Modern Scramblers: yay or nay?

dbarkdoll_imp

Been there
Thread starter
How do you feel about this new scrambler craze? I realize that they use to be all the rage, and that “old is cool” will always have a place in contemporary motorcycle culture, but, they had their time. IMO. Technology has progressed. Long travel suspension is a thing now. Has been, for a long time. If you want a big, ungangly street bike to take off road, it already exists. It’s called an adventure bike now. And it’s far more capable than any scrambler being produced currently. Just seems like a regression, or fad. Where’s the utility? Is anyone actually taking these things off road?

All legitimate questions, curious of y’alls opinions.
 
Riders come in all shapes and sizes.

I’m tall.

I like to ride long-distance touring with hard luggage. (ST1300 with ABS, electric windshield, and luggage).

I love to ride forest service roads on my BMW F800GS.

And I like my CB100 in town...even though it is a little heavy.

I REALLY like the 2019 Triumph 1200 Scrambler XE. It appeals to me visually like few other bikes. If I bought it, it would replace the CB, not the BMW.
 
I don't see many scramblers around here. ADV bikes, however, are very popular. I too question the utility of a modern scrambler (especially knobbies on pavement). I think they're simply the current fashion trend, not unlike choppers a few years ago. But I respect anyone who decides to buy one. At least they're out riding!
 
I have TKC 80s on my F800GS. They are 85/15 street/off-road tires.

No problems with them on the road...even in the rain...which it is doing right now in Seattle.
 
I like the looks of street scramblers, particularly the new Triumphs, more so than the new Ducati's. My first "big" street bike was a Honda 305 scrambler, and prior to that I had ridden a friends BSA 650 Scrambler. But imo these are really street bikes than can do fireroads, mild dirt trails etc and never intended to be real " dirt bikes" even though some people are capable of taking them there. Feel the same way about ADV bikes, so these are no different than ADV bikes imo.
 
Being a long-time member of ADVrider.com, I think I can comfortably say there is something of a consensus amongst the inmates that an “adventure” bike is any bike that can be expected to be dropped, picked up, and ridden away in remote places. Without the fear of breaking off important pieces of kit. Small or large, size doesn’t matter.

I don’t think anyone that buys the new Triumph scrambler would be the least bit happy if they dropped their bike. I don’t expect to see many, if any, of them off-road.

;-)
 
"I don’t think anyone that buys the new Triumph scrambler would be the least bit happy if they dropped their bike. I don’t expect to see many, if any, of them off-road."

I think that position holds true the further away you live from the urban/rural interface. Good chance if you're down-town San Francisco and see a Scrambler, it probably has never left pavement.

Out here in Utah, where gravel/forest roads/desert etc. are just minutes away these machines will see dirt.

I've posted this pic before of my buddies Scrambler at 9,100 feet approx. 10 miles up a dirt road. Another buddy that runs frequently with him has a Ducati Desert Sled edition that routinely gets flogged off the pavement.

62c0f32caeac19a29d9653aa078eacf9.jpg
 
frulk,

Great photo!

I think that road surface is a perfect example of the difference between riding “off-pavement” and “off-road”.

Many riders viewing a new bike such as the Triumph or Ducati don’t make that distinction. All adventure bikes, including the big heavy ones, are more than capable of riding off-pavement but not that many can be easily ridden off-road or “in the dirt”.

As Clint said “A man has got to know his limitations.”

And his bike’s....

;-)
 
I like the appearance of upswept pipes and also access to chain and rear axle they usually provide.

My 1967 CL160 and 1970 CL350 were light enough that they were OK on fire roads, but certainly not comparable with my ~230# 2 stroke enduros with full knobby tires.

Modern day scramblers would do well to design exhausts with lines as clean as those Hondas.

Since most scramblers are no lighter than street versions, most are rather heavy for off-road, but scrambler tires are a benefit off the asphalt...which is why I put Perelli Scorpions on my CB1100...better handling just getting on/off the shoulder of Nevada rural highways.

Even with their weight, I would not scoff at modern scramblers used off-highway...and, I have taken street bikes on forest roads, much rougher than fire roads. The first and only time I dropped my 2003 H-D Sportster XLH883 was on a fire road, north of Los Angeles. No problem...if I had picked it up properly (back to it), the first time.

In 2013, I took my 2012 Triumph Bonneville (495#) on a solo ride to our Arizona ranch: ~220 miles, of which ~210 was asphalt (~100 on old Route 66). But the unmaintained "road" from the highway is 8 miles of rough, rocky dirt, with the last 3/4 mile a steep Jeep trail. Steep enough to require 4WD low, Jeep or truck, when hauling a water tank.

Unfortunately, I still had the stock tires on the bike, which caused a spin out/stall on a sharp uphill turn, mid-Jeep trail. That was not a problem, as I just straightened it out, hit the starter and continued up. Never seen that bike so dusty!

However, when I headed back down, the next day, the street tire was much more of a challenge. Supplies I hauled on the luggage rack (which may have helped uphill traction) were used or left at the ranch, lessening weight on rear tire. At one point, I got into a deep rut, hit a large rock, and ended up at about a 45 degree angle... more than I could bring up sitting on the seat. The left muffler (similar placement to CB1100) kept it from going over, while I got off to push it close to upright.

After a coin operated car wash (first time at about 6,000 miles) in Kingman, the Bonneville looked new, other than rock marks on the tire sidewalls.

