Maui Wowee!

emptysea

Road warrior
Thread starter
Cheryl and I were invited to spend a week (plus an extra weekend) with her brother and his wife at their condo in Hawaii. All we had to do was pay our airfare. Pretty sweet deal and one that was too good for us to pass up. So on Friday, January 26th we boarded a non-stop flight to Kahului Airport on the island of Maui for week of fun, sun, and as it turns out, motorcycling.

Tony and Janet both have their M designations on their licenses, but Janet decided shortly after taking the safety course that she really did not like riding motorcycles. On the other hand, Tony and I rode a Saddle Sore 1000 together several years ago and still try to ride all day on the Summer Solstice. Really an excellent natural rider. I've never seen him get way out of whack on slick or gravel roads or to do anything stupid in traffic anywhere. He suggested that we rent bikes when we were in Maui. Seemed like a fine idea to me, so I arranged for 2 Yamaha FZ/MT-07s to be available through Eagle Rider on Feb 1.

Tony rides a BMW R1200GS when in the states. He's 6'3" so I was a little worried about comfort for him on the Yamaha, but he said he'd be fine. As for me, it was the closest I could come to the ergos of my CB1100 so I figured I'd be fine, too. It turned out to be a more than competent street bike for me although I think mine needed new tires or possibly a better rider (or both).

The day before our ride, I get a call from Steve at Eagle Rider explaining that one of our bikes had burnt clutch and would not be available for us. He could get another MT-07 from across the island or I could sub in another bike with no up-charge. Then he ran down the list -- all Harley cruisers or touring bikes. I hated to make him get a bike delivered, but none of the ones he had listed for us would be suitable to our ride. Tony had told me that some of the roads we'd be on were in pretty bad shape and there were "a few short stretches of gravel" along his planned route. I figured that a bike called "Street Glide" is probably not well-suited for chewed up asphalt and crushed lava rock. I asked "I don't suppose you have some sort of 'Adventure Bike' in your shop, do you?" Steve said, 'Well we have a Pan America here if you want it" I said that I didn't want it, but that Tony would probably appreciate the taller stance. Deal done.

We walked the 2 blocks or so from the condo to Eagle Rider late in the afternoon on the day before the ride mainly because Tony wanted an early start for the ride the next day. The timing of the start as well as the counterclockwise direction of our route was chosen to avoid traffic especially oncoming traffic on very narrow roads. I had no idea of the validity of Tony's theories because this was my first visit to Maui. Turns out that it was probably the right way to go for the reasons that Tony speculated plus the fact that we'd have the ocean on our right for the entire ride which would lead to some spectacular and sometimes terrifying views.

Headed out 8:00am. Decided to eat breakfast at a little diner called Grandma's Cafe' which is near a couple of famous cattle ranches (true fact) and Oprah's home. I was far more interested in the former, but even more interested in getting back to Grandma's as we had stopped there for breakfast two days before when we drove up to the Haleakala Crater to watch the sunrise.

b45494693cbcc63f206b8c6f758aab1b.jpg

Haleakala Crater, Sunrise, January 27, 2024

4b4040179125cc013de2613d5591029f.jpg

Grandma's Coffee House

Since we were on an island in the Pacific Ocean and all, I had set a goal of having fish at least once a day. This was easily achieved and I usually had it twice/day. Always very fresh. In fact, we splurged for dinner at the famous Mama's Fish House on night where they list on the menu the person who caught the fish being served and when and where it was caught. Off the topic at hand, but Mama's is the most beautiful restaurant I've ever eaten at and our meals and the servers where impeccable.

I was surprised to find "Fresh Fish and Eggs" on the menu at Grandma's when we stopped on our way to the volcano. I was also surprised, though not as much, that rice was a breakfast side dish. I employed the "When in Rome" strategy and ordered the Ono (aka "Wahoo") and scrambled eggs with a side of rice. For those that don't care for fish, I get it, but for those that do, try this for breakfast sometime.

