MotoAmerica finally gets it.

Ulvetanna_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
Wayne finally realized they needed a real CEO. It's all about marketing. Smart guy. He knows his limitations.

COSTA MESA, CA (January 4, 2018) – MotoAmerica has hired entertainment and media marketing executive Alec Marshall, formerly of Apple (AAPL), Roku (ROKU), and Avid (AVID), to help the series execute a vision of motorsports for new audiences and a new millennium as the California-based motorcycle racing organization’s Chief Marketing Officer.

“We’ve created one of the most exciting racing series in motorsports history, and we’re thrilled to bring Alec Marshall in to help shape it for new audiences and a whole new sports landscape,” said three-time 500cc World Champion and MotoAmerica President Wayne Rainey. “Alec has a history of bringing new media stories to market, and MotoAmerica is poised to be right at the front of this shift in sports.”
 
I have been watching MOTO AMERICA since their start and I think that every year it is getting better.
Love to see Wayne doing great things for racing in the USA.
 
Thread starter
Houtman_imp said:
I have been watching MOTO AMERICA since their start and I think that every year it is getting better.
Love to see Wayne doing great things for racing in the USA.
Absolutely. They focused so much on the technical side of things for the first few years; now it's time to focus on selling the sport to the public. Read this recently:



Thinking Outside the (Pit) Box
 
For road race fans I would recommend having BEIN Sport , they show all Moto GP , SBK and Moto America races.
The UK Superbike races can also been seen on of the NBC channels, they are really exciting races as well.
 
A lot of exciting things happening in MotoAmerica 2018 indeed !!

- Garrett Gerloff moves to SBK category

- Creation of the Stock 1000 category where there will be a lot of fights

- JD Beach and Debise will rub each other the wrong way
 
Thread starter
F800GT_imp said:
A lot of exciting things happening in MotoAmerica 2018 indeed !!

- Garrett Gerloff moves to SBK category

- Creation of the Stock 1000 category where there will be a lot of fights

- JD Beach and Debise will rub each other the wrong way
Great stuff, thanks.:hello:
 
Don't know as much about racing as a lot of you guys and only started to check it out in the last few years. So, feel free to discount my comments.

However, the Superbike classes have sort of bored me a bit. I wanted it to be great and see really competitive motorsport.
But, the same 3 or 4 guys were in contention each week and they just ran away from the rest of the pack. Usually only two brands are competitive per circuit. In World SBK it was Kawasaki and Ducati. MotoAmerica was Suzuki and Yamaha. So, if you're a Honda fan you just got used being an also ran. Stock 1000 might be a good way to judge who makes the best superbike, but maybe not so fun to watch since it'll mostly be the newest bike with the latest cool bits that wins.

It's hard to match the product that MotoGP puts out there and works-style racing is certainly hugely expensive. But somehow they've managed to make it really competitive. 2017 was tight and in 2016 they had something like 8 different guys win races.

Just my $.02 and sorry to be the downer.
 
Thread starter
DAC_imp said:
Don't know as much about racing as a lot of you guys and only started to check it out in the last few years. So, feel free to discount my comments.

However, the Superbike classes have sort of bored me a bit. I wanted it to be great and see really competitive motorsport.
But, the same 3 or 4 guys were in contention each week and they just ran away from the rest of the pack. Usually only two brands are competitive per circuit. In World SBK it was Kawasaki and Ducati. MotoAmerica was Suzuki and Yamaha. So, if you're a Honda fan you just got used being an also ran. Stock 1000 might be a good way to judge who makes the best superbike, but maybe not so fun to watch since it'll mostly be the newest bike with the latest cool bits that wins.

It's hard to match the product that MotoGP puts out there and works-style racing is certainly hugely expensive. But somehow they've managed to make it really competitive. 2017 was tight and in 2016 they had something like 8 different guys win races.

Just my $.02 and sorry to be the downer.
Nah, I have felt that WSBK looks a lot like a bad track day. MotoAmerica also. The premier class in MGP is just so far ahead of everyone else in terms of skill. It's not really the equipment as the WSBK bikes have way more tech allowed, at least last time I checked. Although the starting point, a street bike, is not really a purpose built racing machine.

