the Ferret
Road warrior
Told ya lol
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
not true. cheapest i found a z900 was out the door 11,800. i paid 6400 otd for my '14 cb1100 with 1 mile on it. fz09 was more as well.m in sc_imp said:not true. cheapest i found a z900 was out the door 11,800. i paid 6400 otd for my '14 cb1100 with 1 mile on it. fz09 was more as well. But i didnt buy the cb1100 to go super fast on, my 19 year old concourse is faster top speed wise, stock to stock, by quite a bit. :beerchug: But i will eventually get my ecu done.VLJ_imp said:misterprofessionality, I think that in the case of the CB1100 the lure for most people certainly isn't that it provides the most engine for the dollar, even if you're talking about a heavily discounted 2014 Standard model. Honestly, 550 lbs divided by 85 low-revving ponies is not that difficult to beat, even at the Honda's deeply discounted price. The new Z900 or FZ-09, for example, can be purchased for the same price as a discounted CB1100, and they won't be four model years old, and their engines will annihilate the CB's big mill. Factor in the CB's 25% higher curb weight, and the motor/performance disparity grows that much larger.
Plain and simple, people buy the CB because they think it looks really cool. From there, further justifications such as comfort, Honda build quality, a relaxing ride, etc., are added, but the alpha and omega of any CB1100 purchase is the buyer's fondness for the Honda's timeless, classy style.![]()
improving otherwise slow bikes is fun, but i usually do that to smaller vintage models.
.02![]()
not true. cheapest i found a z900 was out the door 11,800. i paid 6400 otd for my '14 cb1100 with 1 mile on it. fz09 was more as well.VLJ_imp said:not true. cheapest i found a z900 was out the door 11,800. i paid 6400 otd for my '14 cb1100 with 1 mile on it. fz09 was more as well.m in sc_imp said:not true. cheapest i found a z900 was out the door 11,800. i paid 6400 otd for my '14 cb1100 with 1 mile on it. fz09 was more as well. But i didnt buy the cb1100 to go super fast on, my 19 year old concourse is faster top speed wise, stock to stock, by quite a bit. :beerchug: But i will eventually get my ecu done.VLJ_imp said:misterprofessionality, I think that in the case of the CB1100 the lure for most people certainly isn't that it provides the most engine for the dollar, even if you're talking about a heavily discounted 2014 Standard model. Honestly, 550 lbs divided by 85 low-revving ponies is not that difficult to beat, even at the Honda's deeply discounted price. The new Z900 or FZ-09, for example, can be purchased for the same price as a discounted CB1100, and they won't be four model years old, and their engines will annihilate the CB's big mill. Factor in the CB's 25% higher curb weight, and the motor/performance disparity grows that much larger.
Plain and simple, people buy the CB because they think it looks really cool. From there, further justifications such as comfort, Honda build quality, a relaxing ride, etc., are added, but the alpha and omega of any CB1100 purchase is the buyer's fondness for the Honda's timeless, classy style.![]()
improving otherwise slow bikes is fun, but i usually do that to smaller vintage models.
.02![]()
I don't know where you live, but here in California leftover Z900s and FZ-09s can easily be had for less than $8k out the door, which is fairly similar to the out-the-door total (including dealer set-up, tax, and registration fees) for a 2014 CB1100 Standard.
MM300_imp said:You paid for the bike, you get to do whatever you want with it. No judgment here.
As for me, I modified the first two bikes I owned and learned how quickly doing so can turn into a money pit situation. Lots of cash spent trying to ‘re-engineer’ perfectly sound machines with less than stellar results.
From that point on I have spent $0.00 on bike mods.
IMO, a modern bike is a very well tuned and integrated system. If I could wave a magic wand and get 25% more power out of the motor (but still had to pay to bring the suspension, brakes and frame up to snuff), I wouldn’t do it. This is only partially due to the cost. I’d be more concerned as to how many further mods, tweaks and trials it would take to get the bike, overall, to feel,ride and handle as brilliantly as the stock machine. All the while obsessing over some minor (but expensive) detail that’ll just make it great!
I’m not an engineer, I don’t think I’m an engineer and I don’t want to be one. I just want to ride.
I’ve owned some of the top sport bikes ever offered. I knew what the CB was before I bought it and right out of the box it performed as expected. Five seasons in, un-modded. I’m happy with it.
I'm talking about the Z900, not the Z900RS. The msrp for a Z900 is only $8,799, or $8,399 for the non-ABS version, so you can imagine what the invoice cost is on these bikes. There are leftover 2017 models of both the Z900 and FZ-09 that be purchased for under $8K OTD. In fact, there are still plenty of 2018 Z900s that can be purchased for that price.m in sc_imp said:I've seen the actual invoices on a leftover z900, its over 9k for sure 100% what the dealer pays. oh, they will -say- its that much until they work up the buyers order. did this at 3 dealers, but i know a few people in the business and know what the dealers will pay. Unless they were trying to get out from floorplanning it. Thats a different game and NOT the norm.
regardless, i live in South Carolina, about 15 mile south of Charlotte, NC, so its not a low income area. (not California but scale of economics and all). .02
I agree in as much as it is not possible to make a GSXR into a CB1100 any more than the converse is. Neither will ever be a dirt bike. I mean, if I buy a Harley with the Milwaukee 8 gigantic engine, that puts out 98 horsepower, I cannot then be dissatisfied. I have to know all that first. Power is not what that bike is about.MM300_imp said:PD, I’m sure your CB is awesome. I putt around with mine on the country roads surrounding my town. 45 - 50mph tops. I don’t ride it anywhere. I don’t push it to it’s limits. It really is perfect for the way I use it. No improvement needed.
Me 19 years ago is another story: Hayabusa, 175 mph on local roads. Riding like an idiot on a bike that was made for it.
Before that, Ninja 900 and prior to that GSXR 750 SRAD. I was that knucklehead busting in and out of traffic at a buck forty, every day.
I can neither be trusted with, nor do I need, super HP and razor edge handling.
I’m sure your bike is awesome and Kudos to you for that. I’ve yet to bump into a deficiency in the CB but if tomorrow comes and I want to start lane splitting and further po'ing my fellow Pennsylvania drivers I’ll get a real sport bike. ‘Cause I’m way too lazy to try to build one.
Only those of us who like to practice wheelies.LongRanger_imp said:Ferret and VLJ, all good points. I agree.
I think it'd be interesting if the CB was available in an Interstate version, similar to the early Gold Wings, complete with frame-mounted fairing and bags. A retro-tourer for those who yearn for the open road. Is Craig Vetter still around?
I've been reading some interesting comments regarding the marketing of the Monkey. Many are suggesting Honda ought to reach beyond the established motorcycle community and instead advertise in Home & Garden, Popular Mechanics, etc., to reach the non-motorcycling public. I think they make a good point. Existing motorcyclists probably aren't the target market for this bike.
