MMG Lithium Ion Battery

Just an update on this product...

I bought this mmg lithium Ion battery from Power sports depot on Amazon.com in February of this year and just a week ago I left the ignition on overnight on my Triumph street triple. Obviously the battery was dead and when I took it out of the bike the bottom of the battery swelled up and would not take a charge.

The battery carries a 6 month warranty and was lucky enough to get a replacement. So just a heads up that this battery is pretty sensitive to drainage. I know flynrider was lucky enough to save his when he had a similar experience...

Other than that I've had 8 months so far on my CB1100 same lithium ion battery and its been working flawlessly.
 
I just replaced my old battery with one of these MMG lithium ion batteries this weekend. Easy swap. I'll see how it holds up.


2013 Honda CB1100
 
+1 on lithium. Second bike I've used them on. Just replaced the old lead weight with the featherweight lithium.

I have to say though that replacing the battery on the CB1100 was the biggest pain in the arse of a battery change I've ever experienced. Someone needs a tune up to get that design right.

The weight savings are staggering but it did cost $170 vs $99 for the brick.
 
What made the battery replacement difficult?
 
Maybe the dealer left the lifting strap off the battery...
 
The ferret_imp said:
What made the battery replacement difficult?
Hi ferret. The battery came out with a good old tug. The problem I had was there was virtually no free-play in the battery leads when meant it was a struggle to move them out the way when removing the old battery.

Matters were worse when installing the new one as it was extremely difficult to slide the new battery in as the leads/cables (not sure correct term) which connect to the +/- battery terminals couldn't be pulled and moved out the way (no "free play" in them as mentioned above).

Anyway, all done and only minor skin removal from knuckles in the process. :thumbsup:
 
Nothing like bringing an "old" thread back to life: Looks like I need a new charger for my lead acid (typically AGM) batteries. I thought it was this thread were we had an expert on batteries and chargers. Looking for advise and wisdom. I'd like a good one, not sure I could afford an excellent one - but hey, one can dream!

Suggestions?
 
Look for an Optimate charger , they have different ones from simple to more elaborate ones.
Also many accessories are available from them.
 
I killed a Shorai by leaving the ignition turned on on my 500EXC and was able to bring it back to life using a balance charger that was super cheap on ebay. I now use the balance charger once a year on the battery to ensure it's in good health.

 
Thread starter
I have a cold weather update for this thread. I think previously I'd posted that cold weather starts around freezing would benefit from the lithium battery cold weather procedure of turning the ignition on and letting the current draw warm the battery internally.

Around 32F I didn't have to use the procedure, but the bike would crank noticeably slower if I skipped it.

Fast forward to 10/13/17. The battery is now 2.5 yrs old and I'm in Utah, on my way back home to Phoenix. The temperature was a nippy 25F when I prepared to take off in the morning. I was reminded that I have a lithium battery when I turned the key and hit the starter as usual. The engine made about 1/2 a turn, then I saw both gauges go through the sweep again. This is what you normally see when you have a dying/dead battery. Fortunately, I remembered the procedure and left the ignition on. After about 45 seconds, I hit the starter and she cranked at normal speed and started right up.

To sum up, at 32F the bike would still start without the warm up procedure. At 25F, let it warm up with the ignition on at least 45 seconds before hitting the starter.
 
Thread starter
It is. The weirdest part for me is remembering to do it when it's that cold. I only start a bike in freezing temps maybe once or twice a year. :)

On the opposite end of the spectrum, this battery doesn't seem to be much affected by the summer heat as the lead/acid batteries. At 2.5 years, a flooded cell or AGM battery would be at the end of life here in the desert (the OEM only lasted 2 years). I put a load meter on this battery last week and it still looks as strong as it did when I bought it.
 
Thread starter
Well, it's time for another annual update. The MMG battery has been on my bike for over three years and is still working great. I checked resting voltage last weekend and it's the same as when it was new.

Typical lead/acid batteries (both flooded and AGM) tend to last less than 3 years in our desert heat. The OEM AGM unit lasted exactly two years. I think this lithium technology is exactly what us desert dwellers need. It doesn't seem to be affected by the heat at all. The only issue I had (see above) was starting in mid 20 degree temps, where I had to use the warm up procedure before it would crank.

So far, this is the best battery I can remember owning. Over the last ~30 years, I can't remember the last time I had a battery that made it a full 3 years. If this battery should die in the near future, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.
 
I can’t believe it’s 3 years since you installed that battery, Flyn. Where did they go?
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
I can’t believe it’s 3 years since you installed that battery, Flyn. Where did they go?
No kidding! I had to go back to the beginning of this thread to double check that it had been that long. Time flies when you're having fun.

I still refer to my CB1100 as the "new bike" :D :D
 
Thank you Flynn for the continued updates on this new (guess it's not that new anymore) technology. I've been eyeing one when it comes time for replacement of my OEM.
 
Flynrider_imp said:
Well, it's time for another annual update. The MMG battery has been on my bike for over three years and is still working great. I checked resting voltage last weekend and it's the same as when it was new.

Typical lead/acid batteries (both flooded and AGM) tend to last less than 3 years in our desert heat. The OEM AGM unit lasted exactly two years. I think this lithium technology is exactly what us desert dwellers need. It doesn't seem to be affected by the heat at all. The only issue I had (see above) was starting in mid 20 degree temps, where I had to use the warm up procedure before it would crank.

So far, this is the best battery I can remember owning. Over the last ~30 years, I can't remember the last time I had a battery that made it a full 3 years. If this battery should die in the near future, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.
Didn't you use your CB regulary?
3 years isn't so long.

My CB still has its original battery and after more than 5 years it still works great. Also the W800's first battery being more than 7 years old is in use without any signs of weakness and hopefully some more years to come. To not give a motorbike longer periods of rest but ride it every once in while or more often is the best way of taking care for a battery's life and all other parts of the bike. The CB very good knows how to keep its battery alive, better than any other charging system.

Wisedrum
 
Back
Top