Missing motorcycling

Doc, good luck on Tuesday. I had a brain MRI last year in a search of a cause for chronic migraines. All was good. My advice? Bring earplugs!

After the procedure my neurosurgeon invited me to have a look at the scans. I quickly declined! I have NO desire to see my brain! Fortunately, she found nothing. I was able to cure my headaches with a daily 250 mg dose of magnesium.
 
Longranger with all respect and no knowledge, have you seen this?

All the best and same for sportster doc.
 
Long ranger , when you said she found nothing I was at first afraid that she did not find any brain tissue inside your skull ….
I am glad that you are ok now.
 
Thread starter
This auto-cyle would not violate promise to my wife of no more M/C.
Just thinking about it

https://can-am.brp.com/on-road/us/e...tBh3xAwSOEAAYASAAEgLI4vD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

900cc, 3 cylinder, liquid cooled, OHC 4 valves per cylinder with hydraulic lifters (think 2002 Honda Nighthawk) shaft drive... only about 100 pounds more than CB1100, 5 1/4 gallon fuel tank.

Concerns are CVT trans with recommended belt changes at 12,000 miles and MPG may only be low thirties.

Smaller, lighter and less complicated than Spyder. Accelaration almost same as Spyder with 1330 cc motor.

Visited dealer which sold and later purchased my CB1100. Show room was 75% empty... sales have been really good for them!
 
Certainly worth a thought, Doc.
 
SportsterDoc_imp said:
This auto-cyle would not violate promise to my wife of no more M/C.
Just thinking about it

https://can-am.brp.com/on-road/us/e...tBh3xAwSOEAAYASAAEgLI4vD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

900cc, 3 cylinder, liquid cooled, OHC 4 valves per cylinder with hydraulic lifters (think 2002 Honda Nighthawk) shaft drive... only about 100 pounds more than CB1100, 5 1/4 gallon fuel tank.

Concerns are CVT trans with recommended belt changes at 12,000 miles and MPG may only be low thirties.

Smaller, lighter and less complicated than Spyder. Accelaration almost same as Spyder with 1330 cc motor.

Visited dealer which sold and later purchased my CB1100. Show room was 75% empty... sales have been really good for them!
The ergos adjust ability on that thing is insane.
 
Doc, it looks awesome. BRP has been using CVT in its snow machines for a long time. I wouldn’t sweat it. Sounds like you need to arrange a test drive!
 
Cool color options...wish Honda would do that! I like the look; give it a color and it really brings out the dog head with attitude look.
 
Thread starter
LongRanger_imp said:
Doc, it looks awesome. BRP has been using CVT in its snow machines for a long time. I wouldn’t sweat it. Sounds like you need to arrange a test drive!
Thank you (and Cormanus, The Ferret, Guth and pdedse) for your comments.

The Ryker I checked out was where I bought the CB1100, 4 miles from home; but no test ride available...at least that was the statement regarding the Slingshot that I wanted to check out (too big).

So I called the owner of the Yamaha-Can Am dealer across the valley (30 miles around the beltway) where I bought the TW200 in Dec 2016 and XT250 in Sep 2017. He has none in showroom, but several in crates. Told him no rush, as wife and I are taking two granddaughters to ranch Mon-Wed. He said he would have one assembled Tue for me to ride Thu or Fri. Need to shop for new helmet, tomorrow.

Last concern is that it reportedly runs ~5,000 RPM at only 50 MPH, 5,500 at 60 MPH and 6,400 at 75 MPH, depending on load. Wonder if I will be satisfied for all day rides?...up to 500 miles?

If I recall correctly, the CB1100 runs over 100 MPH at 5,000 RPM in 6th gear.

To be comtinued...
 
There’s a photo in this thread allegedly taken when a 5 speed CB1100 was doing 100 mph. 5,500 RPM

[/http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?pid=264857#pid264857
 
SportsterDoc, hope the Ryker works out for you! Not riding is just miserable, as you certainly know, and I felt bad for you when you gave up riding.

This sounds like good news.
 
