compete and dominate like he did before. After the crash that he was involved in that killed Marco, he's gone on to win 10 races in 10 years. Those are not Vale type numbers and nary a championship in that time.
I'm glad he's retiring. He's not helping anybody by being a back marker and struggling to get in the points. MotoGP will go on though will look different without that #46 in the paddock since 1995.
Those events did seem like a huge impact on him, especially his leg injury. I heard him talk about his accident with Marco, I did not realize at the time how close of a friendship they had shared before the accident. I can't even imagine what Rossi went through afterwards. :(
 
I've just been watching regularly the last couple of years since NBCSN on my cable provider shows it.

I love seeing them come sliding into those corners sometimes with the rear wheel off the ground!

I thought the Yamaha's were going to walk away with it this year.

It's interesting how the Ducati's can out accelerate them all on the straights.

Glad to see Marc Márquez representing for Honda again!
 
Yes, offroad, on the subject of Sēnor Marquez, me too. I hope he is able to make a complete comeback from that nasty injury.
 
Thread starter
I've been hoping for a good showing for Dovi since he came back with Patronas Yamaha late this season. The guy has talent and keeps a cool head on track, not exactly sure why it's just never come together for him in the championship. He sure looked good with Ducati for a while, have some great showings. Anyone hear what caused his rift with Ducati causing him to leave? I don't think I ever heard what the source of it was.
 
For anyone interested in Road Racing I recommend that you take out a subscription to " RoadRacing World & Motorcycle Technology a great monthly magazine for about $ 20 a year.
 
Houtman_imp said:
For anyone interested in Road Racing I recommend that you take out a subscription to " RoadRacing World & Motorcycle Technology a great monthly magazine for about $ 20 a year.
Great tip, thanks!

Just ordered mine!
 
offroadfx4_imp said:
Houtman_imp said:
For anyone interested in Road Racing I recommend that you take out a subscription to " RoadRacing World & Motorcycle Technology a great monthly magazine for about $ 20 a year.
Great tip, thanks!

Just ordered mine!
Great tip, thanks!

Just ordered mine!
That is great ! , another $ 10 "sign up a friend " bonus coming to me ........ I finally found a Forum what makes me money.....
 
Thread starter
Houtman_imp said:
For anyone interested in Road Racing I recommend that you take out a subscription to " RoadRacing World & Motorcycle Technology a great monthly magazine for about $ 20 a year.
I used to pickup this rag for over ten years, and just stopped for some reason. Great read for sure. Signed up for three years digital. Now I won't have them stacking up on my bookshelves. :D

Thx for the reminder on this Houtman, good stuff! :cool:
 
Phadreus_imp said:
Houtman_imp said:
For anyone interested in Road Racing I recommend that you take out a subscription to " RoadRacing World & Motorcycle Technology a great monthly magazine for about $ 20 a year.
I used to pickup this rag for over ten years, and just stopped for some reason. Great read for sure. Signed up for three years digital. Now I won't have them stacking up on my bookshelves. :D

Thx for the reminder on this Houtman, good stuff! :cool:
I used to pickup this rag for over ten years, and just stopped for some reason. Great read for sure. Signed up for three years digital. Now I won't have them stacking up on my bookshelves. :D

Thx for the reminder on this Houtman, good stuff! :cool:
I still love to have a magazine in my hands ! I get many from the UK .
 
Thread starter
Houtman_imp said:
Phadreus_imp said:
Houtman_imp said:
For anyone interested in Road Racing I recommend that you take out a subscription to " RoadRacing World & Motorcycle Technology a great monthly magazine for about $ 20 a year.
I used to pickup this rag for over ten years, and just stopped for some reason. Great read for sure. Signed up for three years digital. Now I won't have them stacking up on my bookshelves. :D

Thx for the reminder on this Houtman, good stuff! :cool:
I used to pickup this rag for over ten years, and just stopped for some reason. Great read for sure. Signed up for three years digital. Now I won't have them stacking up on my bookshelves. :D

Thx for the reminder on this Houtman, good stuff! :cool:
I still love to have a magazine in my hands ! I get many from the UK .
Admittedly, there is a certain romantic appeal to me having a hard copy in my hands to read, but I've gotten to the point with Magazines where it pains me to see them thrown away so I end up holding onto them for far too long so I'm starting to consume magazines in digital form now. Look at me saving the planet's natural resources. LOL
 
Back
Top