Most dangerous time of day to ride?

Rebel73_imp

Been there
Thread starter
I must say that it's pretty disheartening to hear so frequently on the radio as I drive my son to school in the morning about a motorcycle accident on this freeway or that freeway. This morning some rider had to be air-lifted after an accident.

It seems to me that riding in morning rush hour is the most perilous for sure, but at the same time I'm thinking, with the way traffic jams up here in L.A. in the morning, how fast could they possibly be going?

I wonder what the statistics say about "time of accident" and what percentage are during rush house vs other times?
 
Our local insurance company always runs ads that say dawn or dusk is supposed to be the greatest risk due to this being the hardest time to see MC's. I guess this intuitively makes sense, as there are lots of studies that show around 70% of accidents involve the car not seeing and failing to yield right of way (mostly by turning left in front of the rider).

That said, I could never find any stats on time itself. In fact, the latest MAIDS report states 'Due to the absence of comparable exposure data, it was not possible to determine if any month, day of the week or time of the day was a risk factor.'

'how fast could they possibly be going?' This has always been a bit of a head scratcher for me as well. Our speed limit on surface streets is 50kph, and I never really see more than 55-65 in any kind of traffic. If you're looking out and pre-braking for sketchy intersections/cars your stopping distance to zero should be well under 60 feet. Unless you are carelessly speeding or not paying attention, it seems like it would be hard to get to fatal accident speeds in urban areas.
 
OK. Still looking for the weekday stats, but there's some pretty interesting (and sobering) information available here Fatality Facts 2024: Motorcycles and ATVs

I took the following photos of a couple of screens from the site. The first shows time-of-day stats, but only for weekends. The second shows stats based on road type.

1cbdc21770fe5a52778a120ca314c19b.jpg


612a8a811e427269e40b3a505e25f1dc.jpg


In Chicago, we don't seem to have as many bike crashes during rush-hour. Rather, the ones I see on TV happen just before the morning rush..like 4:00am-5:00am. It has long been my belief that many, if not most, of these riders are on their way home from a long night instead of on their way to work for an early start. (the preceding comment is based only on the poster's opinion not on any statistics whatsoever).
 
For me, commuting to work to downtown LA is a love/hate thing. You bring up a good point when you mention how fast could they possibly be going in traffic (not fast at all of course). But what's more important is the difference in speed between the cars and the motorcycles; the greater the difference in speed the more dangerous. The squid flying down the freeway going 75mph between cars (while traffic is only 5mph) is at greater risk than someone that's only going 10-15mph faster than traffic.

Riding in the middle of downtown LA rush hour is another story. Possibly even more difficult than freeway rush hour.
 
Thread starter
There are some interesting stats on the link that I posted. It seems "sport bike riders" are FOUR times more likely to be in a fatal accident. It makes sense when you think about it.
Good point, Mike. I NEVER lane split at more than about 15mph faster than traffic. Any faster than that and you are just asking for it!
"When a motorcycle is equipped with an antilock braking system (ABS), the risk of a fatal crash is reduced by 37 percent according to the IIHS. However, when motorcycles lack ABS, the risk for injury and death are considerably higher."

Wow, I'm glad I coughed up the extra dough for my DLX.
 
I've noticed here in Phoenix that motorcycle crashes tend to occur early, just as the morning rush is starting. That's a time when speeds are still high enough to do serious damage, coupled with a lot of traffic joining the flow. Not to mention generally groggy, distracted drivers.

My work buddy tasted pavement twice in a year's time (before deciding to turn in his helmet). Both times it was on the way into work at around 6:30 AM. Also, both times he was in the HOV lane moving considerably faster than adjoining traffic when a car suddenly shot left into his lane.
 
Flynrider, very unfortunate for your co-worker. I consider that scenario a "high alert" area. Anytime there is a large differential in speed (as I mentioned on my prior post, but different scenario in this case), be extra aware of cars jumping into your lane.

I also pay extra attention when lane splitting and I see a "pocket" for cars to jump into. Always be prepared for that to happen. I feel more comfortable in between two cars; it's the "pockets" I am more concerned about. Always have an escape route when you approach that situation.
 
MikeOxbig_imp said:
Flynrider, very unfortunate for your co-worker. I consider that scenario a "high alert" area. Anytime there is a large differential in speed (as I mentioned on my prior post, but different scenario in this case), be extra aware of cars jumping into your lane.

I also pay extra attention when lane splitting and I see a "pocket" for cars to jump into. Always be prepared for that to happen. I feel more comfortable in between two cars; it's the "pockets" I am more concerned about. Always have an escape route when you approach that situation.
After his first crash, I tried to explain that to him. Particularly that in that scenario he should keep to the left side of his lane and be ready to dodge into the left breakdown lane. After the second crash he figured that he may not survive the learning process and threw in the towel. I couldn't really argue with that.