What is quite surprising is how the Kawasaki dominates the class thus far; the chassis is quite a bit more flexible than the others, especially the Aprilia. But that works in WSBK. My 2015 is very "plush" to be honest, compared to any other open-class super bike. Tuned flex for sure.
 
Houtman_imp said:
For road race fans I would recommend having BEIN Sport , they show all Moto GP , SBK and Moto America races.
The UK Superbike races can also been seen on of the NBC channels, they are really exciting races as well.

I've never heard of this. where would I watch it at? TV, Internet, what?
 
BEin sports is a Spanish paid subscriber channel on Direct TV sattelite

I pay $15 a month for the channel just to watch MotoGP for 8 months of the year lol

I don't even watch the Moto 2, Moto 3, WSBK or Moto America Races. Not a big fan of those series.
 
Ulvetanna_imp said:
Houtman_imp said:
I have been watching MOTO AMERICA since their start and I think that every year it is getting better.
Love to see Wayne doing great things for racing in the USA.
Absolutely. They focused so much on the technical side of things for the first few years; now it's time to focus on selling the sport to the public. Read this recently:



Thinking Outside the (Pit) Box

I will freely admit that I'm quite neutral on the issue of motorcycle racing as a spectator sport.

I am however convinced that popularity (or lack thereof) of motorcycle racing has little to do with the sliding interest in motorcycle riding and motorcycle sales. Racing is (or is, but not sufficiently) interesting to those that already ride, but I don't see how watching races would entice someone to learn to ride and buy a motorcycle.

What (and I've stated this before on this forum) is missing in US (and probably in Britain, where the article originates) is the wide use of motorcycles for transportation. Yet there is no real effort on the part of manufacturers to return this market segment to any level of health - primarily in North America (*), but to some extent in western Europe too.

So, with apology, let me (again) suggest that legalizing lane splitting continent-wide is a very sensible first step of that effort.

Next (or rather, at the same time) would be developing better and at the same time less costly ways to obtain not only the motorcycle class license but the level of skill more in tune with today's transportation infrastructure conditions. The skill level required of new licensee in most North American jurisdictions is adequate for leisurely cruising country roads, but it is completely inadequate to send a young rider in suburban commuter traffic.

(*) 2/3rds of Canada is forgiven on account of climate :)
 
All 3 races of the MotoGP series are a blast to watch. I think the Moto3 race is by far the most exciting. Will be in Austin again this year. Plan on attending MotoAmerica at Road Atlanta and Barber as well. What I like about MotoAmerica is that you get access to the riders and they are happy to talk with you. MotoGP is just a circus.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
 
Quote:Next (or rather, at the same time) would be developing better and at the same time less costly ways to obtain not only the motorcycle class license but the level of skill more in tune with today's transportation infrastructure conditions. The skill level required of new licensee in most North American jurisdictions is adequate for leisurely cruising country roads, but it is completely inadequate to send a young rider in suburban commuter traffic.
I strongly agree with a need for updated, relevant training for those getting licensed. I would even go so far as to argue for continuing education to maintain a license. Everyone could use a refresher at some point and, like you mentioned, infrastructure and equipment change over time.

This shouldn't apply exclusively to MC riders.....too many drivers simply don't understand the magnitude of the kinetic energy they are piloting with their non-texting hand. States give away drivers licenses too freely considering the amount of actual training required.

To share a statement recently overheard by my wife:

"I failed my dmv test.... one of the questions i missed was about motorcycles when they are in your lane. I don't think they should be able to do that.... they shouldn't even be on a motorcycle. These roads are dangerous. Anyway, the question was about what to do when a motorcycle is in your lane, but i don't drive a motorcycle, so why should i need to know that?"

More education across the board (riders and drivers) would bolster awareness and empathy that I think is much needed out there on the roads.
 