Did not try to take the lighter weight (417#) , no-chain-to-lube 2016 Moto Guzzi V7II, there. Did not take the 2018 XT250 (293#), which would have been very well suited for the Jeep trail, but traffic on highway 95 is 70-80+ and cruising at over 70 on it was less than comfortable.

Did not try this with the CB1100! But, I were able to continue riding, there is nothing I would want more than my 2014 standard CB1100.
 
When I first started on this forum I wrote about buying the CB for getting me to places that I fly fish. Usually a 150-300 miles in distance on pavement and the potential of anywhere from 5-100 miles on gravel. I took the CB on one ride and posted the pics on our site. Was a total of 5 miles one way in and out on gravel that turned to rutted forest road. Bike was filthy and covered in dust and mud. Decided I just couldn't do that repeatedly to the CB. I've been kicking around a fourth bike for a while now. My buddy buying that Scrambler has really given me the opportunity to get a lot of info on the bike from a guy that uses it off pavement. He's a VERY capable rider. Plus I've had the opportunity to give it several detailed once overs and sitting on it. He speaks VERY glowingly of how it handles gravel in particular.

It has a VERY low center of gravity and seat height. Something I really want in a bike for the purpose I quoted above. It has enough oomph to get me down the highway post haste and not be forced to plan a passing situation on a two laner because the motor is close to it's max due to the luggage, rider weight etc.

I'm about 75% there right now in regards to the purchase decision. The new for 2019 1200cc Scramblers are getting glowing reviews. If I was to walk into our local dealer in Salt Lake City and see the 1200cc version w/o the gold forks set up with two aluminum boxes I'm not sure I could leave the store without it. That's even considering I'm very unhappy with that dealership over my Guzzi experience with them.
 
Frulk_imp said:
When I first started on this forum I wrote about buying the CB for getting me to places that I fly fish. Usually a 150-300 miles in distance on pavement and the potential of anywhere from 5-100 miles on gravel. I took the CB on one ride and posted the pics on our site. Was a total of 5 miles one way in and out on gravel that turned to rutted forest road. Bike was filthy and covered in dust and mud. Decided I just couldn't do that repeatedly to the CB. I've been kicking around a fourth bike for a while now. My buddy buying that Scrambler has really given me the opportunity to get a lot of info on the bike from a guy that uses it off pavement. He's a VERY capable rider. Plus I've had the opportunity to give it several detailed once overs and sitting on it. He speaks VERY glowingly of how it handles gravel in particular.

It has a VERY low center of gravity and seat height. Something I really want in a bike for the purpose I quoted above. It has enough oomph to get me down the highway post haste and not be forced to plan a passing situation on a two laner because the motor is close to it's max due to the luggage, rider weight etc.

I'm about 75% there right now in regards to the purchase decision. The new for 2019 1200cc Scramblers are getting glowing reviews. If I was to walk into our local dealer in Salt Lake City and see the 1200cc version w/o the gold forks set up with two aluminum boxes I'm not sure I could leave the store without it. That's even considering I'm very unhappy with that dealership over my Guzzi experience with them.
Same with the Guzzi dealer in Las Vegas!

BTW, the CB1100 does OK in gravel, even pea gravel, with scrambler tires.

See post 9 of this thread
Chrome Pitting on Fork Tubes
Rest area in second photo down was deep pea gravel.

However, the CB is not a bike that I would like to have clean off major mud!
 
Thread starter
One caveat about taking the CB1100 on gravel/dirt/fireroad what have you:

I’ve done it a few times, and would do it again if I absolutely had to, but don’t plan on it. I went on a camping trip that was about 350 miles round trip, the last 16 miles in being dirt/gravel. Did fine on the way in, just had to take it real slow. On the way out however I didn’t see a good sized loose rock in the road, front tire chucked it at the underbelly of the bike, put a good sized dent in the exhaust collector. From what I can tell it just dented the guard surrounding the pipes themselves, still something that I’d rather have avoided altogether.

Something to think about on this beautiful bike. She’s pretty low slung, with some precious bits in harms way of rocks. Oil filter definitely comes to mind.
 
I have ridden my CB 1100 EX on unpaved roads. Both times were an adventure I would not repeat. Going down sandy hills was the worst of it even in first gear. These were the times I missed my CB500XA.

This past summer I ran into a lot of extended road construction. Gravel or sand are not bad if the traffic has carved a firm track to ride in. But when they water the sand to keep the dust down things can get messy. It's almost impossible to get sand off the bottom of the motor, frame, exhaust system, and fenders once it has dried in the wind. When I removed the battery for winter storage, I found the bottom of the battery compartment full of sand. Hate to think what the air filter may look like.
 
They have their place for sure, however, I suspect their volumes are low. Like to see one with a shaft drive. Huh? Wha? 2019 and we can't get a modern light shaft on one?
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
They have their place for sure, however, I suspect their volumes are low. Like to see one with a shaft drive. Huh? Wha? 2019 and we can't get a modern light shaft on one?
My 2016 Moto Guzzi V7II was 417 pounds with shaft drive and would have been good on a dirt road with scrambler tires
 
I've got a 2016 Moto Guzzi Stornello(scrambler)
It's a great bike, light, mellow, looks cool and handles amazing for what it is.
That's my 2cents worth.
t.
 
The new gen scramblers make for some great apocalypse rides, sans those other adventure bikes.

The Norton Atlas models look great. Would you take those through the mud pile (during normal non-apocalyptic times)?
 
Back
Top