Mirror Adjustment Question

deltamark

Running like a top
Thread starter
Having a hellacious time trying to tighten one of the mirrors on my 2014 CB. The two adjustment nuts are totally locked and I can't loosen them. Anyone know if the larger bottom nut
d12a9c6ee89724c33e2c8d6dfa0a62ee.jpg
should be turned clockwise or counter clockwise to loosen?
 
Depending on which mirror you’re trying to adjust, the threads will be reversed (clockwise to loosen). I’m not sure if it’s the L or R mirror.
 
Thread starter
LongRanger_imp said:
Depending on which mirror you’re trying to adjust, the threads will be reversed (clockwise to loosen). I’m not sure if it’s the L or R mirror.
Didn't realize that made a difference. It's the right-side mirror.
 
Our OEM mirrors fit either the left or right sides. One part number.
What LR said is true, reversed threads. I had the same dilemma, since the mirror was scratched up, I gave up, bought a new one with the hardware and cover.
Give our forum friend Rudy a treat today!
 
Thread starter
Thanks Suhawk and LongRanger. Gonna' throw some heat on it and see if I can break it loose. If not, I just may order a "backup" mirror. ; )
Taking Rudi on a ride today and will definitely give him some treats!
 
I’m pretty sure the R mirror has the reversed threads. If you’re sitting on the bike, you can push the R mirror away from you and the stem will tighten. Pull it towards you and it will loosen.

If you push the L mirror away from you, it too will tighten, because its threads are normal, not reversed. Pull it towards you and it will loosen.
 
Try carefully loosening the other mirror to see which way the threads are.
It's easiest to loosen the upper jam nut when it's still on the bike, like a 3rd hand.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
I’m pretty sure the R mirror has the reversed threads. If you’re sitting on the bike, you can push the R mirror away from you and the stem will tighten. Pull it towards you and it will loosen.

If you push the L mirror away from you, it too will tighten, because its threads are normal, not reversed. Pull it towards you and it will loosen.
I respectably disagree LR. I have used the right side adaptor bolt and lock nut on a mirror on the left side. Revilla lists one mirror, one bolt adaptor and one lock nut that fits both sides. https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda/motorcycle/2014/cb1100-ac/switch-cable

I have replaced both mirrors on my CB1100 (I got to quit falling down at our rallies! :s)
 
Actually, you can BOTH be right.

The "breakaway" mirror was designed so that in a crash where rider went forward, the mirror would rotate "forward" somewhat too, for safety.

Yamahas used to have a left mirror with left hand thread, and a right mirror with right hand threads - exact "mirror-images" of each other. Sorry.

So to cut the number of mirror parts in half, manufacturers went to reversible mirrors, like on the CB1100. As Suhawk 305 says, left and right mirrors and parts are identical, just rotate the mirror head on the shaft 180.

The threads on the mirror itself are left-hand. The threads on the bike in both master cylinders are right-hand. They need an adapter with right-hand male threads to screw into them, but a left-hand female thread, with a left-hand lock nut, that the mirror screws into.

Snug the adapter onto the bike, thread the nut up the mirror, thread the mirror into the adapter most of the way, and snug the lock nut in to set the mirror angle. The mirror should "break away" in either direction if the adapter or jam nut are not over-tightened. If overly tight, pushing either mirror will cause it to tighten one thread and /or loosen the other.
 
pekingduck_imp said:
Actually, you can BOTH be right.

The "breakaway" mirror was designed so that in a crash where rider went forward, the mirror would rotate "forward" somewhat too, for safety.

Yamahas used to have a left mirror with left hand thread, and a right mirror with right hand threads - exact "mirror-images" of each other. Sorry.

So to cut the number of mirror parts in half, manufacturers went to reversible mirrors, like on the CB1100. As Suhawk 305 says, left and right mirrors and parts are identical, just rotate the mirror head on the shaft 180.

The threads on the mirror itself are left-hand. The threads on the bike in both master cylinders are right-hand. They need an adapter with right-hand male threads to screw into them, but a left-hand female thread, with a left-hand lock nut, that the mirror screws into.

Snug the adapter onto the bike, thread the nut up the mirror, thread the mirror into the adapter most of the way, and snug the lock nut in to set the mirror angle. The mirror should "break away" in either direction if the adapter or jam nut are not over-tightened. If overly tight, pushing either mirror will cause it to tighten one thread and /or loosen the other.
I see your point PK, Good clarification. :thumbsup:
 
Yep, I stand corrected. Interesting that you mentioned Yamaha. The last time I struggled with mirrors was with my ‘73 RD350. They were indeed threaded differently.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
Yep, I stand corrected. Interesting that you mentioned Yamaha. The last time I struggled with mirrors was with my ‘73 RD350. They were indeed threaded differently.
I vaguely recall fussing with the mirror on the '76 RD400. In addition, the bike did not come with a right side mirror - but the law at the time said a left mirror was mandatory.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
I’m pretty sure the R mirror has the reversed threads. If you’re sitting on the bike, you can push the R mirror away from you and the stem will tighten. Pull it towards you and it will loosen.

If you push the L mirror away from you, it too will tighten, because its threads are normal, not reversed. Pull it towards you and it will loosen.
No, not correcting you - you are right, in that because each mirror assembly has a left and a right thread. They should move in either direction, depending how it was tightened at the adapter or lock nut. Pull it towards you, and one thread wants to tighten, the other wants to loosen. Pull it and the opposite happens.
 
My two bits to this story: while we always assume right (hand/side) or left (hand/side) is clear enough and universal - It is not. In order to define right or left one always needs to add an axis and a direction (meaning a vector). The standard convention on screws could make you believe ... "hey, a right hand screw, ... right ? IMHO two out of ten readers will be confused with this solution too.

About delta's OP, forget about spanners and how to save the nuts shown in the picture - that is too late.
If you can't replace the mirror (the best idea), if you have to fix the one you have, do this:
- hold the "upper or top-left nut" tightly with a solid vice (hopefully attached to a solid work bench),
- take heavy pliers, tighten with both hands and turn left (and applying what I said above), turn left here means : when you look down the mirror arm from the nut's end you turn against the sense of the hands of your watch (hopefully not an Apple watch).
 
Left hand threaded fasteners have a notch cut in each corner of the hex shape so you can tell if the thread is "backward". Some industrial equipment has "backward" threads that are marked as such. If you want to save that fastener, dose it with WD and let it sit overnight, then tap it lightly to set up a vibration to get the fluid to seep into the threads.
 
Back
Top