Model year differences?

jackeill_imp

New to the forum
Thread starter
Black engine cases and side reflectors on the forks and tag bracket make that bike a US version. That would be the only difference that I know of. 2014 bikes have upgraded instrumentation and a six speed transmission.
 
In riding both and going for the 14 DLX over great deals to be had for the 13 - here are the most compelling reasons - 6th gear, larger fuel tank on the DLX, 4-2 exhaust and new instrumentation that displays your gear. The last point might not matter for experienced riders and after a few weeks riding the DLX I rely on it less. As a Vespa 300 twist n go convert, it's reassuring to have the visual on gears. Love the black and DLX equally yet found a great deal on the DLX.
 
One thing I've noticed, and don't understand, is that the ABS on the '13 uses front brake calipers with 3 cylinders ( I think it's a 3 piston caliper with 1 of them for use with the linked brake feature), while the '14 ABS front brake calipers only have 2 cylinders (4 piston brakes all controlled by the front brake lever ?)..

Does this mean that the '13 uses 'linked' ABS while the '14 uses 'unlinked' ABS ?
 
I'll believe the '13 with ABS exists if I ever see one. All of the dealers around me kept telling me they hadn't gotten and weren't getting any!
 
I have the 14 deluxe. I don't think the ABS is linked. Does not seem like it to me. The ST1300 is true linked ABS system with great brakes. My deluxe had great front brakes while the rear to me not so great.
 
Ridem32_imp said:
I have the 14 deluxe. I don't think the ABS is linked. Does not seem like it to me. The ST1300 is true linked ABS system with great brakes. My deluxe had great front brakes while the rear to me not so great.
Yeah, I think you're right. The '13 ABS also has 2 hoses running to the front brake calipers vs the '14 ABS single hose. On the '13 the 'extra' hose is obviously for the linked brake.
That's a pretty good sleight of hand by Honda. I hadn't noticed that until recently. I guess they did that to keep the costs down while at the same time providing the other new whiz-bang features on the Deluxe.
 
FWIW- I was at the dealer the other day, they had a black 14 Std and a 13 non-ABS. I was talking to the sales guy about the changes from year to year, he mentioned that they changed/down graded the ABS from the CBR1000-based components in the 13 to the CBR250-based ABS components in the 14 DLX. I don't have ABS, so I wouldn't have been able to spot the differences.

griver


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
grover_imp said:
FWIW- I was at the dealer the other day, they had a black 14 Std and a 13 non-ABS. I was talking to the sales guy about the changes from year to year, he mentioned that they changed/down graded the ABS from the CBR1000-based components in the 13 to the CBR250-based ABS components in the 14 DLX. I don't have ABS, so I wouldn't have been able to spot the differences.

griver


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wow - and add $1,500 from 13. Explains why the 13 ABS of the world are spoken for.
 
grover_imp said:
FWIW- I was at the dealer the other day, they had a black 14 Std and a 13 non-ABS. I was talking to the sales guy about the changes from year to year, he mentioned that they changed/down graded the ABS from the CBR1000-based components in the 13 to the CBR250-based ABS components in the 14 DLX. I don't have ABS, so I wouldn't have been able to spot the differences.

griver


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That would concern me, brakes off a 250 on an 1100. The combined ABS on my 2013 (UK) bike are, I believe lifted off a VFR.
 
Tortuga_imp said:
grover_imp said:
FWIW- I was at the dealer the other day, they had a black 14 Std and a 13 non-ABS. I was talking to the sales guy about the changes from year to year, he mentioned that they changed/down graded the ABS from the CBR1000-based components in the 13 to the CBR250-based ABS components in the 14 DLX. I don't have ABS, so I wouldn't have been able to spot the differences.

griver


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That would concern me, brakes off a 250 on an 1100. The combined ABS on my 2013 (UK) bike are, I believe lifted off a VFR.
That would concern me, brakes off a 250 on an 1100. The combined ABS on my 2013 (UK) bike are, I believe lifted off a VFR.
The CBR250R has a single floating disk. The wet weight of the bike is around 360 lbs, well more than 1/2 the weight (mass) of the CB1100, so the brake loading on the double disks of the CB1100 is less than on the single disk on the 250 (assuming that the tires hold braking traction before ABS kicks in and ignoring differences in rotational inertia).

oops, the big flaw in this brake loading comparison is that the 250 tops out at about 80 mph but the 1100 brakes can be asked to haul the bike down from 110+ so the 1100 brakes have to be able to handle more than just simple multiplying the 250 load times 2.
 
shdwghst457_imp said:
I'll believe the '13 with ABS exists if I ever see one. All of the dealers around me kept telling me they hadn't gotten and weren't getting any!
My local dealer sold several of them. In fact, they sold the last one a little over a month ago. The ABS models seemed to be more popular in '13, so I'd imagine there aren't too many leftovers left on showroom floors.
 
