MMG Lithium Ion Battery

If we are talking about the plastic tool storage box, The screw goes into a captive nut that is in the plastic under fender piece called Fender B, RR on the fiche. The nut doesn't appear to be shown, but is rectangular and is held in on the bottom by 2 little molded plastic ears.

You can reach underneath and feel them and slightly see them from the top. If that is what is falling out, the ears must be messed up. You could fix that in a number of ways. Or leave out the screw, nothing will happen.

I don't see any bracket so if you send me the pic, I'll post it so we can see more of what you are talking about.
 
After talking to Streetshark by email, it turns out he is talking about the captive nut that the toolbox screw goes in. For some reason, his will fall out when he takes the screw out. Don't have a pic, but most likely the molded plastic ears that stop that are messed up for some reason.

So, mystery solved.
 
Now that I deep-sixed that screw and nut imprisonment thing, my bike's gotta be about .1 ounces lighter! I bet there's all kinds of other unnecessary stuff we could just take off our bikes!

-StreetShark
 
Hey, so new thing, and sew me if somebody already answered this question on this thread, but I want to know, can somebody recommend a specific charger to use on this MMG Battery?
 
Thread starter
Are you talking about a float charger? If so, I've got nothin' :P I ride everyday, so I don't have a use for one. I suspect it would require something geared toward Lithium batteries, as they typically charge at higher voltages.

When I inadvertently killed the battery, I put it on a dumb 2 amp charger for about 5 hrs., which brought it back to full power.
 
Any trickle charger that doesn't have a "desulfate" mode as part of its charging cycle, as this is what kills li-ion batteries.
 
I scanned this thread but perhaps could've been more thorough;

bottom line, there are two kinds of lithium batteries with vastly different chemistry.

One is the Lithium Ion as the OP mentioned. Yes, they can explode. They do explode. They catch fire, as Boeing's 787 experienced some time ago and the Samsung and some other phone and computer products have demonstrated. Sometimes the phones and computers, as well as "vaping" devices, explode. One guy had some very serious injuries on that count.

The other is the Lithium-Iron or LiFe battery. Completely different chemistry, perfectly safe. Shorai makes these for powersports. I have one in my ZX-10R; it's a popular upgrade because the low voltage from the stock, anemic, battery causes the steering damper's ECU to glitch and throw a fault light. I installed another in my GSX-R 750 track bike because it sits for months at a time without being ridden.

These "LiFe" batteries are much lighter than a stock battery, by a lot. It's 6.29 pounds lighter than the stock unit. I have never had a problem with either battery.

It's $200 but I don't like being stranded.
 
Thread starter
OK, it's time for an update. The MMG battery in my CB11 has passed the two year mark. Officially outlasting the OEM Yuasa which died after exactly two years.

Since my last update, I haven't even thought about the battery. It has cranked up the bike every time. I checked the resting voltage today and it's still about where it was then the battery was new, about 13.6V.

I haven't been riding the CB11 as much as before. I used to ride it every other day (swapping back and forth with the CB750), but recently I've tended to use the 750 more for routine around town riding, so the CB11 only gets fired up about once or twice a week. Hasn't seem to have made a difference to the battery.

Not much else to say. No news is good news!
 
That is good news. Hope it lasts another 2 years for you.
 
Looking for a replacement battery. Hoping to shed a few pounds and have a hassle free lithium battery. This one still in good standing ? Or can Anyone suggest another ?

Thought about opening another thread. But I'll start here.

Thanks in advance.

JF
 
As of about a week ago it was holding up fine after 2 years—see here.
 
Streetshark07_imp said:
I installed one of these too, it was a bit tougher than I expected. Does anyone else have a problem with the bracket for the screw for the hole in the underseat storage coming lose? For me it comes out almost every time and I am considering not worrying about even attaching this piece in the future.
(Picture of the scree I'm talking about is attached, oops can't actually find a way to attach a picture, I think you guys know what I'm talking about though, its what secures the box to the bike)

-StreetShark

I know this post is a year old, but I have the same exact problem. That bracket comes loose for me every time I take that screw out.


2013 Honda CB1100
 
Yup, I had that issue. Although, I don't think it's a very big issue. just hold it from the underside. Maybe glue it in place ??

I installed the battery last week. Took just a few minutes and bike started up like a champ. It's crazy how light this battery is. Feels fake when you hold it in your hand.

Time will tell on the quality, but I'm optimistic !!
 
Its called a "nut, special 6mm". You can see it from underneath the rear fender from the right side. If it won't stay in place, you could use a dab of silicone or something to hold it, but let it move a tad.

Leaving it out isn't going to hurt anything either. Its not like the tool box (Honda name-Battery Cover) can go anywhere.
 
chandler_imp said:
Streetshark07_imp said:
I installed one of these too, it was a bit tougher than I expected. Does anyone else have a problem with the bracket for the screw for the hole in the underseat storage coming lose? For me it comes out almost every time and I am considering not worrying about even attaching this piece in the future.
(Picture of the scree I'm talking about is attached, oops can't actually find a way to attach a picture, I think you guys know what I'm talking about though, its what secures the box to the bike)

-StreetShark

I know this post is a year old, but I have the same exact problem. That bracket comes loose for me every time I take that screw out.


2013 Honda CB1100

I know this post is a year old, but I have the same exact problem. That bracket comes loose for me every time I take that screw out.


2013 Honda CB1100

are you talking about this one? the jis screw? or the push pin one?

 
The ferret_imp said:
chandler_imp said:
Streetshark07_imp said:
I installed one of these too, it was a bit tougher than I expected. Does anyone else have a problem with the bracket for the screw for the hole in the underseat storage coming lose? For me it comes out almost every time and I am considering not worrying about even attaching this piece in the future.
(Picture of the scree I'm talking about is attached, oops can't actually find a way to attach a picture, I think you guys know what I'm talking about though, its what secures the box to the bike)

-StreetShark

I know this post is a year old, but I have the same exact problem. That bracket comes loose for me every time I take that screw out.


2013 Honda CB1100

I know this post is a year old, but I have the same exact problem. That bracket comes loose for me every time I take that screw out.


2013 Honda CB1100

are you talking about this one? the jis screw? or the push pin one?




I know this post is a year old, but I have the same exact problem. That bracket comes loose for me every time I take that screw out.


2013 Honda CB1100

are you talking about this one? the jis screw? or the push pin one?

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/removingseatandtooltrayCB1100010_zps4ded5f39.jpg.html]

Yes, that screw. I don't even have the push pin in my box. The bracket holding that screw in is what falls out.


2013 Honda CB1100
 
Back
Top