On my second visit, I had hoped that they would have Ahi or something other than Ono to go with my eggs. No luck, so I decided to add another Hawaiian staple to my meal. SPAM. SPAM is a huge part of the food culture in Hawaii. SPAM was introduced to the the U.S. market in 1937, its name a portmanteau (a term I only learned in preparing this report) for "spiced ham". Brought to Hawaii during WWII to feed the US soldiers and sailors stationed there, it quickly found its way into local households and restaurants. Now, almost seven million cans of SPAM are eaten in Hawaii every year, more than in any other U.S. state, according to Hormel.

f5a5009937d6d90c3f5c9d69a2ae0ba5.jpg

Fresh Fish and Eggs

9faeb2fd2f07d96873d4483198031edc.jpg

Omelette with a side of grilled SPAM

Grandma's marked the real beginning of our ride around the island. It's in the "upcountry" area of the island, away from the ocean and into the volcanic hills, where the roads get curvy and not as well maintained. Think farm roads on the mainland, a good comparison since Upcountry is dotted with cattle ranches and farms.

Tony lead the entirety of the ride as he had driven it in a car the last time he as on the island. Almost as soon as we left Grandma's on the Hana Highway, a sign confronted us warning "Road Closed 20<something> Miles Ahead". Tony, on his rented Harley Pan-Americal was not as concerned with the prospect of closed roads and suggested that we could ride down to the closure and then back. We had stopped to talk about this at an overlook and two V-Twin riders showed up. Tony talked to them. I could see one shaking his head and the other nodding his. Tony walked over to me, sitting atop my MT-07 street bike and said, "These guys say it'll be fine". I set aside my suspicions on the veracity of that statement and got mentally prepared for what was to come -- GPS Tracking On. Life Insurance Paid. Said "I love you" to Cheryl before leaving. OK, I'm good.

0b728646f307edc1d48f6ef1c1c17b81.jpg

Tony in the foreground, checking his route. Paradise in the background, doing what paradise does.

Off we went on "The (Back) Road To Hana" as it's called. Also called: HI 37, Kula Hwy., Ulupalakua Rd. until it changes to HI 31, aka Piilani Hwy (which I think is Hawaiian for "Pee a Little Highway") and finally Hana Highway, HI 360 into and out of the small town of Hana on Maui's southern tip. That's a lot of road names for not a lot of actual road. Fully paved, this would be a street rider's dream road with lots of sweeping turns, then switchbacks, elevation changes, and magnificent views. It was difficult to discern if sections were always gravel (ground up lava rock) or the pavement had just decayed to that point. The smoother sections were clearly paved once, probably shortly after statehood. The road had highway mile markers, which seemed a bit nervy to put out on something that really doesn't count as a "highway" by any modern metric.

The ride was beautiful. When I told of our adventure to others who have been on this route, some of whom are riders, and mentioned that we rode around the island counterclockwise, they said things like "bold move". They're point being that along with the ocean views to our right the entire way, so would be steep drop-offs, road washouts, and oncoming traffic pushing us close to the precipice rather than into the side of a hill. I didn't really think of this until we got to the "road closed" area. They were repairing a narrow stretch of the highway which hugs the mountain tightly with an incredibly steep drop off. It was barely one line and since it was "closed", there were no instructions for traffic on either side to wait for oncoming vehicles. Fortunately, the one oncoming vehicle waited for us to get through. As we exited the Road Closed area, a couple in their (rented) BMW convertible drove around the sign, encroaching on me which is why I remember. He had a "I'm such a scofflaw" look on his face as he passed. I remember thinking that he's not going to feel so cool when he realizes he can't turn around on this footpath with an ego for probably 20 miles without significant risk to both his safety and his rental car agreement.

73e7a23058acc70a1abd1b633860f0ff.jpg

There are far more cattle in the Hawaiian Islands than most people would imagine. I think they're on the road because there is so little difference between it and the rest of the their grazing area.

a66f00ead226d5849630ec6156cd5e8b.jpg

Back Road To Hana
b8fc84b96dd44be23113b95a3aa8b604.jpg

Back Road To Hana
0fb219fad4f06338fb6a7ad9faf358de.jpg

Around this corner was where it narrowed down for the construction. Probably about 4' narrower with the construction portion against the rock wall. It had me bit on edge, as it were.

Shortly after squeezing past my adventurous BMW renter, the pavement improved as did my disposition. This was the beginning of the actual Hana Highway/HI 360, I believe. Still narrow, but more recently paved (although that could mean 30 years ago), it ran through the outskirts of Hana. Hana is a "census-designated place". I'm not sure what that means in terms of governance or anything, but it's not a town, village, or city by the US definitions of such places. They do have a "Welcome to Hana" sign which, along with two large plots of land filled with food trucks, greeted us as we rode in.

First stop was for comfort. Then we found a food truck to our liking for lunch.

661fe76bdcef569657f5cd185c9d48ff.jpg

Tony looking relieved for a couple of reasons.