I wanted an ABS model, none locally, dealer would not order as he has 3 non ABS bikes in stock. So I bought a used nonABS model at a good price.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
furious_blue_imp said:
Tortuga_imp said:
grover_imp said:
FWIW- I was at the dealer the other day, they had a black 14 Std and a 13 non-ABS. I was talking to the sales guy about the changes from year to year, he mentioned that they changed/down graded the ABS from the CBR1000-based components in the 13 to the CBR250-based ABS components in the 14 DLX. I don't have ABS, so I wouldn't have been able to spot the differences.

griver


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That would concern me, brakes off a 250 on an 1100. The combined ABS on my 2013 (UK) bike are, I believe lifted off a VFR.
That would concern me, brakes off a 250 on an 1100. The combined ABS on my 2013 (UK) bike are, I believe lifted off a VFR.
The CBR250R has a single floating disk. The wet weight of the bike is around 360 lbs, well more than 1/2 the weight (mass) of the CB1100, so the brake loading on the double disks of the CB1100 is less than on the single disk on the 250 (assuming that the tires hold braking traction before ABS kicks in and ignoring differences in rotational inertia).

oops, the big flaw in this brake loading comparison is that the 250 tops out at about 80 mph but the 1100 brakes can be asked to haul the bike down from 110+ so the 1100 brakes have to be able to handle more than just simple multiplying the 250 load times 2.
Very, very true. Remember: Energy (kinetic) = 1/2 Mass x Velocity Squared. I think some pommie bloke came up with that :)

Cheers
 
grover_imp said:
FWIW- I was at the dealer the other day, they had a black 14 Std and a 13 non-ABS. I was talking to the sales guy about the changes from year to year, he mentioned that they changed/down graded the ABS from the CBR1000-based components in the 13 to the CBR250-based ABS components in the 14 DLX. I don't have ABS, so I wouldn't have been able to spot the differences.

griver


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I hadn't paid attention to this and thus did not notice. However, I'm truly surprised that this difference in configuration had not been brought up by anyone on this forum before this thread.
 
Elipten I like the abs better not being linked. For riders that have been riding for years we are use to being able to control our front & rear brakes! With linked abs if you hit the rear brake it controls the front also not giving you the option to use just the front or rear brakes. If you needed to lay your bike down and slide to avoid a worse wreck with linked abs you cannot do that.
If they made the deluxe with no ABS that's the bike I would of bought. I like to be in full charge of my front & rear brakes and if I wanted to lock up either brake I could. But that's just me and how I'm use to riding for 40 plus years.
 
Ridem32_imp said:
Elipten I like the abs better not being linked. For riders that have been riding for years we are use to being able to control our front & rear brakes! With linked abs if you hit the rear brake it controls the front also not giving you the option to use just the front or rear brakes. If you needed to lay your bike down and slide to avoid a worse wreck with linked abs you cannot do that.
If they made the deluxe with no ABS that's the bike I would of bought. I like to be in full charge of my front & rear brakes and if I wanted to lock up either brake I could. But that's just me and how I'm use to riding for 40 plus years.
+1 on that, and I don't see any difference in the brake components. 296mm disks w/4-piston calipers on all models, all years. Rear is same too. Maybe the dealer was referring to the ABS control module only, certainly not the brakes/rotors.
The reality of today's riders is most do not and will never ride a dirt bike. That's where you learn to control those brakes and steer with the back wheel, and use your body weight.

These days it's all done with computers. We can get a bike with 180 HP on the spec sheet but we can never use it. All these bikes nowadays have a lot of computer intervention built in because so many new riders will never start on something small and really learn the techniques.

As Ridem32 said I also like to use the full power of my front brake, rear brake, and engine independently and in coordination. Yes it takes years and years to get there but that's real riding.

For you all that are getting this bike as a first bike, I suggest some good track days and learning bike control at slow speeds as well. Don't count on the ABS to get you out of anything. It actually increases stopping distance for a skilled rider.
 
Back
Top