Metzeler Roadtec Z8 Interact

these Z8 are the sh*t! "plush" is the best description I can come up with. I won't be surprised if they wear out quicker than the bias tires. even if the front doesn't cup/scallop. heck, it's almost like riding on air. running them 36 / 42 btw.
 
thx john, sounds really cool!

I have found a strange thing with these z8's my gas mileage has been 49 with the d205 then 50 with the sport demon. now all of a sudden up to 56mpg with the z8's! can the diameter of these tires really be that different? and oddly, rpm/speed seems exactly the same. so, what's going on here?
 
finally found metzeler data sheet. the z8 is actually about .2 of an inch taller than the sport demon. therefore I can only deduce that the rolling resistance of the z8 is incredibly lower than the demon. (and the d205 for that matter) and results in awesome gas mileage! if you're thinking taller tire = better gas mileage, real world, yes, but the computer wouldn't see it that way. the computer only know how many revolutions the tire makes. taller tire make less revolutions over same distance so computer think hasn't gone as far, so it would report worse gas mileage, not better.
 
Thanks for the info, jimgl3! I have only had the Z8s since taking ownership, so not much to compare to. Which I got +55 MPG, I usually see around 45.
 
I think it must have to do with their tension belt technology to improve the life of the tire as opposed to multi compound.
 
Thankyou Django for your quick review and advice on the Metzler Roadtec Z8's.
In Australia we don't have the Z8 140/70-18 size in the country so I've imported a rear tyre from the USA. There really are very limited options with the 18" wheels. No Pirelli Angel GTs or Michelin PR4s or Metzler Roadtec 01's....but thankfully there are the Metzler Z8s.
I am really looking forward to how they run compared to the original tyres in two weeks - I'll post again.
 
got about 1600 miles on them now. i think i can see/feel just the slightest flat spot in the center of the rear tire that is about an inch wide. not bad at all so far as i'm concerned, considering the ride and gas mileage. what awesome tires!
 
goodvibes_imp said:
Thankyou Django for your quick review and advice on the Metzler Roadtec Z8's.
In Australia we don't have the Z8 140/70-18 size in the country so I've imported a rear tyre from the USA. There really are very limited options with the 18" wheels. No Pirelli Angel GTs or Michelin PR4s or Metzler Roadtec 01's....but thankfully there are the Metzler Z8s.
I am really looking forward to how they run compared to the original tyres in two weeks - I'll post again.
Hey there 'goodvibes' and welcome to the forum. Please do give a report on the Z8s, I'm curious to find out what you think of them.

Which tyres are on your bike now and how have they worn for you? Mine are the Dunlop 205s and whilst the rear is fine after only 8,000km the front is badly cupped.
 
The Bridgestone T30 EVO is now available in 140/70-18, though I'm not sure if they're available in Oz. I'm running this tire on my K1200RS and have been impressed so far. I just bought a pair of Dunlop Roadsmart 3's for my M620. It's a nice tire too.
 
AussieFlyer, how do you feel about the PR3s if, of course, you can still get them? The rear is oversize, but I find the ride perfectly OK.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
The Bridgestone T30 EVO is now available in 140/70-18, though I'm not sure if they're available in Oz. I'm running this tire on my K1200RS and have been impressed so far. I just bought a pair of Dunlop Roadsmart 3's for my M620. It's a nice tire too.
Looking forward to impressions of this tire vs. targeted competitor PR4.

Regarding Metzeler Z8 Interact, this was the OEM tire on my F800GT and I was not a fan of the tire. As someone said in the thread above, the rear would step out unexpectedly and the wet grip was not the greatest. The rear quickly got a flat in the center that obliterated the wear indicators along with any sipes in contact with the road when the bike is standing up. So, zero water pumping action once the flat appears. The final insult is when the compound tread wears through in the center and the soft compound scrubs off in 150-200 miles, leaving you with the sudden appearance of white cords.

I'm all-in on the PR4s for my GT and am on my second set.
 
Me too. I've been impressed with the PR4's treadlife on my GT. The M620 only weighs about 385 lbs and isn't very powerful -- I anticipate the RS3's will last quite a while.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
AussieFlyer, how do you feel about the PR3s if, of course, you can still get them? The rear is oversize, but I find the ride perfectly OK.
Hey there Cormanus,
I've not tried the PR3 on this or any other bike but many fellow CB riders are reporting how good it is. I am reluctant to put an oversized tyre on the rim as it will cause the tyre to deform and might affect the way the bike feels when cornering. Members are saying it handles just fine however I would prefer standard 140/70 dimensions if available. Not sure what options we have here in Oz but there is a set of Z8's at the local bike shop. I don't do any serious touring so mileage is not a concern however the cupping/stepping of the front tyre is an issue that needs to be fixed. I'm hoping some modifications to the front end will cure, or at least improve. My thoughts are that the front is under sprung for my weight and riding style on the bumpy local roads so my next project is to install 0.9kg/mm springs and emulators with 7.5W or 10W for oil.
 
My next tires on the CB1100 will be the Metzeler Z8. In fact, the front tire arrived yesterday and the rear is expected today. I still have plenty of tread left on the rear but the front is toast (as mentioned in a prior post).
 
I got a set of Z8s last year and I really like them. The bike handles the same as it did when new, and I like the fact that the rear is dual compound so it should last a good while.
 
Hi Guys
Well 800kms from new on the Z8's.
Very cold weather at the moment.
So far generally very good to excellent except for this experience:

Air temperature +10'C and the dry road would be quite cold, crossing white lines at a mild lean angle with only gentle throttle and both tyres completely slipped over the white line - no grip at all
 
Back
Top