Modifying your bike

LongRanger_imp said:
Ferret and VLJ, all good points. I agree.

I think it'd be interesting if the CB was available in an Interstate version, similar to the early Gold Wings, complete with frame-mounted fairing and bags. A retro-tourer for those who yearn for the open road. Is Craig Vetter still around?

I've been reading some interesting comments regarding the marketing of the Monkey. Many are suggesting Honda ought to reach beyond the established motorcycle community and instead advertise in Home & Garden, Popular Mechanics, etc., to reach the non-motorcycling public. I think they make a good point. Existing motorcyclists probably aren't the target market for this bike.
Off-topic..but... THIS!!

I would sell my CB1100 for a retro-inspired GL1000 (or, I suppose, a CB1100 disguised as a GL1000). I'd like the side cases and fairing to be optional, though.
 
SportsterDoc_imp said:
Cormanus' post focused on evolution of the 4 cylinder UJM and asked this question:

"More generally, why shouldn't people modify their bikes in any way they want?"

Few would question individualizing a motorcycle, which I am very prone to do. Less on the CB than other bikes: Factory engine guards, LED tail/stop bulb, custom license plate mount, snorkel mod (sound benefit, but not recommended in heavy rain), drilled the exhaust, then put back to stock and finally scrambler tires after 10,000 miles.

My comments have been intended to express the opinion that it is a great motorcycle stock and that mods may be enjoyable and have some benefits, but are not essential for most riders to enjoy a CB1100.

0-90 6.8 seconds
0-100 8.6 seconds
0-110 12 point something seconds

...and the power band is ALL usable...a great bike out of the crate, after run-in.

The liveliness of a forum requires conversations regarding opinions...hopefully gentlemanly discussion, not arguments. My main interest is in problem solving, but there are so few problems to solve with the CB1100, that I really have had little of value to post since Dave replaced his IACV and solved his idle issues.

Good time to "retire"
Considering drilling stock exhausts on 2017 cb 1100, any suggestions?
 
Yea, don't. The exhaust piping is very complicated on the 17, and not a lot to be gained by putting a few holes in the back. There are pictures of the internals on here somewhere.

Someone is putting some arrow exhausts for a 2017 up for sale in the classified soon. Probably a better and more satisfactory move.
 
I like the mellowee Honda acceleration buzz the lump and stock exhaust note generates. If I wanted more growl, I may have gone for maybe an inline twin.
 
Like many others, for me it's natural to modify my moto's to my preferences and tastes, both functionally and aesthetically. My 2013 standard continues to evolve gradually to my satisfaction because it's mine and I notice, and like the mod's, and i like looking at it. It's an expression, and this bike lends itself to many possibilities unlike other "retro" bikes. ( please note recent offerings from Kawasaki: the 900 and GPZ and Suzuki unveiling the Katana soon). This early/mid UJM resurrection may have begun with the CB, but none are new from the ground up, all being based on existing models, and none are air cooled. (yeah its got the oil cooler) My CB11, just like my '76 CB550 resto mod and 99 Valkyrie Interstate has five gears, standard clutch, preload adj. only suspension, and no ABS. And I like it that way.
 
I bought the 2014 CB1100 a few weeks ago for $5999.00. I was looking for a retro like the 1970 Honda CB750 I bought brand new back then. This bike was close enough to remind me of that bike and the price was fantastic. I will change the mirrors, turn signals and rear license plate holder to my liking. It would be fine with me if it was more powerful but its also fine the way it is. I have other bikes, some are faster, some are made for touring, some are true vintage bikes restored. The Honda fills another niche for me, it reminds me of days long gone and its just an all around great bike that can be used whenever I want. I like its looks and I always thought Honda made great products.
 
Universal Japanese Motorcycle
:hello: Howdy VD, and welcome to the forum. Please drop into New Members and introduce yourself.
 
Thread starter
G'day VegasDave. Welcome.
 
VEGASDAVE_imp said:
What does UJM stand for?
Welcome aboard, Dave!

The term UJM was coined in the 70s by a motorcycle magazine writer. After Honda came out with the CB750, it seemed that the rest of the Japanese motorcycle industry soon settled on the standard, inline 4 as their flagship bikes. Sometimes it was hard to tell them apart without looking at the nameplate.
 
Flynrider_imp said:
VEGASDAVE_imp said:
What does UJM stand for?
Welcome aboard, Dave!

The term UJM was coined in the 70s by a motorcycle magazine writer. After Honda came out with the CB750, it seemed that the rest of the Japanese motorcycle industry soon settled on the standard, inline 4 as their flagship bikes. Sometimes it was hard to tell them apart without looking at the nameplate.
Welcome aboard, Dave!

The term UJM was coined in the 70s by a motorcycle magazine writer. After Honda came out with the CB750, it seemed that the rest of the Japanese motorcycle industry soon settled on the standard, inline 4 as their flagship bikes. Sometimes it was hard to tell them apart without looking at the nameplate.
Do the letters stand for anything?
 
Thread starter
What’s your point about pedantry, GoldOxide? Others have answered the question accurately.
 
