MOTO GUZZI V85

Hi Riko - yes it was a V9 2017 model with the revised footpeg mounts and thank you for your condolences. Plenty of known issues with the model that i was unaware of until after i got the bike. Forgot to mention the constant transmission whine in all gears and even on overrun - shame cause i liked the very light weight and styling.
John
 
Hey WK, get an ST1300. Sounds like George Jetson’s car from the gear whine.
 
Thread starter
WK57ABF_imp said:
Hi Riko - yes it was a V9 2017 model with the revised footpeg mounts and thank you for your condolences. Plenty of known issues with the model that i was unaware of until after i got the bike. Forgot to mention the constant transmission whine in all gears and even on overrun - shame cause i liked the very light weight and styling.
John

good to hear that the general feel of the bike is as to be expected from an Italian (light and good handling)

But that gearbox....we are spoiled with our silky smooth japanese bikes.
Luckely I don't have that complaint with my Multi.
I wonder if the gearbox of the V9 and V7 (on wich this V85 is based) are the same?

And those issues are typical for those models? you are not an isolated case?
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Hey WK, get an ST1300. Sounds like George Jetson’s car from the gear whine.
someone that has interested in a Guzzi, because of its lightness I doubt will have interest in a heavy bike..
 
I've owned two Moto Guzzis since 2009, and would probably do just one more IF the factory would build a standard based on the 'big block' 1151 or 1400 engine. Doesn't seem likely.

I thought I'd give Guzzi a try, purchased the bike in this short video in Oct 2009, picked it up in Swanzy New Hampshire in Apr of 2010. and rode her back to Hudson, Ohio.

Some ergonomic issues, which were resolved by installing adjustable foot pegs and a friendlier handlebar from an Aprilia Mana.

A set of Hepco Becker hardbags and a rear rack and a year later, two of us headed West, thru four corners area, north thru Utah, Wyoming, into Montana, then back home.
BTW - my buddy's 650 VStrom performed in stellar fashion!

This particular Guzzi has been 95% trouble-free. It turned 66,000 miles in October.

The Guzzi community locally, and the WildGuzzi forum have added greatly to the pleasure of owning this big, heavy, but ever-pleasant Italian.

Homecoming, April 2010 - New Hampshire to Ohio

A few months after delivery, 2010

Bob
 
I really like this new Guzzi but I've owned a Guzzi before, Breva 1100, and though it was a fine riding bike in most respects, I'll never own another. Electrical issues, swollen, bursting in tank fuel filters, weeping shaft drive seals-no more Guzzis for me.
 
I like the weight of my ST in all but 3 circumstances, all at low or no speed. Backing it out of the garage, and lifting it onto the centerstand or off the sidestand when we are 2 up. Other than that I feel the weight gives it stability when on the road.
 
redbirds_imp said:
I really like this new Guzzi but I've owned a Guzzi before, Breva 1100, and though it was a fine riding bike in most respects, I'll never own another. Electrical issues, swollen, bursting in tank fuel filters, weeping shaft drive seals-no more Guzzis for me.
The potential for my V7 II having the hybrid metal/plastic fuel filter, on which the plastic can burst, was yet anither concern.
 
The crimp on the all-metal OE Mahle fuel filter on my K1200RS failed at 80 mph about 80 miles west of Grand Junction, CO, stranding me on the shoulder of a very lonely and desolate interstate. It pretty much ruined my day. This was several years before anyone carried cell phones.
 
Riko, while the sample size is small it seems fairly obvious that most CB1100 owners hanging out on a CB1100 forum wouldn't really be interested in trading their Japanese retro standards for a big modern dual sport of Italian descent. However, I suspect that before creating such a poll, you were already aware that in this case the only vote that really matters is your own. ;)

Good luck with whatever you end up deciding!
 
Thread starter
heheh thx, that is true

I personally consider myself as fairly open minded and open to all types of bikes :)
But there used to be a time when I was judgemental towards Italians, more specifically their reliability etc.
 
Thread starter
rotor_imp said:
Riko_imp said:
product page:
http://discoverv85.motoguzzi.com/en/

Videos:





Its the first time I'll say this about my CB, I never thought I would, but dang I mean it, if Guzzi decides to produce this thing, I'll be trading my CB (if a testride is as good as the looks)






High quality shocks, big 21L tank, tough looks, shaft drive and 80hp.
Only question, what will the wet weight be if this bike goes into production, lighter than the CB?

What a gorgeous bike!
Looks sharp, but when it comes to my hard-earned money, I have every right to my prejudices. An Italian bike? Only after a few years of independent statistics on the reliability.

I do not consider shaft as an advantage, perhaps au-contraire, but it would not automatically disqualify this bike. However, I would (will?) seriously consider a motorcycle with only half the required number of cylinders if and when I realize there is no I4 around that I am capable of managing the mass of.

