Mirrors

Charlie Bravo_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
I know, another mirror thread! They're like oil threads, too many and you can't find your answer in them! But, here's the deal. When I bought my '13 CB, it had bar-end mirrors the PO put on. Did not like them at all. Too small, too flimsy, couldn't see diddley. I got some OEM mirrors from a gentleman on this forum and mounted them, but.... They have issues, too. For one, they give a great view of my elbows with only a narrow slice of what's behind me. I want to extend them out with those mount struts, but no farther than the ends of the grips. I live in CA, where lane-splitting is legal, so I was thinking that an oblong shape would be best to put the maximum viewing area at the outside edge. Has anyone done this?
 
@ ~$150 per mirror that's a hard pass for me. For that pricepoint I'd look into the M-view(glassless) mirrors that could potentially survive a tipover/lowside
 
I have Napoleon bar ends on my Bonneville. Great field of view, they’d look right on a CB, wide view with no elbows, and I’ve dinged fewer cars with them splitting the 405 than I have with the CB500 mirrors on my CB. Those CB500 mirrors would be another good choice. Bikemaster copies are cheap. Both of these choices are oblong.
 
My 2 cents , the cb 500 mirrors work well, personally go with the look of the bike .They protrude about 2 inches past the bar ends.
 
Just took a quick pic of mine to give you an idea of what they'd look like from the rider position. I love them on this bike. With a thick winter jacket I just catch the edges of my elbows, not enough to notice.

They do stick out a bit. I think the Napoleons are less prone to tap a car mirror because they sit lower, and go under must truck/suv mirrors in very tight spaces.
For reference, here's a Napoleon on the Bonnie. Weird picture, they don't stick out as much as this looks like, but you can see the mirror shape. They can also be rotated in to not stick out as far.
 
If you are asking about the 500f mirrors, no noticeable difference for me as far as vibration. I think visibility is enhanced to the front, as well as the rear. You sacrifice the traditional look vs the lollipops, but with a clunky top box and windshield that's the least of my styling worries.

Ben
 
I was joking, Chuck, since both of my pictures look sideways. But I did seem to curse all of Southern California by joking about it. The winds kicked up something fierce, made for a bit of a squirrel ride home.

As far as vibration in the CB500 mirrors, none to speak of on my ‘13 at any speed or RPM.
 
Thread starter
Gone in 60_imp said:
I was joking, Chuck, since both of my pictures look sideways. But I did seem to curse all of Southern California by joking about it. The winds kicked up something fierce, made for a bit of a squirrel ride home.

As far as vibration in the CB500 mirrors, none to speak of on my ‘13 at any speed or RPM.
Ha-ha! I get it now.
alprider_imp said:
These are some truly beautiful items, thanks for sharing, but way out of my price range.
I think I'll try some extender struts, maybe angled forward some to reduce overall width. Thanks for all who posted. Big shout-out to this forum.
 
Hey Charlie Bravo where are you located? I have a pair of extenders I don’t need and you’d be welcome to them. Silver though. Hit me with a PM if interested.
 
Thank you sir! I’ll be playing the Copa room Saturday nights starting February first. Keep the kids home for the late show, it gets a little blue. And please tip your waitress.
 
. looking back, I can see you were joking.. but be careful not to encourage bad mojo.. it makes me nervous, just thinking about my bike falling over.. I couldn't pick it up fast enough.. I did that once for a guy that had just crashed in a turn.. he was just sitting down, trying to compose himself.. when I picked it up, I got gas all over me.. no good deed goes unpunished, I guess..
Chuckk ..
 
Last time I helped to pick someone up, a girl had panic stopped on the 405 and fell over. She was pinned under her Fury chopper and traffic was honking at her. Nobody in a car could be bothered to stop and help.

I stopped traffic, pulled the bike off of her, and helped her to the shoulder, and went back for the bike. It was low-speed, but the wind was knocked out of her. She had trouble speaking, but was pointing to her pocket. I pulled out her phone from the pocket she was pointing to, and handed it to her. She struggled to unlock it and handed it to me with a number ringing so I could tell that person she had crashed.

Not to change the subject, but it was a good lesson to me to set up the emergency security bypass on my phone for my wife's number. I also put a big red note in the baggy in my jacket that holds my registration/insurance stuff, with my wife's phone number and my blood type. I figured whoever rolls up on me if I can't communicate will need that info.

And last time I dropped a bike, it was my Nighthawk 750 in front of my office. Several coworkers were out front, and I got distracted talking to them and didn't lower my side stand. The bike fell over. I played it cool and just walked into the office like I meant to do it.
 
You are a good person Gin60, and some sage advice indeed.

What's wrong with the others? Fortunately, not everyone is so self-absorbed.
 
Back
Top