Micks Pics

Dang..how cool is that. Can you imagine riding a Rudge?
 
Just beautiful. I miss when motorcycles were gloss black with gold hand painted carriage lines. Classic never goes out of style.
 
Thread starter
Just think Ferret, I just turned down an offer to have a drive, it was quite a beast to kick into action, bit of decompression lever, retard ignition, and wallop, it really was a fire breathing beast and hadn't got the nerve to drive his nearly £20,000 bike...
 
Wow. Meet him at a big ol parking lot, let him start it and then you drive it in a circle. Just to be able to say you've ridden one. How cool would that be?
 
It cracks me up somewhat that people don't think the CB 1100 is capable of high speed runs when in 1928 a fellow on a factory 500 Rudge set the two hour record at over 100 mph and in the 1930s on pre war steel frames, spindly azz spoked wheels, pre ww2 rubber, really basic suspension, sucky drum brakes and crappy roads the production Rudge 500 like the one your buddy is riding could be run at 90 mph.
 
Thread starter
Just think over 100mph, I presume that was average speed, on one of these it is really out of this world. Now the suspension, at the rear, erm, nothing. This was the Ulster model, named after winning the Ulster GP. Later models had a bronze cyl head.

Now here we are in 2014 talking about trying to put a Honda on the main stand and Rudge had a long lever connected to a series of levers one pull upwards and onto the stand it goes, easy.
One thing ,the Honda and the Rudge both look amazingly uncluttered and functional.
Must photograph them side by side......
 
If I could ride that I am sure that is as close to heaven as I could come while on this planet!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top