Missing motorcycling

SportsterDoc

Road warrior
Thread starter
No ride report, but missing motorcycling!
This was a year and two bikes prior to the CB1100.
2016 Moto Guzzi V7II
https://image.ibb.co/j0tjoa/6_months_4900_miles_at_Red_Rock.jpg

Went to doctor yesterday
Likable
Had blood drawn (5 vials)
Might learn something from chemistry
CT scan planned if blood tests indicate my liver can take the dyes
Right eye is moving farther to the right, just in the last couple days, but double vision looking right of center persists.

Dealer still has the CB1100 for sale for $6,999 with 12,523 miles.
Sold it back to them Sep 4, almost a month (and 1,000 miles!) after the eye issue started.

Safe and enjoyable riding to all!
 
This is one of those posts that I don't know what to say but yet I do. It pained me just to read the title of this thread and seeing it was you. I just got back into riding in the past couple of years and I know it's not going to last but dammit I am really enjoying being back on a bike, I can only imagine how you feel having to give it up.

But there is so much more to life than riding and I hope you can embrace that to help you through the withdraw.
 
The only reason I bought my CB is because it was my dream bike when I was teenager...if CB was not resurrected, today I would not have any motorcycle at all.
As I am getting older, year by year, I know, I will have to give up motorcycling one day....let me dream longer,.....I hope that day never comes....
 
I always enjoy your knowledgeable contributions to the various discussions here on the Forum, and hope that there is some kind of positive solution to your ailment in the very near future, regardless of whether or not it might allow getting back on a motorcycle.

My riding and and ownership of motorcycles has been off and on since I was 17, and I am 66 now. I am not ready for a rocking chair by any stretch of the imagination, but also know that I cant, and shouldnt try to ride forever. I am reminded of a line from a Clint Eastwood movie when he said " Ya know, a mans just gotta know his limitations". I shocked a friend of mine recently, when I told him I was eyeing the Honda Monkey 125. He asked me why, and I told him I knew that the time to give up motorcycle riding as I have known it for the past 49 years would come, and I was thinking something small like the Monkey to buzz around the neighborhood might fill the void for a little while longer when the time comes. Getting older is not for the faint of heart.
 
I responded to this yesterday but apparently didnt hit post right lol.

Anyhow, I can't imagine the conflict of making the decision to quit for a died in the wool motorcyclist. I sincerely hope there is a good outcome for you on your recent medical tests. Whether you get to ride again or not.

I know it will come someday for me as well, and with recent medical issues it seems like it will have to be made sooner than I had hoped. Hope to hang on at least 2 more years. I apparently wasn't blessed with Rocky's genetics for strength and good health. For the present, at 68, I'm still able to ride and look forward to it every day. Now that the broken arm is mostly mended, I am back in the saddle again, at least for now. Hope to leave for a motorcycle trip with some family members next Monday if the ortho doc gives me the ok this Friday. Looking forward to it.

Hang in the Doc, who knows... Miracles have been known to happen.
 
Best wishes for the future SportsDoc :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I'm always saddened to hear about a rider being forced to quit. Be optimistic as things might turn around for you.

The same good wishes to you too ferret. Good to hear that you're back in the saddle.
 
SportsterDoc_imp said:
No ride report, but missing motorcycling!
This was a year and two bikes prior to the CB1100.
2016 Moto Guzzi V7II
https://image.ibb.co/j0tjoa/6_months_4900_miles_at_Red_Rock.jpg

Went to doctor yesterday
Likable
Had blood drawn (5 vials)
Might learn something from chemistry
CT scan planned if blood tests indicate my liver can take the dyes
Right eye is moving farther to the right, just in the last couple days, but double vision looking right of center persists.

Dealer still has the CB1100 for sale for $6,999 with 12,523 miles.
Sold it back to them Sep 4, almost a month (and 1,000 miles!) after the eye issue started.

Safe and enjoyable riding to all!
That was the bike that I nearly bought over the CB...very elegant looking bike.

Sorry to hear that health issues drive your decision to step away from riding.
 
Sending wishes and prayers for your recovery. I also am approaching the ride/quit decision in the foreseeable future. I bought the CB because my beloved ST is harder to handle lately. that brought home vividly while trying to wrestle it around the garage yesterday. A couple more years and they may all need to go.

Best of luck, and modern medicine to your SporsterDoc.
Jim
 
SportsterDoc--One of my closest friends who is in his early 70s suffered a brain bleed about 3 years ago. Prior to that, he had spent a lifetime on bikes, had ridden all over the World, and owned at least 10 bikes at his different homes at the time he fell ill. For a while, all of his friends thought he might not survive, yet he managed to survive and he slowly got strength back and improved. That said, he is left with double vision and has only a fraction of the stamina he had previously. I know he misses his bikes a lot, and last year he bought a Can-Am Spyder. He complains that it is not motorcycle, but just a couple of days ago I got a picture of it he took while on a ride in a beautiful part of Arkansas near where he lives. When he rides he wears glasses that cover one eye. He will always complain it is not a real motorcycle, but it has allowed him to continue riding a lot more safely than if he tried to ride a 2 wheeler. Best wishes to you.
 
apex1_imp said:
SportsterDoc--One of my closest friends who is in his early 70s suffered a brain bleed about 3 years ago. Prior to that, he had spent a lifetime on bikes, had ridden all over the World, and owned at least 10 bikes at his different homes at the time he fell ill. For a while, all of his friends thought he might not survive, yet he managed to survive and he slowly got strength back and improved. That said, he is left with double vision and has only a fraction of the stamina he had previously. I know he misses his bikes a lot, and last year he bought a Can-Am Spyder. He complains that it is not motorcycle, but just a couple of days ago I got a picture of it he took while on a ride in a beautiful part of Arkansas near where he lives. When he rides he wears glasses that cover one eye. He will always complain it is not a real motorcycle, but it has allowed him to continue riding a lot more safely than if he tried to ride a 2 wheeler. Best wishes to you.
Very well said...
We all know about SD great contribution to this and other forums and we wish him all the best :thumbsup:
 
Thread starter
When I returned to motorcycling at 68 I had no health issues. But over the last 5 years I have suffered from a number of ailments.

