Men's Fall Trip... pics added complete

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
This years Men 's Fall Trip is 6 days riding the curves in central Kentucky with day loops based out of Berea. My brother FZ-1, my son FZ-1, my sons FIL ST 1300 and myself on my CB 1100 are this years participants. This is our 6 th annual fall trip. I will have to fill in the pics after I get back next weekend, but will give the narrative.

Day 1 dawned overcast and cool..well cold really. 46 degrees. I didn't dress warm enough. I think my new Fox Creek leather and old blue jeans are good down to say ..oh, 60 degrees on a naked bike lol. We pulled out at 9 am headed east along the Ohio river then crossed the river on the ferry into Kentucky. That was followed by 160 miles of curves down thru the horse farms and hills in n/e Kentucky. Of particular note was 19, 62, 1504, 627, and 89. The sun finally came out and the temperature climbed to 63, still cool but almost comfortable. We pulled into the hotel 6 hours later. An amish restaurant at the next exit down provided an excellent dinner. Now we are hunkered down for the night. Total miles for Day 1 was 190.
 
Thread starter
ES I took you on 19, 62 and 1504. 89 is a similar road only much longer.I think you ran some of it with your group didn't you.
 
Yes. 89 was our Tail of the Dragon training road. LOL
I think we took 89 from Winchester to McKee, then 421 west and a little north toward Berea. What a crazy little road. :)
 
It's a bit of fun trying to see where you went, Ferret. Looks like a good ride.

Something like this, perhaps?
 
Thread starter
Sort of Cormanus.... We took 52 in Ohio to the Ferry. crossed the river and picked up 19 and took it to to 62. ( then a loop on 1504 just because it was fun) 62 into Cynthiana, in Cynthiana we picked up 27 and took it to Paris, in Paris we picked up 627 and took it to Winchester. Then Picked up 89 and took it to Irvine and picked up 52. Took 52 over to 25 and 25 south into Berea.
 
Almost every rider I know enjoys taking their bike on a ferry ride. I've crossed the Mississippi the Ohio (with Ferret) this way and I guess it's the "trip within the trip" aspect of it that makes it so much fun.
 
The ferret_imp said:
ES I took you on 19, 62 and 1504. 89 is a similar road only much longer.I think you ran some of it with your group didn't you.

Here's a pic from 89. Cheryl's waving to ya, Ferret. :hello:

[/img]

Now, get some of your own pics up on this thread!
 
Thread starter
hi Cheryl. :hello:

Yep, only have Ipad with me in motel. Will download pics when I get home to PC

Looks about right Cormanus. Can you do these in a picture map?

Todays rt...From Berea, 21 east to 421 south. 421 south to 30 north. 30 is a devilishly curvy road we took to 11. 11 north to 715 and a wonderful ride thru the Red River Gorge area. At 77 we turned west and went and saw the Nada Tunnel. 900 feet long blasted thru a mountain. Wild! We again picked up 11 north and followed it to 82. From there we headed west until we ran into 89. 89 south we have talked about but the section we were on today was " comparable to North Carolina curves" according to my son. We stopped at a little place called "the Right Place" on 89. It was great. The kind of place ES's group would love. I ate there 7 years ago with my son, and 11 years ago with my wife. Definitely a great place to eat. After lunch we continued on 89 until it dead ended into 421 at McKee, then took 421 north to 21, and 21 west back over to Berea. For dinner we rode 10 miles up to Richmond, Ky for some smoked BBQ ribs, wings and pulled chicken at a place called Sonny's. Another great meal. Beautiful sunny weather, 46 for the low this morning, and mid 70's for the high.

Today's loop was a good one. 222 miles.
 
So jealous, Ferret. I wanted to hit some of those roads in April on our way to Berea, but we couldn't schedule them in. Can't wait to see the pictures. I made note The Right Place and Sonny's. Ride To Eat, baby!
 
Thread starter
Sometimes I think about leading small groups of motorcyclists on so e of the great roads loops we have in this area of the country...but that sounds like a job..and I retired so I wouldn't have to work ever again. Don't mind sharing the info on all the great roads though.
 
The ferret_imp said:
hi Cheryl. :hello:

Yep, only have Ipad with me in motel. Will download pics when I get home to PC

Looks about right Cormanus. Can you do these in a picture map?

Todays rt...From Berea, 21 east to 421 south. 421 south to 30 north. 30 is a devilishly curvy road we took to 11. 11 north to 715 and a wonderful ride thru the Red River Gorge area. At 77 we turned west and went and saw the Nada Tunnel. 900 feet long blasted thru a mountain. Wild! We again picked up 11 north and followed it to 82. From there we headed west until we ran into 89. 89 south we have talked about but the section we were on today was " comparable to North Carolina curves" according to my son. We stopped at a little place called "the Right Place" on 89. It was great. The kind of place ES's group would love. I ate there 7 years ago with my son, and 11 years ago with my wife. Definitely a great place to eat. After lunch we continued on 89 until it dead ended into 421 at McKee, then took 421 north to 21, and 21 west back over to Berea. For dinner we rode 10 miles up to Richmond, Ky for some smoked BBQ ribs, wings and pulled chicken at a place called Sonny's. Another great meal. Beautiful sunny weather, 46 for the low this morning, and mid 70's for the high.

Today's loop was a good one. 222 miles.
Ferret, I assume you mean the second instalment. I'll have a go. I can probably also turn it into a picture at some stage.
 
Thread starter
Doesnt matter its just easier for me to look at a map to see if its right than to read all the text

Today we did the orange loop..green loop tomorrow

 
Thread starter
Yep that was yesterdays loop. Good job Cormanus!

I have to learn how to do that. That would be great in the tank bag map case each day.
 
It's a bit fiddly, but it's getting easier. I reached the limit of waypoints with that map, though, which I reckon is a limitation. The link to Google maps doesn't work properly on my iPad, either. The mapping functions are much better on a PC.

Pterodactyl used the latest Google MyMaps in his last report which gives more scope, particularly for daily rides.

Tell you what, though, drawing maps isn't nearly so much fun as riding the routes you draw. :)
 
Cormanus. I have the same issues as you do with Google Maps, but I still like it for what it does do. One thing that I do if I am running out of "points" is to add a few "destinations" in to the mix. So in your map above, you could have added Irvine, McKee, and Berea as destinations. At least I THINK that helps. I'm easily confused, though.
 
Thread starter
Day 3 46 again going to mid 70s and sunny skies. Couldn't ask for prettier weather. Today we did the green loop on our map.

For Cormanus... 21 east to 421 south to 11 south at Manchester. 11 south down to 25E to Barbourville. East on 25E to 66 at Pineville. from Pineville we took 66 north to 11 at Oneida then 11 north to 30 at Booneville. Then 30 west over to 421 at Tyner. Last leg of course was 421 north to 21 and 21 west over to Berea.

11 was good from Manchester to Barbourville, 66 was awesome, and 30 was again awesome.

Dinner was at a place in Berea called The Dinner Bell.. Looks huge, but its small and quaint inside. Full of blue hairs. I felt like a youngun lol. Country home cooking. I had breaded bone in pork chops (2), real mashed potatoes and gravy, fried apples and sweat tea. ES you need to put it on the list.

Total miles for the day 245
 
Back
Top