mesh jackets

jimgl3_imp

Been there
Thread starter
I'm looking for a mesh jacket for summer. all input appreciated!

p.s. I'd like to share something I learned this morning... I thought my pool cover pump had failed. big puddle - not good. I remembered the hot mist vaporizer I used a while back said if the motor doesn't start add some salt to the water. I tossed a few hand fulls of salt into the puddle and the pump started pumping! saved me about $110. That will just about pay for some mesh jackets!
 
I have a Tourmaster (my usual favorite brand) and a Joe Rocket.

The Joe Rocket has larger holes in the mesh and flows a lot more air.
 
Wonder what the salt does? I have really hard water, and usually have to run vinegar through the coffee machine and the pump for the cat water contraption every few months.

I have worn all sorts of mesh jackets, just have to find one that's a style and color you like. I've had Joe Rocket, really nice, so is Scorpion. My current two are Olympias. One is hi-viz, and one is an olive color, with a thermal liner which makes it usable longer into the cooler months as well.
 
I use Scorpion EXO and its build appears durable wash-after-wash. So far no complaints. It didn't even blink an eye when the bike dragged me down a hill. It is not a cold weather jacket.
 
Considering our local weather mesh is the go-to material for jackets, and my figure will mostly allow italian brands to be a perfect fit, so currently I have one Alpinestars and one Dainese in my gear closet. They fit slim and true to size. I find Dainese to be lighter and provide a better airflow. It generally feels thinner and apart from that also has huge zipper vents in the front, armpits and back.
I have always been attracted to Icon (these especially for the fact that they have D3O armor all around) and Rev'it and tried them on for size in several occasions, but find Icon to fit very wide around the torso if the sleeves for, and Rev'it too narrow in the sleeves for the desired length.

My general advice would be to go and try the jackets rather than buying online, especially if you are getting a new brand for the first time.

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
 
Thread starter
thanks for all the info guys! Ferret I too have tourmaster and joe rocket jackets, just never a mesh one yet. I really like both company's jackets. I wish there was a shop closer by where I could try them on. I went the drive to cycle gear once, and recall they didn't have much in stock other than xs and 3xl. the L and XL don't last long.

even though it's not mesh, I'm leaning in the direction of this:
Joe Rocket Atomic 5.0 Jacket. Anyone got one?
034f7b3e250c85dc633ee7f5269bd305.jpg
 
If you’re stuck without options to try on the jacket you’re interested in, if you haven’t tried http://www.mororcyclegear.com they have a program where you can order two sizes, and returning the one you don’t want for a $8.99 return shipping label.
 
I've bought quite a bit of stuff from them over the years. You can find some dandy deals in their close out section. They used to be called NewEnough.com a decade a ago because they sold a lot of used racing gear, but I think all they sell is new gear now.
 
Add mesh pants for the win!! :D

Most of my gear I had to trash the foam armor and replace it with D30 pads.
 
I have a Joe Rocket mesh jacket and have loved it. I’m looking for another this year because the color has faded on the back. Still quite serviceable but looks old. So I’ll be following this thread.
One thing I will say about the JR is that it comes with a rain insert that works very well plus the insert combined with a sweatshirt will allow you to use it in some pretty cool weather.
 
I have a Joe Rocket Phoenix Ion jacket that comes with padding, a waterproof liner and an insulated vest liner. It is my only jacket I wear during warmer weather and it had held up well after 4 years. (I wear a leather jacket when the temperature drops in the 50’s.) Cycle Gear lists a hi-vis option.

I also wear an now obsolete model of Firstgear mesh pants.
 
When riding air temperatures sustain above 15C, I switch over to the Scorpion EXO mesh. I can't stand humidity + heat.

All other rides gets the Triumph-branded gear or the Barbour (English) coat. Triumph is definitely used for deep-freeze riding (e.g. -45C at freeway speeds).
 
I've had a Tourmaster Air Intake 4.0 mesh jacket for a while. I like it when it gets hot. I wear an evaporation cooling vest under and it makes the heat bearable.
 
Thread starter
change gears... I'm going out on a limb... I just ordered a Viking Cycle Ironside mesh jacket. $50 shipped from Amazon. before you say too much, I watched several videos on Utube and they appear to actually be the same quality jackets as name brands, just without the name brand. Ultimate Motorcycling got one to test in 2014 and with regular use, by 2018, still no failures. That's not bad. actually, that's darn good! I have a Joe Rocket Honda jacket, the red and white one, big leather honda logo basically the whole jacket, and the first dang thing I had to do was have a leather shop sew a real main zipper into it! So, anyway, I'll let you all know how it goes, and some photos too...
 
jimgl3_imp said:
change gears... I'm going out on a limb... I just ordered a Viking Cycle Ironside mesh jacket. $50 shipped from Amazon. before you say too much, I watched several videos on Utube and they appear to actually be the same quality jackets as name brands, just without the name brand. Ultimate Motorcycling got one to test in 2014 and with regular use, by 2018, still no failures. That's not bad. actually, that's darn good! I have a Joe Rocket Honda jacket, the red and white one, big leather honda logo basically the whole jacket, and the first dang thing I had to do was have a leather shop sew a real main zipper into it! So, anyway, I'll let you all know how it goes, and some photos too...
On sale for $40 at the Viking web site although I'm sure that doesn't include shipping. Quite the deal but I see no mention of armor or even pockets for armor.
 
Thread starter
yes, $15 shipping there... the Amazon one specifies CE armor also, and it appears they have been improving their armor over time. besides, I have a box full of armor of many types from my 7 years on track...
 
Back
Top