High blood pressure, that I fixed by eating smarter, exercising more, and losing weight.

Four increasing painful gall bladder attacks and finally its removal. I am still trying to convince myself that it was not because I changed my diet.

Kidney stones, after having my gall bladder removed. The medicine prescribed to lessen them gave me stomach cramps, acid reflux, and diarrhea. Fortunately that has been adjusted.

This year a bout of either the West Nile Virus or Cellulitis depending on the doctor I talked to.

And finally surgery on my nose because a dermatologist thought I might have skin cancer. No sign of cancer and the two cuts are healing nicely. But they want me to stay out of the sun. Hard to do when I walk the local nature every winter day to avoid the Seasonal Affective Disorder (winter blues) and spend my summers fishing, running large scale trains outdoors, and riding my motorcycle.
 
Thread starter
It has been only in last 2 years that I started using sunscreen (high SPF) when riding (open helmet). I am blue eyes, light skin, probably due to Irish descent on my maternal grandfather's side and I favor him more than my paternal grandfathers Catawba descent.
Should have been using sunscreen sooner!
 
Thread starter
Wife and I visited Zion National Park today, in our truck.
No wait at the toll booth, this morning, but not a single parking space at the visitor center (huge parking lot). Would not have been an issue on a motorcycle!

Fortunately, where we saw 6 big horn sheep, east of tunnels, we found parking, as well as where we hiked.

Been to Zion on 3 different bikes in past 5 years. Would have been great riding weather, today.

Sholud be no parking issues at Bryce Canyon or Cedar Breaks, tomorrow.

MRI and MRA of brain scheduled for 13 Nov. Right eye is now moving full range and double vision has less separation since onset 9-10 Aug.

Ride safe, my friends!
 
Jerry, wish you all the best with your medical.
Also thanks for few words about Zion N Park...Grand Canyon + is in my dream schedule list...perhaps one day???
 
SportsterDoc_imp said:
Wife and I visited Zion National Park today, in our truck.
No wait at the toll booth, this morning, but not a single parking space at the visitor center (huge parking lot). Would not have been an issue on a motorcycle!

Fortunately, where we saw 6 big horn sheep, east of tunnels, we found parking, as well as where we hiked.

Been to Zion on 3 different bikes in past 5 years. Would have been great riding weather, today.

Sholud be no parking issues at Bryce Canyon or Cedar Breaks, tomorrow.

MRI and MRA of brain scheduled for 13 Nov. Right eye is now moving full range and double vision has less separation since onset 9-10 Aug.

Ride safe, my friends!
Good luck with the MRI and MRA...good to hear about improved eye movement...I hope your recovery is full.
 
pdedse_imp said:
SportsterDoc_imp said:
Wife and I visited Zion National Park today, in our truck.
No wait at the toll booth, this morning, but not a single parking space at the visitor center (huge parking lot). Would not have been an issue on a motorcycle!

Fortunately, where we saw 6 big horn sheep, east of tunnels, we found parking, as well as where we hiked.

Been to Zion on 3 different bikes in past 5 years. Would have been great riding weather, today.

Sholud be no parking issues at Bryce Canyon or Cedar Breaks, tomorrow.

MRI and MRA of brain scheduled for 13 Nov. Right eye is now moving full range and double vision has less separation since onset 9-10 Aug.

Ride safe, my friends!
Good luck with the MRI and MRA...good to hear about improved eye movement...I hope your recovery is full.
+1
 
Cormanus_imp said:
pdedse_imp said:
SportsterDoc_imp said:
Wife and I visited Zion National Park today, in our truck.
No wait at the toll booth, this morning, but not a single parking space at the visitor center (huge parking lot). Would not have been an issue on a motorcycle!

Fortunately, where we saw 6 big horn sheep, east of tunnels, we found parking, as well as where we hiked.

Been to Zion on 3 different bikes in past 5 years. Would have been great riding weather, today.

Sholud be no parking issues at Bryce Canyon or Cedar Breaks, tomorrow.

MRI and MRA of brain scheduled for 13 Nov. Right eye is now moving full range and double vision has less separation since onset 9-10 Aug.

Ride safe, my friends!
Good luck with the MRI and MRA...good to hear about improved eye movement...I hope your recovery is full.
+1
+1
+2 maybe things will go so well you will start thinking about buying another bike eh?
 
Best wishes. Good health is elusive for those of us with lots of miles on our clocks.
I decided to investigate sidecars as a means to extend my riding years, glad I did. Wife has a CanAm and your friend is right - they are great machines by t not motorcycles.
At least with a sidecar I can enjoy going to the big box stores as well as quiet jaunts through the country, just not as fast.
 
Thread starter
Thanks to all for well wishes.
Forgot to mention that brain CT scan, with and without contrast, was negative, hence the next step for MRI/MRA, next Tue.

No, no more motorcycling or side cars or 3 wheeled sportscars likely in my future...but I do appreciate the suggestions.

Saw a place that rented Slingshots along highway 89 in Utah and was tempted, but taking the time was not planned.

Keep the rubber side down.
 
Back
Top