For me, being in a fast moving lane next to slower traffic ranks right up there with approaching an intersection with left turning traffic, where alertness is concerned.
 
Well, it would certainly be different in LA than in rural America where I don't think there would be any particular traffic circumstances, like rush hour, that would raise the odds of accidents. We don't have HOV lanes, we don't have lane splitting, and we don't have as many people in a hurry to get someplace. I know I was in Cali twice last year, once on a motorcycle and once on a car, and both times I wondered if it would be worth it riding a motorcycle out there everyday. Never seen people change lanes like they do out there. Here people move ahead and then move parallel into an open spot. There people moved on a 45 degree angle and CREATED an open spot. We still have a large percentage of distracted drivers per population though engaged in texting or talking on cell phones.

Here I think dawn and dusk and deer pose a serious threat for motorcyclists.
 
In rural Nova Scotia ..animals pose a greater threat than cars - in particular deer. Which makes dawn and dusk very dangerous. We have no rush hours, or things like lane splitting. we barely have traffic- but we do have many distracted drivers. they are everywhere and pose as much hazard as deer and therefore the danger exists whatever time of day you ride.
As a new rider I'm as vigilant and defensive as can be- and last season I had 3 very close calls from distracted drivers who didn't see me -but I saw them (fortunately).
 
We have a huge deer population where we live. Dusk and dawn are dangerous times to ride. Deer are extremely unpredictable, if you see one near the road you better slow way down and use extreme caution because there are usually more.
 
Dawn and dusk are most hazardous where I live for the same reasons previously mentioned. Deer, raccoons, 'possums are out in greater numbers and they are much harder to see in twilight than later in total dark when the headlight is more effective.
 
I avoid the freeway in the morning. I hear too much of rider fatalities in my town from hours of 5am-7am. Mostly involving bikes being hit by semi trucks. Surface street accidents don't seem to have as many fatalities although they happen more frequently at intersections. I also try to avoid riding at night if I can.
 
So rush hour during the months when it overlaps with dawn and/or dusk then?

I could have been one of those fatalities just yesterday as sadly there seems to be no shortage of hair-raising moments when commuting via motorcycle. I have the option of using the freeways or surface streets to get to my workplace which is located in an industrial part of the city. Yesterday I chose to travel via the surface streets. One of the downsides of this route is the possibility of getting stuck at a train crossing. As I was headed for the tracks, the lights began to flash and the guards were just starting to lower. In addition, I knew that there was a minivan in the lane to my right that was traveling along at a pretty good clip and based on the view in my mirror was gaining speed. I had a feeling that the driver was going for it. Sure enough, that was the case. I started to slow just in time. The minivan ended up coming uncomfortably close to me as it cut over into my lane in an attempt to avoid the guard (of the hinged design) which it barely cleared (I'm talking just a few inches). It took the kind of sharp weave that caused the vehicle to lean pretty good as the driver corrected its path.

Almost hit by a minivan and stuck waiting for the train to boot — it was not a good commute. With the exception that I'm here to describe it as opposed to being stuck in the hospital or worse. After all is said and done, even when dealing with encounters such as this, I still tend to arrive at work in a better mood when I've ridden my bike than I do when I driven my truck.
 
LA is the worst for bike crashes during 6-8 am. Too many relatively inexperienced riders splitting lanes, and the biggest issue is FOLLOWING TOO CLOSE! I've seen too many riders go down by 1. Flying debris from rear tires i.e. Tire tread, or rocks etc. then I've had to dodge the odd ladder that the car in front of me DID NOT see.
 
Wow Guth, that could have been bad! Glad it turned out ok.
 
I always watch the front tire of every car I pass. If they do not point my way they can't get me. But a ladder is a different story. Glad you missed that one!
 
I concur, PHX is horrible early mornings unless sat or Sunday!!!!
Do you still ride your big red? I’ve been hanging behind some Ducati bikes lately.... would consider a Mtn ride if you are on west side!!!! I saw another one here in litchfield this summer....

Mike

Goodyear

Flynrider_imp said:
I've noticed here in Phoenix that motorcycle crashes tend to occur early, just as the morning rush is starting. That's a time when speeds are still high enough to do serious damage, coupled with a lot of traffic joining the flow. Not to mention generally groggy, distracted drivers.

My work buddy tasted pavement twice in a year's time (before deciding to turn in his helmet). Both times it was on the way into work at around 6:30 AM. Also, both times he was in the HOV lane moving considerably faster than adjoining traffic when a car suddenly shot left into his lane.
 
Back
Top