6ac8414a2a33016be2502e96158a7371.jpg

This little coffee shop wasn't quite open for business when we parked, but the name made us giggle.

99f865c191b7c7b554b18e18a8819732.jpg

Da Fish Shack was open. And delicious.

e32ca30f6dd47a5bd24214e56cb30205.jpg

Sesame-glazed Ono (or maybe Ahi, I forget now) with broccoli and rice. From a truck. On the side of the road. Pretty amazing.

After lunch, it was off around the east side of the island and north toward the town of Paia (Pie-A-ah). This section of HI 360/Hana Highway is what most people think of when you say "the road to Hana". It's curvy and beautiful. and paved. There was a lot more traffic here so while this probably was the best street motorcycling stretch of the entire tour, we spent a lot of it behind slower vehicles. Next time, and I sincerely hope there's a next time, we'll not circumnavigate the entire island, but rather head directly to this section of Hana Highway first thing in the morning. I think 5-0 takes credit cards for traffic fines, but I'll bring my checkbook just in case.

d589561e530f8778fbba4dd639e3e221.jpg

The road "From" Hana (at least for us on this day)

I think I'm at the max number of pics so this is the end of Part I
 
Wow! What a cool trip! That first picture at the crater... you took that? That's an actual view that you saw?

By the way, I'm extremely jealous. Mrs. G is ending one job, and had planned a long enough break till the new gig for us to take a trip to Hawaii.
Unfortunately, the new gig is in dire need of her services and talked her into starting sooner, so we scrubbed the trip.

But when we do end up going, I wanna do what you did!
 
Thread starter
Gone in 60_imp said:
Wow! What a cool trip! That first picture at the crater... you took that? That's an actual view that you saw?

By the way, I'm extremely jealous. Mrs. G is ending one job, and had planned a long enough break till the new gig for us to take a trip to Hawaii.
Unfortunately, the new gig is in dire need of her services and talked her into starting sooner, so we scrubbed the trip.

But when we do end up going, I wanna do what you did!
It was a trip of a lifetime, but I hope to make it at least two trips of a lifetime. Either that or add another lifetime.

Yes, I took that picture at the crater. I will post a few more of those pictures and a couple other non-ride photos that turned out pretty good considering I use the "infinite number of monkeys..." technique of taking photos.

Eagle Rider near Ka'anapali (if I spelled that correctly) treated us very well. Ask for Steve, but don't tell him you're going to Hana and if you damage the bike, be sure it "didn't happen on the way to Hana". No damage to our bikes, fortunately.
 
I think I like all your breakfast meals, MTC.

Looks like it was one heck of excursion that should resonate with you for a long time.
 
Yes. Wow. What a great trip, EmptySea. I’m looking forward to more.
 
Part 1 was everything I hoped it would be. Classic MTC.
 
Well chronicled; very enjoyable read, MTC - :thanks:

Did you go up to Haleakala for sunrise on the motorcycles? That is one twisty road - I can't imagine riding it in the dark :worship:
 
Thread starter
The Rest of Our Day

8c4d604008a2567da045cfe52295362f.png

Here's a picture of our route.

Just Tracking 2024-02-01 07:38
This link will allow you to zoom in and will show a few stats, but I did not think to set up my tracking app that keeps more precise data and which produces an interactive map. -- looks like I'll just have to go back sometime for the betterment of the Seat Time thread. :)

You'll see the town of Paia at the top centerish. Hana is at the far right side of the picture. The road that connects those towns is the paved section of the Hana Highway and it is a magnificent stretch of road. As I said, I think a very early morning run would be the best chance to have real motorcycle fun here, but it's so beautiful that entrance, exit, and overall speed were of no concern to us.

You may think for a second that we did a figure-8. We did not. You may have to look at the linked map to see that we kept the Pacific to our right the entire ride.


Just outside or Paia is Ho'okipa Park Beach. It's one of the more famous surfing beaches on the island, so therefore one of the more famous surfing beaches on the planet. I'm not a surfer. My brother is. He's surfed here many times by his text message to me that day said that now that he's a little older and a lot less bolder he surfs at a slighly quieter beach about 5 miles on the other side of Paia. BTW, I think the actual pronunciation is Pah-EE-ah not Pie-A-ah as previously reported. They took my money with a smile either way, though, so it's all good.