We get Bein Sports via Roku through Sling TV. About $10 per month last time. $7 the year before. Everybody needs to get their dime!
 
rotor_imp said:
Ulvetanna_imp said:
Houtman_imp said:
I have been watching MOTO AMERICA since their start and I think that every year it is getting better.
Love to see Wayne doing great things for racing in the USA.
Absolutely. They focused so much on the technical side of things for the first few years; now it's time to focus on selling the sport to the public. Read this recently:



Thinking Outside the (Pit) Box

I will freely admit that I'm quite neutral on the issue of motorcycle racing as a spectator sport.

I am however convinced that popularity (or lack thereof) of motorcycle racing has little to do with the sliding interest in motorcycle riding and motorcycle sales. Racing is (or is, but not sufficiently) interesting to those that already ride, but I don't see how watching races would entice someone to learn to ride and buy a motorcycle.

What (and I've stated this before on this forum) is missing in US (and probably in Britain, where the article originates) is the wide use of motorcycles for transportation. Yet there is no real effort on the part of manufacturers to return this market segment to any level of health - primarily in North America (*), but to some extent in western Europe too.

So, with apology, let me (again) suggest that legalizing lane splitting continent-wide is a very sensible first step of that effort.

Next (or rather, at the same time) would be developing better and at the same time less costly ways to obtain not only the motorcycle class license but the level of skill more in tune with today's transportation infrastructure conditions. The skill level required of new licensee in most North American jurisdictions is adequate for leisurely cruising country roads, but it is completely inadequate to send a young rider in suburban commuter traffic.

(*) 2/3rds of Canada is forgiven on account of climate :)

Ain’t that the truth? In Australia, regulators, in their obsession with safety, are making it harder and harder to get a motorcycle licence. Some of the changes—for example, requirements for practical training and a more sophisticated on road test—are sensible. However, in Queensland a person is now required to have held at least a provisional licence for ‘another class’ of vehicle (read car) for at least 12 months before they can get any form of licence to ride a motorcycle. How does a young person with limited resources now get access to a much cheaper form of transport than a car, particularly given how onerous it is to get the car licence in the first place.

The world’s gone mad.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
rotor_imp said:
Ulvetanna_imp said:
Houtman_imp said:
I have been watching MOTO AMERICA since their start and I think that every year it is getting better.
Love to see Wayne doing great things for racing in the USA.
Absolutely. They focused so much on the technical side of things for the first few years; now it's time to focus on selling the sport to the public. Read this recently:



Thinking Outside the (Pit) Box

I will freely admit that I'm quite neutral on the issue of motorcycle racing as a spectator sport.

I am however convinced that popularity (or lack thereof) of motorcycle racing has little to do with the sliding interest in motorcycle riding and motorcycle sales. Racing is (or is, but not sufficiently) interesting to those that already ride, but I don't see how watching races would entice someone to learn to ride and buy a motorcycle.

What (and I've stated this before on this forum) is missing in US (and probably in Britain, where the article originates) is the wide use of motorcycles for transportation. Yet there is no real effort on the part of manufacturers to return this market segment to any level of health - primarily in North America (*), but to some extent in western Europe too.

So, with apology, let me (again) suggest that legalizing lane splitting continent-wide is a very sensible first step of that effort.

Next (or rather, at the same time) would be developing better and at the same time less costly ways to obtain not only the motorcycle class license but the level of skill more in tune with today's transportation infrastructure conditions. The skill level required of new licensee in most North American jurisdictions is adequate for leisurely cruising country roads, but it is completely inadequate to send a young rider in suburban commuter traffic.

(*) 2/3rds of Canada is forgiven on account of climate :)

Ain’t that the truth? In Australia, regulators, in their obsession with safety, are making it harder and harder to get a motorcycle licence. Some of the changes—for example, requirements for practical training and a more sophisticated on road test—are sensible. However, in Queensland a person is now required to have held at least a provisional licence for ‘another class’ of vehicle (read car) for at least 12 months before they can get any form of licence to ride a motorcycle. How does a young person with limited resources now get access to a much cheaper form of transport than a car, particularly given how onerous it is to get the car licence in the first place.

