More oil questions

Maturecheese_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
I'm thinking of using Motul 10w30 JASO MA2 in my Honda CB1100RS (as it's not flaming £50) but the recommended oil is JASO MA The extra 'grab' on the clutch isn't a problem but here's a question from someone that knows nothing about oil does that extra 'friction' result in faster wear?
 
MA2 should be fully backward compatible with MA.

The Motul 10w30 will work fine.

Ps. Total oil quantity will be between 3.8 and 3.9 quarts. The manual incorrectly states 4.2 quarts. Put in 3.8 and follow the sight-glass for the last lil bit.
 
Motul 5100 semi synthetic will be fine for your CB1100 Maturecheese. The bike runs well, clutch engages smoothly, and you can save some coin - especially when you find a sale.

I used 5100, until I discovered and switched to full synthetic JASO MA/MA2 diesel 5W40 oil (like Rotella T6).
 
And according to another member, the oil quantity is actually LESS than 3.8 quarts. Put in 3.5 and gradually adjust upwards from there.

I overfilled mine a couple times trying to follow the manual.
 
Maturecheese_imp said:
Thanks for the help all I will definitely use the motol 5100 and see how it goes.
I use exactly that, not noticed anything untoward but then I didn't expect to. It is a slightly murky looking oil from new so just to bear that in mind when draining on the next oil change, it isn't as bad as it looks.
 
Thread starter
I'm glad i referred back here as for a moment i thought I had ordered the wrong oil. The Motul 5100 is semi synthetic and I thought I should have ordered 7100 fully synthetic. Incidentally does anyone know if the Honda 10w30 'synthetic technology' is semi or fully synthetic?
 
Maturecheese_imp said:
I'm glad i referred back here as for a moment i thought I had ordered the wrong oil. The Motul 5100 is semi synthetic and I thought I should have ordered 7100 fully synthetic. Incidentally does anyone know if the Honda 10w30 'synthetic technology' is semi or fully synthetic?
Motul 5100 sounds fine to me Maturecheese.

Change today, then again next year.
 
Back
Top