The weather was looking not as great as we would like and we still needed to get back with the bikes by 5:00 so my hope of having a cigar at Ho'okipa and watching some of the best surfers ride some pretty big surf was quashed by the time we arrived there. I did get a few photos here.
16d7cd1699ed81a28e6d1dd004787d11.jpg

ff14cccd42aff03982de898f6ea077e5.jpg

d7d02a0b29810ce9255afeb9a1004a86.jpg

c9cc9fe474cc2c2758abc0790ef0e911.jpg

There is at least one surfer in the water in at least one of the above photos. You can play "Duude...where's Waldo?" if you would like.

Our timing for the beach stop was bad because the next set of big waves came in as we were pulling out of the parking area. I saw 3 or 4 surfers pop up on the waves, but could not get a pic while navigating the sandy uphill exit to the lot.

We navigated through the cute little town of Paia and then the not so cute or little airport town of Kahului and on to Kahekili Highway (HI 340), which Tony and I just called "The North Road", for the trip around the northernmost end of Maui. Hard to put a number to this, but I'd say that was 3-4 times as technical as any part of the Hana Highway, including the unpaved portions we encountered dropping down from upcountry to oceanside. Stunning views. Narrow but nicely paved road. Cars that generally pulled over to let us pass. All of that on the good side. A rain that had fallen just before we got there, washing the roads with a thin layer of wet red sand from the mountain walls was all that was on the bad side and that was enough.

I am not as skilled a motorcyclist as most reading this. Tony is and even though he was on a bike better suited for the conditions, he said it was nerve-racking. One-lane downhill switchbacks with signs on both ends saying "Yield to Oncoming Traffic". Pretty crazy stuff, but nothing that had me truly scared until the "oncoming traffic" was a small school bus whose driver either didn't see me or thought I was supposed to yield to him. I did. I yielded to him in the apex of a downhill left to right hairpin. Came to a complete stop, trying to keep my body weight back on the bike while the bike wanted to toss me over the bars like it was PBR Tour bull. But I stopped. Bus driver waved to me meekly as he completed his uphill left hand turn from the outside lane. Took me a second to get my confidence up to let off the brakes and get the bike turned around the rest of the corner, but I did it without dropping it which is to say that I successfully navigated the turn. Just not stylishly. Rear tire slipped out on the very next switchback and any self-confidence I had left slipped out with it. I sort of limped my way though a few more of these tight turns until the pavement was a little drier and the turns maybe not quite as tight. I began to feel like I knew what I was doing again.

ac97dd63c6324e46c63c52b75bd4eea0.jpg

This was the only yellow bus I was happy to see on the North Road. This photo was taken for my second-best riding pal (you know who the first is, I hope) who I wish was riding with us on this adventure.

050c41d3c22c48b3d94f39922752af1f.jpg

b3350edaf707d7249753448eb0053873.jpg

347b2a075fd2bddc2eab4f4aacf8dc34.jpg

c9ee1c9cb24f7d1f6f51fc547348d043.jpg

Stunning Views. Nicely Paved Roads. All that was on the plus side.

From where it starts to get really twisty until it mellows out, about 22 miles from just north of Kahului to just north of Kapalua, Kahekili Highway is easily the most technical riding I have done. It was also the most beautiful route I've ever ridden.

We got the bikes back at 4:50 and that's when we learned about the road restrictions in the rental agreement. Steve seemed not care since the bikes were returned in good condition; not sure he would have cared that much even if they weren't.

We headed back to Paia the next day, but in our rental car, to have dinner at Mama's Fish House. I'll post a couple of pics from there later. Probably the best dining experience I've ever had.

I have a lot of friends who have been to Maui. My brother has gone there every year for the last 40 years. Since I've been back everyone has been asking me about the highlights. The conversation goes something like this:
Me: "We saw the sunrise at Haleakala"
Them: "Me too! It was amazing!"
Me: "We went to Mama's Fish House for dinner."
Them: "Me too! It was amazing!"
Me: "We had Mai Tais at Monkypod".
Them: "Me too! They were amazing!"
Me: "We rode motorcycles around the island from Ka'anapali to Hana and then from Hana all the way back along the north shore.
Them: "Wait, what?!?"

Lots of memories from this trip. Not a bad one in the bunch. I'm glad that I have similar experiences to share with so many of my friends and family, but there's something special in the relative rarity of what Tony and I did February 1, 2024. I hope that when my memory begins to wane that this motorcycle trip lingers. Except for the part about the school bus.

More, non-mc related, Maui photos to follow.

Thanks for following along.
 