The world’s gone mad.
The thinking there is not unusual for the current generation of "western regulators": the simplest thing to improve statistics is to reduce the number of participants, which will reduce the number of accidents. That they have not done anything to reduce (in this case) the number of accidents per kilometer traveled is to them of no particular consequence.
 
I think improved rider training would go a long way to improving accident statistics, but even more important in my view would be a ban or rollback of technology now appearing in cars (infotainment consoles, texting, etc.) -- stuff that creates visual and cognitive distractions for drivers. For example, to turn up the heat in my 2014 Nissan, I have to take my eyes off the road, glance down to the TFT screen, locate the icon for the heat temperature, and slide my finger across the icon until I am satisfied with the setting. There's no tactile feel, and I have to scroll through a menu before the control is even available me. I guess it's what the kids want, but I think it stinks. The heat can't be adjusted by "feel."
 
LongRanger_imp said:
I think improved rider training would go a long way to improving accident statistics, but even more important in my view would be a ban or rollback of technology now appearing in cars (infotainment consoles, texting, etc.) -- stuff that creates visual and cognitive distractions for drivers. For example, to turn up the heat in my 2014 Nissan, I have to take my eyes off the road, glance down to the TFT screen, locate the icon for the heat temperature, and slide my finger across the icon until I am satisfied with the setting. There's no tactile feel, and I have to scroll through a menu before the control is even available me. I guess it's what the kids want, but I think it stinks. The heat can't be adjusted by "feel."
I fully agree with you statement , bought a new 2017 CRV and have been very unhappy with all the stages I have to go through to change anything in the car :heating , fan speed , radio etc. etc.
It was a lot easier on my 2004 CRV which is now my wife's and still running perfect with 175000 miles on it.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
rotor_imp said:
Ulvetanna_imp said:
Houtman_imp said:
I have been watching MOTO AMERICA since their start and I think that every year it is getting better.
Love to see Wayne doing great things for racing in the USA.
Absolutely. They focused so much on the technical side of things for the first few years; now it's time to focus on selling the sport to the public. Read this recently:



Thinking Outside the (Pit) Box

I will freely admit that I'm quite neutral on the issue of motorcycle racing as a spectator sport.

I am however convinced that popularity (or lack thereof) of motorcycle racing has little to do with the sliding interest in motorcycle riding and motorcycle sales. Racing is (or is, but not sufficiently) interesting to those that already ride, but I don't see how watching races would entice someone to learn to ride and buy a motorcycle.

What (and I've stated this before on this forum) is missing in US (and probably in Britain, where the article originates) is the wide use of motorcycles for transportation. Yet there is no real effort on the part of manufacturers to return this market segment to any level of health - primarily in North America (*), but to some extent in western Europe too.

So, with apology, let me (again) suggest that legalizing lane splitting continent-wide is a very sensible first step of that effort.

Next (or rather, at the same time) would be developing better and at the same time less costly ways to obtain not only the motorcycle class license but the level of skill more in tune with today's transportation infrastructure conditions. The skill level required of new licensee in most North American jurisdictions is adequate for leisurely cruising country roads, but it is completely inadequate to send a young rider in suburban commuter traffic.

(*) 2/3rds of Canada is forgiven on account of climate :)

Ain’t that the truth? In Australia, regulators, in their obsession with safety, are making it harder and harder to get a motorcycle licence. Some of the changes—for example, requirements for practical training and a more sophisticated on road test—are sensible. However, in Queensland a person is now required to have held at least a provisional licence for ‘another class’ of vehicle (read car) for at least 12 months before they can get any form of licence to ride a motorcycle. How does a young person with limited resources now get access to a much cheaper form of transport than a car, particularly given how onerous it is to get the car licence in the first place.

The world’s gone mad.
The thinking there is not unusual for the current generation of "western regulators": the simplest thing to improve statistics is to reduce the number of participants, which will reduce the number of accidents. That they have not done anything to reduce (in this case) the number of accidents per kilometer traveled is to them of no particular consequence.
 
Back
Top