Thread starter
Pending next week's test ride, I'm researching if changing primary clutch spring would allow cruising at less RPMs...new territory for me.

CVT belt change (12,000 miles) does not seem complicated. A bolt is used (similar to steering wheel puller) to separate secondary clutch plates to remove old belt and install new.

Sport windshield is $205.
Hand guards are $80 and provide a good place to padlock my helmet, when hiking.

Otherwise will likely remain stock.

Parts research completed:

Air or CVT filter (air flow to cool CVT belt is filtered with same size filter as engine)
BRP air filter 707800188 $35.99 / $32.39
K&N CM-9919 $41.99 (vet discount $37.79) at O'Reilly's

BRP Oil filter 420956123 $12.99
HiFlo HF152
K&N KN152

Standard spark plug NGK CR8EB (7784) $3.99 at O'Reilly'

BRP sport windshield 219401023 $203.99

Locking gas cap
Gates 31859
Stant 10524 $21.99 at O'Reilly's

Probably give my Seal N Air to friend with V-rod and replace with Dynaplug kit. Dynaplug® Tubeless Tire Puncture Repair Tools and Accessories

Still have my ultralight weight super compact German made footpump and the Ryker has a glovebox.

Do not plan to take 36 mm socket on rides (needed for wheel removal).
 
Jerry, good luck with your Ryker, hope it's gonna serve you with no problem....how far to your closest dealer???
:thumbsup:
 
Thread starter
Peter
Perhaps the photo of Redstone along Lake Mead Northshore Road did not go the first time as I sent it from there and it is a no service area.

Very pleasant purchase experience (third purchase from dealer).
Yamaha of Las Vegas highly recommended.

Rode it home yesterday and got very familiar with it.
Under seat tool bag attached with
Compact foot pump
Combo wrenches, stubby, 10, 13, 15
L wrenches, 3, 4, 5
L wrenches, T25, T30, after I find them...no joy at True Value or Ace in Overton, today
and a Dynaplug kit, when it arrives

In Overton (Maverick 91 octane) 33.5 MPG, running ECO mode for run-in, versus Normal or Sport (no traction control). Miles divided by gallons purchased within 0.1 of trip computer. Typical Speed 55-60 MPH, with speed variances for run-in.

Vrod friend and I had a shaded patio lunch at the Inside Scoop in Overton. He went home via Logandale and Interstate 15, due to issues at home.

I doubled back on return trip and did a leisurely solo 45-55 MPH. Trip computer indicated almost 38 MPG. However, when I filled at home, the Costco pump would not let me fill past 1.74 gallons, which would be a much unexpected 47 MPG on a machine not expected to exced 40 MPG.

Getting used to higher RPMs, but acceleration is strong. Even in ECO mode, I unintentionally chirped the tire in the Costco parking lot.

I do not yet feel as comfortable cornering as on a bike, but there must be truth in expecting an upper body workout in the turns. Although not (yet) feeling it, my goal of getting under 180 pounds was reached today!

Fuel gage reading is not proportionate. It has 10 segments, which should be ~0.5 gallon per segment for a 5.25 gallon tank. 9 were illuminated after 80 miles.

Normal read on temperature gauge mid point with is 5 segments illuminated. It reached that 1/2 mile from home on my run to Lowes, this morning. Once up to temp, the reading never changed. Back in the valley, the electric fan came on at signals and in construction traffic.

Glove box holds quantity 4 Water bottles (0.5 liter) reading glasses, sun glasses, etc.

Stock solo seat comfortable. Sport windshield performed very well.

I am not tall, but footpegs farthest forward very comfortable (5 adjustments, every couple inches).

Not impressed with braking, but I adjusted brake pedal forward, to avoid riding it.

Plan to go to Corn Creek Springs, Cold Creek, Lee Canyon, Deer Creek Road to Mt charleston, then return via Kyle Canyon tomorrow to complete run-in.

Correction to post 36: Wheel nut is 65 mm
 
Congratulations SportsterDoc — as with VLJ, I'm glad to know that you have found a way back out to the open road. I'm looking forward to more updates.
 
Back
Top