Also, what's with the hot pipe on the left side of the bike? Is that some enduro-style abomination I'm not familiar with? OK, there's no chain access to consider, but still - why?
I just went on research, on Paris Dakar bikes.
Looking at one the founding adventure bikes, the R80GS & R100GS, same lay out:

60cd8933bd3ccdd8d9456844dec5abb4.jpg

a36955262fc225e35621fb9ac195b1ed.jpg


So while a proven layout, its undoubtedly also a tribute and homage decision
 
I have no reason to get rid of my trusty 2014 Standard. However, I would love to have a V85 as its stable mate. I think Moto Guzzi has got the look, and possibly the functionality for me, exactly right.
 
I guess I'll be the local Moto Guzzi apologist.

Great bikes, seem to get better every year, I owned my first one in 2013, have a V7II Special now and am lusting after the V7III "Milano" and the new green V9 Roamer.

I have no interest in the V85, not my style.

The only bikes "I've" ridden that give you that real seat of the pants kick / wrist pull when you twist the throttle (torquey). Great fun!

Old school bikes that are bone simple to maintain.
 
I think the choice of motorcycle always has been, and always will be a matter of personal taste, along with a touch of budget thrown in. That said, I personally have never cared for the aesthetics of the Guzzi, going way back to the big tourer Guzzis of the late '60s. I have known several Guzzi owners over the years that lamented over Guzzi fit, finish and reliability issues as well.

For me, the choice was to revisit a modern version of my beloved 1974 CB750 Four, and I suspect many other Forum members are in the same boat on that aspect. Then throw into the mix the fanatical engineering Honda was ahead of the curve with back then, to the extensive development that went into the CB1100. Granted, as with all machines, the CB1100 has had a few hiccups, but I think generally those hiccups have been statistically few. Would I trade in my CB1100 for this new Guzzi, or for that matter, any other new offering of any other brand available at the moment? No, I personally would not, even if it was an even trade. The look of the CB1100 is nostalgic, the feel pleasantly familiar, and I enjoy riding it more than any of the dozen or so bikes I have owned in years since my CB750 Four..
 
I very much liked my V7II: Shaft drive was very smooth and a lot of torque out of only 744 cc.

But I did not trust the reliability of the ECM program, did not like the dry clutch rattle, was concerned about the plastic/metal in-tank fuel filter and came to despise the new dealership owner.
 
On top of SportsterDoc's concerns, my '10 V7CC and '11 V7C both had plastic fuel tanks which bulged from the Ethanol in the gas and were way beyond warranty. The only fix was to replace them with new plastic tanks (the metal tanks of the later V7's weren't a turnkey replacement) which would have come out of my pocket. No thanks. My dealer stunk too.
 
2017EX_imp said:
I think the choice of motorcycle always has been, and always will be a matter of personal taste, along with a touch of budget thrown in. That said, I personally have never cared for the aesthetics of the Guzzi, going way back to the big tourer Guzzis of the late '60s. I have known several Guzzi owners over the years that lamented over Guzzi fit, finish and reliability issues as well.

For me, the choice was to revisit a modern version of my beloved 1974 CB750 Four, and I suspect many other Forum members are in the same boat on that aspect. Then throw into the mix the fanatical engineering Honda was ahead of the curve with back then, to the extensive development that went into the CB1100. Granted, as with all machines, the CB1100 has had a few hiccups, but I think generally those hiccups have been statistically few. Would I trade in my CB1100 for this new Guzzi, or for that matter, any other new offering of any other brand available at the moment? No, I personally would not, even if it was an even trade. The look of the CB1100 is nostalgic, the feel pleasantly familiar, and I enjoy riding it more than any of the dozen or so bikes I have owned in years since my CB750 Four..
You're right. I like Guzzi but will never buy one again after my bad experience with a slightly used modern California. Something with the engine and valves quickly went wrong, so I gave the Guzzi back to the dealer and took the CB instead. Never regret it. Any sort of pseudo enduro bike is not of my concern. Way to ugly and I'm not interested in riding offroad, you can't do anyway in Europe without doing it illegal, despite from the fact that an offroadride will harm your bike faster than you can count to 3....

Wisedrum
 
I really like my little MG V7R reliability issues not withstanding. Has 7K MILD miles on it and in that time the rear tail light stopped working (burned out bulb). Rear drive leaked significantly (a somewhat known issue). Fixed to the tune of $450 by a non MG authorized shop. Also had one other issue that was dealer related but I'm not going to fault the bike for that. Dealer dropped the brand 2 years after I bough the bike (and that quite possibly is the biggest drawback of owning a Guzzi...not having a reliable dealer/mechanic available across huge swatches of the US.)

The V85 has many unanswered questions. The stated HP is suspect by a wide margin. Many of the tech savvy Guzzista on a site I frequent don't believe that number and also don't think the production machine will come close to it. I really like the Angry Banana Yellow paint scheme with the Red frame. But that huge MG eagle across the head lights really puts me off.

Even if HP was in the mid 50's I would seriously consider this bike IF I had a reliable dealer with a competent mechanic or two on staff within 150 miles of me.
 
Back
Top