MOTO GUZZI V85

Riko_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
product page:
http://discoverv85.motoguzzi.com/en/

Videos:





Its the first time I'll say this about my CB, I never thought I would, but dang I mean it, if Guzzi decides to produce this thing, I'll be trading my CB (if a testride is as good as the looks)






High quality shocks, big 21L tank, tough looks, shaft drive and 80hp.
Only question, what will the wet weight be if this bike goes into production, lighter than the CB?

What a gorgeous bike!
 
One could possibly replace the ST one day, but no way would I trade my CB in on one, so I voted no.
 
Riko_imp said:
product page:
http://discoverv85.motoguzzi.com/en/

Videos:





Its the first time I'll say this about my CB, I never thought I would, but dang I mean it, if Guzzi decides to produce this thing, I'll be trading my CB (if a testride is as good as the looks)






High quality shocks, big 21L tank, tough looks, shaft drive and 80hp.
Only question, what will the wet weight be if this bike goes into production, lighter than the CB?

What a gorgeous bike!
Looks sharp, but when it comes to my hard-earned money, I have every right to my prejudices. An Italian bike? Only after a few years of independent statistics on the reliability.

I do not consider shaft as an advantage, perhaps au-contraire, but it would not automatically disqualify this bike. However, I would (will?) seriously consider a motorcycle with only half the required number of cylinders if and when I realize there is no I4 around that I am capable of managing the mass of.

Also, what's with the hot pipe on the left side of the bike? Is that some enduro-style abomination I'm not familiar with? OK, there's no chain access to consider, but still - why?
 
I rode my 2016 MG V7II for 7,000 miles in 7 months, this year (Feb-Sep)
Loved the shaft drive, light weight (417 #) and 5.8 gallon tank.

However, fueling was frustrating.

Cold: Wait at least a minute before even thinking of letting out the clutch.

Hot (after even 5-10 minutes in a store): Wait at least 30-45 seconds before even thinking of letting out the clutch.

If going immediately is an absolute must, then give it a lot of Rs and prepare to smell the dry clutch.

I suspect that the heated O2 sensor needs to come up to temp before the closed loop system will think properly.

The "normal" rattle in the dry clutch assembly is annoying.

Best to test ride one, before voting yes.

Just my 2 cents.
 
Thread starter
I have let go cliché prejudice about Italian bikes after currently owning a 1200 Multistrada.

Sure, there are panel gaps, doubtful quality plastic tabs etc...
Small things actually when you put that next to the riding experience and whole package.
Basic rule, take care of your expensive Italian and it will last too.

At least my Multi hasn't left me stranded (yet?) as did my CB (wich now has been working flawless as I expect from a Honda)

That said, some more high res and close up pics of high spec components such as Ohlins and Brembos.








Its all about the details when looking at those pics, the headlight, the front engine cover...rarely seen such nice details on a modern bike since the...CB1100 :)

Wonder if the controls and dash are up ther too...because when sitting on a V7 back in 2014, that was a joke tbh.
Buttons and quality were a joke and felt flimsy..

I do fear a high price tag if this will ever come out...:-/
SportsterDoc_imp said:
I rode my 2016 MG V7II for 7,000 miles in 7 months, this year (Feb-Sep)
Loved the shaft drive, light weight (417 #) and 5.8 gallon tank.

However, fueling was frustrating.

Cold: Wait at least a minute before even thinking of letting out the clutch.

Hot (after even 5-10 minutes in a store): Wait at least 30-45 seconds before even thinking of letting out the clutch.

If going immediately is an absolute must, then give it a lot of Rs and prepare to smell the dry clutch.

I suspect that the heated O2 sensor needs to come up to temp before the closed loop system will think properly.

The "normal" rattle in the dry clutch assembly is annoying.

Best to test ride one, before voting yes.