I approached CB1100 ownership from a slightly different angle
I bought my CB750 K2 back in 1972 and I absolutely ADORED that 'bike, more than any before or since. A Suzuki water-cooled 750 'Kettle' in '76 and various other 'bikes since have never quite quenched my first love of the CB750.
So when I spotted a CB1100 with all the Whitehouse K10/17 kit on, in Candy Glory Red too (my favourite) I made the decision to get one.
I'd actually been looking at the CB as a potential new 'bike for several years. But that Whitehouse one (for sale in France, actually) really convinced me. They wanted too much for it (€13,000 - about £11,000 or $15,000 for a '13) so I set about trying to find one at the right price that would leave me sufficient funds to "Whitehouse" it.
And then I spotted a virtually BRAND NEW one... Just 165 miles and a couple of months old... for just £4,000 ($5,300 or €4,600). Alas, it had been CRASHED - rammed from behind, by the looks of the damage but, crucially, nothing that couldn't be unbolted, replaced and bolted back on, plus the tank and exhaust were damaged, both items I want to replace anyway.
The problem was, I was in France (still am until May) and the 'bike's in England! No probs... I bought it and it's now in a friend's garage, awaiting my return, for repair and conversion. I can't wait!
So that's how I have come to CB1100 ownership, via a 50 year love affair with "The Original"! :)
 
Bazbro_imp said:
I approached CB1100 ownership from a slightly different angle
I bought my CB750 K2 back in 1972 and I absolutely ADORED that 'bike, more than any before or since. A Suzuki water-cooled 750 'Kettle' in '76 and various other 'bikes since have never quite quenched my first love of the CB750.
So when I spotted a CB1100 with all the Whitehouse K10/17 kit on, in Candy Glory Red too (my favourite) I made the decision to get one.
I'd actually been looking at the CB as a potential new 'bike for several years. But that Whitehouse one (for sale in France, actually) really convinced me. They wanted too much for it (€13,000 - about £11,000 or $15,000 for a '13) so I set about trying to find one at the right price that would leave me sufficient funds to "Whitehouse" it.
And then I spotted a virtually BRAND NEW one... Just 165 miles and a couple of months old... for just £4,000 ($5,300 or €4,600). Alas, it had been CRASHED - rammed from behind, by the looks of the damage but, crucially, nothing that couldn't be unbolted, replaced and bolted back on, plus the tank and exhaust were damaged, both items I want to replace anyway.
The problem was, I was in France (still am until May) and the 'bike's in England! No probs... I bought it and it's now in a friend's garage, awaiting my return, for repair and conversion. I can't wait!
So that's how I have come to CB1100 ownership, via a 50 year love affair with "The Original"! :)
Your commit to purchase clearly demonstrates your passion. Not only are you taking on labour-of-love, but decided to incur potential risk to acquire such mass of parts across international borders. Most would not venture that route, myself included. Please share the fruits with before and after story images. Should be satisfying indeed - enjoy!
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
Bazbro_imp said:
I approached CB1100 ownership from a slightly different angle
I bought my CB750 K2 back in 1972 and I absolutely ADORED that 'bike, more than any before or since. A Suzuki water-cooled 750 'Kettle' in '76 and various other 'bikes since have never quite quenched my first love of the CB750.
So when I spotted a CB1100 with all the Whitehouse K10/17 kit on, in Candy Glory Red too (my favourite) I made the decision to get one.
I'd actually been looking at the CB as a potential new 'bike for several years. But that Whitehouse one (for sale in France, actually) really convinced me. They wanted too much for it (€13,000 - about £11,000 or $15,000 for a '13) so I set about trying to find one at the right price that would leave me sufficient funds to "Whitehouse" it.
And then I spotted a virtually BRAND NEW one... Just 165 miles and a couple of months old... for just £4,000 ($5,300 or €4,600). Alas, it had been CRASHED - rammed from behind, by the looks of the damage but, crucially, nothing that couldn't be unbolted, replaced and bolted back on, plus the tank and exhaust were damaged, both items I want to replace anyway.
The problem was, I was in France (still am until May) and the 'bike's in England! No probs... I bought it and it's now in a friend's garage, awaiting my return, for repair and conversion. I can't wait!
So that's how I have come to CB1100 ownership, via a 50 year love affair with "The Original"! :)
Your commit to purchase clearly demonstrates your passion. Not only are you taking on labour-of-love, but decided to incur potential risk to acquire such mass of parts across international borders. Most would not venture that route, myself included. Please share the fruits with before and after story images. Should be satisfying indeed - enjoy!
Your commit to purchase clearly demonstrates your passion. Not only are you taking on labour-of-love, but decided to incur potential risk to acquire such mass of parts across international borders. Most would not venture that route, myself included. Please share the fruits with before and after story images. Should be satisfying indeed - enjoy!
Yes, will do.
I've been around motorcycles long enough to know what's what and what to avoid. This 'bike was written off by the insurance company, not because of horrendous damage, but simply because of the cost of repair - to tank, exhaust, seat, mudguard, rear light, brake and clutch levers and a small straightforward alloy weld on an engine mount. Add this lot together (thousands of pounds/dollars) plus labour at dealer's rates (near £100 an hour in the UK) and you can see where the disparity in comparative values lies. But as I plan to do all the work myself, and to replace tank, seat, exhaust and rear light with Whitehouse items anyway, I've already made the project financially worthwhile.
We have categories of insurance "write offs" here in the UK and this is at the very bottom category 'Cosmetic only'. The engine runs beautifully and ticks over nicely. The proper checks were made before purchase! ;)
 
Back
Top