Melted headlight

I've seen this happen on the outside lens when a bike is left idling for a long time and a jacket or cover is draped over the light. Could also be sun reflection, since sportbike windshields have been known to melt gauges.
 
Figuring that if it happened once it can happen again i took a transparent piece of paper ( a receipt in this case ) held it over the top part of the headlight and with a torch held at the same angle the sun would illuminate the headlight and aiming at the bottom half of the headlight i could produce a blob in the area that the spot is shown.
Initially i entertained the theory that the co2 content was higher in the headlamp :rolleyes: but i just could not prove that so i'll stick with Lord Popgun's et all findings :P.
 
On my 2007 R1200R, I put some clear cling vinyl over the lens to prevent stone chips. Within a few months, similar cracks developed. I figure my effort to protect the lens created too much heat trapped in the plastic.
 
Back
Top