Just my 2 cents.
Owners advice is the best, thx, I'll bookmark this thread for sure :)

The normal V7 is rated around 213kg wet, thats about 50kg lighter than my EX.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
My two DTB V7C's were cold-blooded too, but it wasn't a deal breaker.
I lived with it...adapted.
Then a no idle without throttle issue developed at about 6,000 miles/6 months.
I tightened the rubber intake bands and normal idle returned (maybe correlation / maybe not).
Then I took it from Las Vegas to Clarkdale, AZ (~300 miles via Route 66) to see youngest daughter and 3 of my 13 grandkids.
Got almost there, taking Mingus Mountain (highway 89A) through Jerome.
Came to a stop sign and it died.
Restarted easily, but needed throttle to idle.
It was annoying, especially while giving grandkids a ride.
Checked valve clearance. Spot on at 0.006 intake and 0.008 exhaust.
Told my daughter than if Kingman has a CB1100, I will trade on the way home. Normal idle returned by the time I got to Chino Valley.
Kingman did not have a CB1100, so when I got home, I traded for a Yamaha XT250.
The local MG, Triumph, Ducati dealer changed ownership.
Old owners were good guys. New owner is an idiot, completely offseting good terms with sales, parts and service.
No way I wanted to leave the bike for weeks at an overworked shop (they buy a lot of bikes at auction) to diagnose an intermittent issue.

Had fun with the XT250. EFI was flawless, but now I have what I want and hope to keep the CB1100 for a long time.
Riko_imp said:
I have let go cliché prejudice about Italian bikes after currently owning a 1200 Multistrada.

Sure, there are panel gaps, doubtful quality plastic tabs etc...
Small things actually when you put that next to the riding experience and whole package.
Basic rule, take care of your expensive Italian and it will last too.

At least my Multi hasn't left me stranded (yet?) as did my CB (wich now has been working flawless as I expect from a Honda)

That said, some more high res and close up pics of high spec components such as Ohlins and Brembos.








Its all about the details when looking at those pics, the headlight, the front engine cover...rarely seen such nice details on a modern bike since the...CB1100 :)

Wonder if the controls and dash are up ther too...because when sitting on a V7 back in 2014, that was a joke tbh.
Buttons and quality were a joke and felt flimsy..

I do fear a high price tag if this will ever come out...:-/
SportsterDoc_imp said:
I rode my 2016 MG V7II for 7,000 miles in 7 months, this year (Feb-Sep)
Loved the shaft drive, light weight (417 #) and 5.8 gallon tank.

However, fueling was frustrating.

Cold: Wait at least a minute before even thinking of letting out the clutch.

Hot (after even 5-10 minutes in a store): Wait at least 30-45 seconds before even thinking of letting out the clutch.

If going immediately is an absolute must, then give it a lot of Rs and prepare to smell the dry clutch.

I suspect that the heated O2 sensor needs to come up to temp before the closed loop system will think properly.

The "normal" rattle in the dry clutch assembly is annoying.

Best to test ride one, before voting yes.

Just my 2 cents.
Owners advice is the best, thx, I'll bookmark this thread for sure :)

The normal V7 is rated around 213kg wet, thats about 50kg lighter than my EX.
There was much to admire on the V7II.
I believe drive train to be durable, but fuel programs for the V7 II were wanting.
Did not like giving up the shaft drive.
This was my comments on the V7 II after two weeks:

1. Love the low end torque...and I am already accustomed to H-D Sportsters.
2. Love the 5.8 gallon fuel tank
3. Love the light weight
4. Love accessibility for checking spark plugs
5. Love the black powder coated alloy wheels (does not show grime and I really appreciate tubeless tires)
6. Love key access to seat removal (two bolts on Bonneville and one bolt on Sportsters)
7. Love the seat height...not too low...not to high
8. Love the storage under the seat for a small tool bag, spare fuses, spare spark plugs, 6x9 zip lock bag of schematics, etc.
9. Love readability of the gauges...although the numbers could be a tad bigger for 70 year old eyes
10. Love the ground clearance and lean angle capabilities
11. Love the shaft drive
12. Air filter (AP8104924) is inexpensive at $8 - $9
13. Spark plugs (NGK CPR8EB-9) can be ordered from O'Reilly's for $4.49 each
14. Yuasa YTX14-BS battery equivalent is stocked at my local O'Reillys (ETX14), a factory filled AGM for $102.99
15. The 3 relays (headlight on after startup, start and injectors) are the same part number (AP8224462) and are only about $7
16. Appreciate easy access to air filter, fuses and battery, although 3 relays are under the fuel tank
17. Most sensors (and injectors) are easy access (right head temp, oil pressure switch, engine RPM, etc), but some are not (neutral switch, TPS, coils)
18. Seat has been comfortable for up 6 hour days, thus far; whereas both Sportsters and Bonneville seat required upgrades for more than 50 miles. Can better evaluate after a 300+ mile, 5 hour+ run to Stove Pipe Wells in Death Valley, planned for the end of March.
19. This is the first bike which may remain absolutely stock, other than a Dart Marlin flyscreen, removal of decals and stickers and LED tail/stop 1157.
20. Only negatives are:
Major
A. the lean mixture, both cold start (likes 2 minutes +) and even after a "warm" start after only a few minutes shutdown, which likes almost a full minute after re-start.
Minor
B. a few things are crowded under the tank/between the heads (throttle body, coil, etc.)
C. Haven't figured out how to get a lift to the frame, to miss the exhaust and side stand switch.
 
Want to know about any particular model ( except un released ones) go to their owner forums like this one, or google " issues with Brand X bike".

I've found with most Euro bikes thier owners all love them with the caveat that you have to fix a few things first..or put up with this or that.

Ive only personally known 4 people that have had modern Italian machinery. 3 out of the 4 had enough issues that they traded them in for other bikes of a different brand. The 4 th is stubborn lol
 
GORGEOUS:exclamation::exclamation::exclamation::exclamation: looking bike = no doubt about it...and pics are just awesome:exclamation:...but there is NO way it will replace my white CB = worry/trouble free ride...especially now, when already has fallen into winter hibernation...and still snoring.....

pb
 
Another no vote here. I wouldn't trade a CB1100 for this bike even if it was a straight up swap as this whole class of bikes is just not my thing.

If I were going to entertain the thought of a bike to serve dual purposes I'd personally rather go with something with roots that were a bit more "dirt-based" like a KLR.
 
I traded my CB1100 for a Moto Guzzi this spring - a big mistake - difficulty selecting 1st,clunky gearbox,cheap switchgear,leaking final drive bevel gear,leyshaft rattle in neutral,and worst of all the feuelling was dreadful - unable to control revs between 1000 and 3000 resulting in very snatchy performance for city riding.
Finished by returning the bike to the dealer cause they couldn't sort the leaking shaft drive - had to use our consumer rights act/lemon law to get my money and my CB back - never again.
John
It looked a lot better than it performed.
 
WK57ABF_imp said:
I traded my CB1100 for a Moto Guzzi this spring - a big mistake - difficulty selecting 1st,clunky gearbox,cheap switchgear,leaking final drive bevel gear,leyshaft rattle in neutral,and worst of all the feuelling was dreadful - unable to control revs between 1000 and 3000 resulting in very snatchy performance for city riding.
Finished by returning the bike to the dealer cause they couldn't sort the leaking shaft drive - had to use our consumer rights act/lemon law to get my money and my CB back - never again.
John
It looked a lot better than it performed.
So you actually got your CB back? I really have my doubts that would have been the outcome here.
 
Hi W/R - i only got my CB back because they hadn't sold it - i was quite lucky there - I'm also entitled to my money back if goods are of unsatisfactory quality - i think consumer rights law is very similar throughout the world - the deal was my CB and £3000 for the Guzzi V9.
John
 
Thread starter
Banned_imp said:
Did they forget the left side rear shock? Looks kind of odd without it.
those weird Italians :)
The ferret_imp said:
Want to know about any particular model ( except un released ones) go to their owner forums like this one, or google " issues with Brand X bike".