Man, what a cool trip! The roads look rather well paved and maintained. Lots of twists and turns for sure!
No doubt the memories of the ride will stick with you.
So, big question is, do you want an MT07 now? Or take-it-or-leave-it?
 
Thread starter
MT07 mini-review. Fun bike. Very much "lighter" feeling than the CB1100. Ergos felt very similar to the CB, but I bet they measure out to be very different. I think that the CB1100 would have been less forgiving during my under-confident stretch, but then again, being on a familiar bike may have made up the difference. I liked the MT07, but I don't want to own one. Ask me about the BMW 850 GS I'll be riding for 10 days in Scotland, though. That might be a great second bike for me (although, I'm intrigued by the Honda Transalp, too).
 
Thanks, Empty. I see a lot of MT07s running around in traffic here. Seems like a perfect commuter bike, but not cheap, even used (MY definition of "not cheap", not most people's).

Scotland? Geez dude, just keep makin' me jealous, why don't ya? I have lots of rental miles on the F750 and F850GS, running up and down the West Coast for MotoQuest. All-day comfortable for me, smooth, the only issue I have is fiddling with the windscreen to reduce buffeting at highway speed.

Get used to this view...
 
Thread starter
Sunrise to Sunset


Haleakala Sunrise, January 27, 2004

f19c4b7c63abf40f2eed1a165bc851d7.jpg


c8b9670f60f0ce2f0ea343518de1120f.jpg


Monkeypod...
...is a type of tree that is indigenous to Hawaii. It is also the name of a bar on Maui that serves one of the best Mai Tais on the planet.
dec3cd50586f2620ba4aa0e617190906.jpg


7534307c32912449e6211d967e8b78c5.jpg

A Mai Tai usually is a combination of light and dark rum, orange liquor, ogreat (an almond syrup), and lime juice. Monkeypod tops theirs honey-lilikoi (passion fruit) foam. The result is a fun, flavorful, and quite boozy drink; a combination that can lead to many poor decisions. Most of ours involved spending money at the stores surrounding the bar.

c96606a7933a5425cfa2c0185d879573.jpg

Purchasing Maui Jim sunglasses after a couple of Mai Tais would probably be considered one of those poor decisions on paper, but in reality, it was a pretty great one.

Castaway Cafe...
... is an "Old-Hawaii" diner. Family owned and run. Like stepping back into the 1940s.

b7e0a46d575f44c288f08854c2d3d30a.jpg


b6a39062e07994a7f285d0d968c61e38.jpg

EOM with SPAM, Portuguese sausage, and rice. Just about Hawaiian as a breakfast can be. Fun fact - A portion of SPAM has roughly 5 times the amount of sodium as a portion of bacon. :)

Mama's Fish House...
...is one of the most beautiful restaurants I've ever been to. Service was exquisite, food was delicious, the setting was stunning. I did not take too many photos here and almost none of our food. I regret that, but you can do a google search to see what we saw. It won't be the same as being there, though. You won't be able to taste the ocean breezes, or run your hand over the hand-crafted bar or sense that you are the most important person in your waiter's life at the moment he's talking with you. Or, but I have a photo of this, know what it's like to kiss your beautiful wife in such a beautiful setting.

fc98001b26288dbaf9327a7b0da2a76d.jpg

My shirt was another "poor decision" made after the Monkepod Mai Tai stop.

Beach Time

dd59c44565e79cb77d3b3fbb55d83bbf.jpg

Got to watch surfers from the beach in front of our condo. My brother says that it's very rare to have good surf along this beach. I took my time to enjoy the view and a very good cigar. Yes, I was more interested in a good picture of my cigar than a good picture of the surfer. LOL

2bfb6da684a8a377215d3a4c0e21eeff.jpg

Not all the beaches are sandy, but they all are beautiful. Note to my photogs: this shot was taken with my iPhone. the only adjustment aside from a slight crop was to bring up the brightness a bit. Pretty lucky.

2ea9ab8000d494dfcbe1a39b4c2caa50.jpg

Photographers talk about the golden hour. I guess I know what that is now. This one is only cropped - no adjustments at all as I recall.
 
Stellar images, MTC.


Note to self:

To get MTC to buy you sumthin', offer him sacrifices of Mai Tais, then together go shopping afterwards.
 
Dude, you're killin' me with these pictures. That's the most beautiful place I've ever seen, and I've never been there.

Only consolation I do have is that Mrs. G makes one heckuva Mai Tai.
 
Back
Top