May buy a brand new 2013...

Bheezy27403_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
I currently own a 08 Bonneville and love it, however, the wife is a former div 1 volleyball player and at 6'4 it's a little cramped with her as a passenger. I've been looking at several bikes but have always wanted the CB. I've said if they ever import the CB I would buy it. Well a few years later I may finally make that happen. A local dealer has a 13 that is left over and has never even had the batt hooked up. Wants $7699+blah,blah,blah.
Questions. How does this bike ride two-up? Is the pillion comfy? The rear pegs look a little high up and the wife's legs are loooong. Any feedback from owners with passengers?
I am going back to the dealer tomorrow with the wife so we can check it out but would like to hear from some with experience.
Thank you in advance for replies.
 
Hmm...sometimes the CB seems a little small and cramped even to me riding solo, I have very long legs and the 1" higher K&H seat helped me. I've only carried my 5'4" wife a few times on the back, not sure I would want to be carrying around a passenger very much on the CB....but I am sure others do and can share their experience. It certainly has the power and smoothness though...
 
Wow, that certainly is a tall lady!
I have always ridden alone, but I don't think your pillion will be at all comfortable on the CB.
It would be a smart move to go to the dealer and sit on one first.
 
I owned an '07 Bonnie and currently have a '14 CB standard. There is no noticeable difference in comfort for your passenger. My wife, all 5'2 of her, wasn't very comfortable on either bike. She can only tolerate the CB on shorter rides around town. Her knee starts to bother her on rides over 30 minutes and she doesn't have much room back there. At 6'4, I imagine your wife's knees will be tickling your shoulders as you ride. In my opinion, this wouldn't be a good bike for her. I'm sorry to say that. Otherwise, the bike handles beautifully with her on the back.
 
Thread starter
Thanks for the reply gents. I sat on it yesterday and really liked it. I'm going back today with her to see if she "fits".
Anybody have any more first hand experience with pillions?
Thanks metal guitar. To be fair, she is not that uncomfortable on the Bonnie but I am looking for a few more cc's to pull us around better and not straining the tranny/engine while maybe gaining more room. I love the CB and it has a relatively flat seat. A lot of others I have looked at have the pillion seat very high above the drivers. As tall as she is I need her center of gravity as low as possible.
 
I'm 6'6" and my girlfriend is 5'4". I don't find the CB to be a good two-up bike for anything longer than local 20-30 minute rides. The rated load limit is mid-300 lbs. and the suspension isn't the greatest.
 
Thread starter
Turns out the pillion geometry is nearly identical to the Bonnie. About 17" from the seat to the pegs.
I can't believe it says the max capacity is 351!? The Bonnie is rated higher than that!

Anywho...I bought it!

I will put an introduction in the "hello" thread when I get some time. Gotta get to work.
 
Well, it appears you opted for shorter legs for the Mrs. rather than miss out on this great bike! You did say, if they ever import the CB, you'd get one. A man of his word. Congrats and welcome to the forum!
 
I can't contribute much to this thread, but wow... 6' 4" volleyball player wife?! Nice... ;)

There are some aftermarket seats that are higher for the passenger (and rider) which may help a bit.
 
I owned a thruxton and now a cb11 and can tell you though i suppose the cb isn't the greatest 2 up machine it is a whole lot better than the triumph. First off the power is so much better the extra weight doesnt really bog the cb down like it did the triumph. My daughter finds it much more comfortable and i don't feel nearly as cramped as i did with the triumph. The brakes are so much better too so there is that. If all you are doing is around town stuff i'd have little concern over the comfort factor for 2. If you are planning on serious 2 up touring i think it's not the right bike. Big ole lumbering cruisers, goldwings, and ST BMWs are better suited.
 
My wife loves riding on the CB with the backrest installed, however I'm 5'8" and she's a mere 5'5" so I doubt that that's much help for you. I suspect she might be too tall for a great many bikes, but take her along to the dealer and see how she fits.
 
Thread starter
It's worked out very well. We've gone for a couple jaunts and it is definately better on the CB than the Bonnie. The torque curve is much better for two up on the CB and you're right about the brakes, suberb front set up. I don't see us going state to state but the mountains and beach are definately in range.

I'm going to post a thread about aftermarket farkles to make it a little more capable/comfy. I know search is available just want to chat with you guys a bit to get to know some folk.

Thanks for all your input.
 
Bheezy27403_imp said:
I currently own a 08 Bonneville and love it, however, the wife is a former div 1 volleyball player and at 6'4 it's a little cramped with her as a passenger. I've been looking at several bikes but have always wanted the CB. I've said if they ever import the CB I would buy it. Well a few years later I may finally make that happen. A local dealer has a 13 that is left over and has never even had the batt hooked up. Wants $7699+blah,blah,blah.
Questions. How does this bike ride two-up? Is the pillion comfy? The rear pegs look a little high up and the wife's legs are loooong. Any feedback from owners with passengers?
I am going back to the dealer tomorrow with the wife so we can check it out but would like to hear from some with experience.
Thank you in advance for replies.
two up on CB is not comfy because the bike is heavy already, others will suite you more. Try out many before making purchase

I take it with my son in the back and do uphill, the bike is under powered two up
 
Thread starter
From the few rides we've been on I believe it has quite adequate power. I'm actually very impressed. The power is low in the rpm range which gets us moving then the extra cc's keep us there.
 
Back
Top