I've found with most Euro bikes thier owners all love them with the caveat that you have to fix a few things first..or put up with this or that.

Ive only personally known 4 people that have had modern Italian machinery. 3 out of the 4 had enough issues that they traded them in for other bikes of a different brand. The 4 th is stubborn lol
I know (real life and on forums-non duc forums) owners of Ducati specifically and non of them talk about major issues.

Most negatives I read about Italian bikes are from thise who didn't own them....and I was one of them. :shy:

I've owned my Multi for about 7 months and already rode 5600 miles, only during weekends and during my 3 week holiday.
Bike has been dropped twice (by myself this week :dodgy: and a friend), been ridden and parked in heavy rain.
And most importantly, it has been ridden, ridden hard.
Bike always performed flawless.

Why do people put on the sticker those bikes are unreliable?
I think because of the higher cost of maintenance and build quality of certain parts.
And everything else is hearsay.
Plastic tabs are not strong, there're panel gaps, there too much flex and play.

But I had to change or fix nothing to love this bike. :shy:
I added for my thousands of euro's of parts to make it look more bulky, not to fix something :)
I did add parts wich could be applied on every bike, such as a high screen, comfort seat, to make long distance travel as comfy as possible

If there had to be a major 'fix' it should be the full Termignoni line, because these supposedly makes the bike breath even better, much smoother, so its an upgrade that actually makes a great bike perform even better.
I haven't done this because its costly, the stock pipes look better and I am more than happy with the performance.

So no issues, no problems and it has been used, not your typical Italian dust collector :)
Only thing, it drank 1.6 liter of oil in that time.
The model is supposedly a thirsty type.
WK57ABF_imp said:
I traded my CB1100 for a Moto Guzzi this spring - a big mistake - difficulty selecting 1st,clunky gearbox,cheap switchgear,leaking final drive bevel gear,leyshaft rattle in neutral,and worst of all the feuelling was dreadful - unable to control revs between 1000 and 3000 resulting in very snatchy performance for city riding.
Finished by returning the bike to the dealer cause they couldn't sort the leaking shaft drive - had to use our consumer rights act/lemon law to get my money and my CB back - never again.
John
It looked a lot better than it performed.
thx for sharing the experience, sorry it didnt work out.

Wich model did you have? Where your issues common for the model, V9?
 
Riko, didn't you post up this thread about Ducati owners complaining about problems before you bought yours?

Ducati (ex) owners?

and I seem to recall yours having to go in for some brake work..rotors or something before or just after you bought it? (later on same thread)

I know 3 people that have personally owned Ducatis...all bought brand new ( 2 relatives and a good motorcycling friend for 35 years...my son being one of them). One was a Multistrada. So many issues it got traded in on a KTM. One was a 796 Monster with issues that got traded in on a Triumph Bonneville T120 and the third is my son who has had a ton of issues with his 696 Monster (transmission locked up, electrical failure, oil leak they can't fix, rear brake squeal they can't fix) but he won't get rid of it because his wife bought it for him as a wedding present. He calls it his "Italian Harley" and his "50 mile round trip bike" because he won't ride it more than 50 miles round trip from home. One time he emailed me a link to the Ducati monster forums and 5 of the first 6 threads were from owners whose bikes wouldn't start. No joke!

I know there are guys with Ducati's and Guzzi's and KTMs and Aprilias that run for thousands of trouble free miles (at least their owners claim so), I just don't know anyone personally that has had that kind of luck with one. I think Ducati's are beautiful for the most part, but certainly wouldn't want one in my garage, even if someone were to give it to me for free. I don't care to not trust a motorcycle in my garage, and I'm afraid I couldn't trust a Ducati (or a Moto Guzzi or Aprilia for that matter).
 
Back
Top